Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 PM

112 posts, read 281,311 times

Advertisements

Buffalo's population decreased by nearly 11 percent in last decade - Census - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/census/article375470.ece - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM

969 posts, read 2,058,972 times
Another city stat geek.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM

3,961 posts, read 5,702,373 times
I just read the sad news today. Ouch! And to add insult to injury, while Rochester lost people, Monroe County actually gained. And of course the overpopulated Big Apple did too.

The last estimate in 2009 before the census came out said Buffalo had around 270,000 people. This either means that 9000 people left the city for good in one year alone or the estimates were too optimistic that the population decline was slowing down when in actually fact it was picking up.

There has got to be some way to increase Buffalo's population again.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:02 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,768,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRocks View Post
Buffalo's population decreased by nearly 11 percent in last decade - Census - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/census/article375470.ece - broken link)
I looked at the map. I live where the population has grown in the top 2 groups.... I am really not happy about it. It was so much nicer BEFORE developments started to encroach on the area we have lived in since the early 1970s. Even individual new homes seemed like the people thought they were "new" "big" and "better"... but if only a few came, it was tolerable.

I can only pray the farmer behind us never sells out.... then we stay reasonably safe. The town "new development newbies" have little respect for an environment where people all get along with each other.... instead, they move in like ants and rather than trying to fit in, try to take over.

What aggravates me the most is that the people who move here come and overtax services and then complain about taxes. I worry that we will come to a point where our volunteer fire and ambulance may someday not be able to function due to the growth....

Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 AM

207 posts, read 499,795 times
Huh? The only time people overtax services is when they move here and go straight to welfare which many do. Is that what you're referring to? I doubt it because these folks have no taxes to complain about.

Anyone who pays taxes here has the right to complain about our crazy taxes. What services do we get that other states don't besides the largest welfare burden per capita in the nation?

And sorry you feel that way, but what we need is new development. People who say we don't and block everything new are as big a problem around here as any. The fact is people like new homes, they don't want to live in homes that are 50 years old unless they have to most of the time.

I can't believe that there are still people on here who are completely oblivious that anything is wrong. Just saying "it's their loss" when 1/20 of our population moves away every ten years is why we in the position that we are in. As much as I will miss parts of this area, I will not miss the backwards thinking welfare/selfish mentality that is so pervasive here over other places.

And I bet I'll be another one who will be told "he's just one guy, we didn't need him anyway." This has validated the fact that leaving Buffalo is the right move.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,768,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
Huh? The only time people overtax services is when they move here and go straight to welfare which many do. Is that what you're referring to? I doubt it because these folks have no taxes to complain about.

Anyone who pays taxes here has the right to complain about our crazy taxes. What services do we get that other states don't besides the largest welfare burden per capita in the nation?

And sorry you feel that way, but what we need is new development. People who say we don't and block everything new are as big a problem around here as any. The fact is people like new homes, they don't want to live in homes that are 50 years old unless they have to most of the time.

I can't believe that there are still people on here who are completely oblivious that anything is wrong. Just saying "it's their loss" when 1/20 of our population moves away every ten years is why we in the position that we are in. As much as I will miss parts of this area, I will not miss the backwards thinking welfare/selfish mentality that is so pervasive here over other places.

And I bet I'll be another one who will be told "he's just one guy, we didn't need him anyway." This has validated the fact that leaving Buffalo is the right move.
No, I mean OVERTAX as USE THE SERVICES TOO MUCH, not COST.

Example: where I live we have had a very stable population and one fire dept ( volunteer). When you add several apt. complexes and a senior citizen nursing home and several developments, you put EVERYONE at risk. Our friends in the FD say they are not getting lots of new members nor donations (I donate to them as much as I can as they are a valuable resource). When you increase the population and don't increase the services, you "overtax" their use.

I live in a 50+ year old home. I love my home. I don't need massive apt. complexes built 2 miles away or all the farms turning into developments. For starters, it causes problems like flooding. The fields to absorb rain and snow, the more chance of flooding with runoff. These developments overtax the utility grid and water and sewer... sure, it looks great in the development, but if you live upstream or downstream, it affects you.

You want all new houses to alleviate old ones? What do you thing should be done with old ones? That is why the city is falling apart: No one clears out the old houses and build ones of market value. Maybe if they did, the city people wouldn't run out here and buy little 60X120 ft. lots, build big houses on them and immediately want a 6 ft. fence around "their land" to keep kids safe ( or whatever). Good grief, we live on 4 acres and never needed a fence; we just told our girls to stay out of the road!

When you move to Tennessee, I hope you enjoy the place. I also hope people there for many years enjoy you in their backyards.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 AM

People like you are exactly why we can't grow. I'm sure that you're happy with everyone moving away, more WNY for you then right? I'm going to guess that you've never moved into a city with quick growth, because if you had, you'd know it's pretty nice to see old areas with nothing turn into shopping malls and nice divisions that create thousands of jobs.

Honestly, the why people here are, we are one banjo away from Deliverance. I'm proud not to have been born with the genetics and welfare mentality of this area, and proud to say that I was NOT born in New York.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 AM

112 posts, read 281,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I looked at the map. I live where the population has grown in the top 2 groups.... I am really not happy about it. It was so much nicer BEFORE developments started to encroach on the area we have lived in since the early 1970s. Even individual new homes seemed like the people thought they were "new" "big" and "better"... but if only a few came, it was tolerable.

I can only pray the farmer behind us never sells out.... then we stay reasonably safe. The town "new development newbies" have little respect for an environment where people all get along with each other.... instead, they move in like ants and rather than trying to fit in, try to take over.

What aggravates me the most is that the people who move here come and overtax services and then complain about taxes. I worry that we will come to a point where our volunteer fire and ambulance may someday not be able to function due to the growth....

Speaking of Fire protection in WNY , 99% of them DO NOT
providing Paramedic level care, which is the standard in the rest of the country. Most of WNY & City of Buffalo Fire Department provide the same level of care that you got in 1960's. just basic first aid it's 2012,

Also any populated area in the country has a manned paid fire dept
they are at the station 24/7, they meet nfpa standards and will have the first truck at the scene with in 4 minutes, Most of WNY is volunteer
they are not at the station, they have to come from home, they have to get out of bed, drive to the station, get dressed and then drive the truck to the scene, buy this time brain death has happened in cardio arrest or if there trapped in a burning house, it's to late the save the victim or the house. watch the news, everytime a volunteer fire has fire it burns to the grown

Also the city of Buffalo Fire dept closed some many fire houses up
in the last fews years, that there s big gaps of protection
Buffalo fire department has been cut back & is so smalll they cannot
have a 5 alarm fire anymore because they don't the resources.

Even on a 2 or 3 alarmer apparatus is reponding clear across the City
from the west side to the east side etc... talk about long response times
Which is the norm for in the City everynight theres multi vacant & crack house's set on fire (which is another issue) On top of that there's very little fire protection cover to the rest of the city.

L

Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM

I've actually wondered about this... Do we really not have paid firefighters? It does seem odd that our taxes are so high, and we can't afford to pay firefighting staff, if that is indeed true.

I didn't know that it was so bad here, I was under the impression that firefighters did as good a job here as any place else, but I would feel more comfortable with fully staffed stations... Definitely not a major issue or even a factor in my decision to move away, and I don't think that it's that important to people around here.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,596,831 times
oops... i may have contributed to that 11%..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area