Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
Where did you hear that by the way? I know that in Buffalo he's widely regarded as the best, but has ESPN or Sports Illustrated ever made a list? Do you have a source? The last list I read ranking Jeaneret as very bad was on ESPN's website.

Jeanerret was ranked 7th best on this list (and the LA Kings announcer, as you called him, was 6th).

The 10 Best Current NHL Broadcasters | Bleacher Report

People often forget (or overlook) the fact that Neale & Jeanerret also do a radio simulcast which is the main reason their descriptions (especially Rick's) are in such detail (and its also a big reason why they are very much respected by their peers).

On this list Jeanerett & Neale are ranked as the 4th best pair in the NHL ..........

Rating the NHL's Best Voices

Quote:
4. Rick Jeanneret and Harry Neale (Buffalo). Jeanneret is a legend in Buffalo, and rightfully so. I've talked to Sabres fans who want the team to win a Cup for him. He's an acquired taste, no question, but he's also leads this group in overall enthusiasm. Neale is a good compliment, as he still knows the game, even though he isn't as sharp as he used to be.

It all comes down to personal preference, if you are a fan of the down to business type guys then someone like Hughson, Rosen or Emerick would likely be your favorites ..... if you prefer the more colorful call then there are none better than Lange & Jeanerett.

Last edited by jblake78728; 03-12-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 02:14 PM

207 posts, read 501,050 times
I won't disagree that Jeanereret is as enthusiastic as any, which you want from the hometown announcer. The difference is that 90% of hometown announcers make the game bearable for people who aren't fans. My team never almost never plays on cable so I subscribe to Center Ice, I get to hear all the announcers at once or twice each year. Jeaneret knows the game as well as any (then again, so do I, I played in a major junior league from 1983-85). The fact is when you listen to other announcers, they clearly go for their home market, but they aren't piercing each time their home team does anything remotely good. Ah well, to each their own - It's a matter of taste so I shouldn't argue.

I can argue one thing though, my team has over 20 more Stanley Cups than the 0 that the Sabres have (and yes, that is my trump card )

I really do like Neale and the analysts for MSG though, especially Rob Ray.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I can argue one thing though, my team has over 20 more Stanley Cups than the 0 that the Sabres have (and yes, that is my trump card )
I'm not a Sabres fan (though I'd like to see them do well cause I live here) so your trump card means nothing to me.

My team has only been in the league since the 79/80 season & they have 5 Cups ........ in that same time frame your team has 2

Quote:
The fact is when you listen to other announcers, they clearly go for their home market, but they aren't piercing each time their home team does anything remotely good.
The Colorado Avalanche & Nashville Predators are 2 of the worst homer crews Ive ever heard.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 PM

207 posts, read 501,050 times
Heh, the worst part is I'm from Calgary, if there's one team I hate... Well, you know

Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Heh, the worst part is I'm from Calgary, if there's one team I hate... Well, you know
The feeling is mutual ........... though after spending several years in Colorado I have to admit that I hate the Avs every bit as much as the Flamers, their fans are the absolute worst.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Sabres really needed to win last night. Toronto is still hanging around in the playoff hunt...

Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 AM

185 posts, read 418,318 times
Quote:
I've never heard that once, except in Buffalo. When I read lists of worst sports announcers the two NHL announcers that almost always come up are Jeanneret and the LA Kings announcer.
this

Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
Where did the name Sabres come from? From what I recall, I can't think of anything in Buffalo that is associated with the teams name.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Where did the name Sabres come from? From what I recall, I can't think of anything in Buffalo that is associated with the teams name.
I believe they held a contest to name the team back when they first got the franchise.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:52 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,105 times
How the Sabres got their name ....

In 1969, owners Seymour Knox III and Northrup Knox wanted the team’s logo and name to be unique. “Bison” was a common choice for Buffalo sports teams, but Knox wanted something different. Because of that, the organization held a name-the-team contest, where fans could submit suggestions for the team’s name.

Sabres owner Seymour H. Knox III drops the ceremonial first puck to kick off the first ever NHL game at Buffalo’s Memorial Auditorium, October 15, 1970.
The winning choice came from Harry Cole, a Toronto filmmaker, and the Sabres have kept the name ever since. Knox III stated that a Sabre was a weapon carried by a leader and could be used effectively on both offense and defense.

The dictionary definition of a Sabre is “a stout single-edged cavalry sword, having a curved blade.”

Many have wondered why “Sabres” is spelled the way it is. With Buffalo being an American team, why isn’t it spelled “Sabers”, just as the other New York teams are spelled with -er endings (Islanders, Rangers)?

Buffalo is right on the border with southern Ontario and a quick trip over the peace bridge takes just a few minutes to get from Canada to the First Niagara Center. In fact, Sabres play-by-play man, Rick Jeanneret, resides in Canada and makes the commute to call the Buffalo games.

Since the team was established, Buffalo’s fanbase has had a large portion of Canadian fans. There were enough that made the trip down to the arena that the Sabres became the first NHL franchise to perform both the U.S. and Canadian anthems before every home game, and they still do it to this day.

- See more at: How the Sabres got their name | Sabres Hockey Central
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area