Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM

115 posts, read 232,962 times

Advertisements

donbuy, I'm glad you could see some humor in my post. I really had an unpleasant experience there, but I realize some people really love it because it is home to them. My nonBuufalonian friends and I used to get a kick out of certain perhaps not so accurate impressions that Buffalonians had about themselves:

1. Buffalo food is hot
2. Buffalonians are friendly
3. The Bills were always one season away from winning the Super Bowl
4. unions protect workers
5. The next big business to come to town was going to save the downtown
6. They have no accent
7. The schools in Western New York were good

Related to #1, I used to dare locals to hot sauce contests for a good laugh, until one day the guy competing against me stopped breathing temporarily due to a bad reaction to eating hot food.
#2, I got sick of people calling me a redneck and asking where my hood was simply because I wasn't from New York. I saw more discrimination there than anywhere else I've ever been.
#3, self explanatory
#4 how many union workers does it take to change a light bulb? It doesn't matter, it will never get done anyway.
#5 are they still using that excuse to give tax dollars to incoming businesses?
#6 Buffalonians have strong nasal accents. One girl got offended because I simply couldn't understand her Depew accent. I got tired of repeating myself, due to the fact that my accent being too close to what the English colonists brought over.
#7 I went to UB unfortunately. Not sure why there are whole classes dedicated to Puerto Rican lesbian authoresses (No joke).

Yes there is some humor in my posts, but not entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:25 PM

744 posts, read 1,767,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
donbuy, I'm glad you could see some humor in my post. I really had an unpleasant experience there, but #7 I went to UB unfortunately.
Yes there is some humor in my posts, but not entirely.
Don't be modest I would say entirely. I especially like that line about it taking you 7 years to get your 4 year degree from UB.

Not being a native of New York State and having lived here for well under a decade, I can clearly see that your posts are meant to be nothing more than humorous - you have clearly brightened up my Monday

Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
UB, U of Rochester & Cornell are consistently ranked among the top 25 research schools in the country. Those same 3 schools along with RIT also put up good rankings in the US News Best Colleges yearly report. Buffalo, Rochester & Cornell are all also members of the prestigious Association of American Universities, a 62 member group that has been called the most elite organization in higher education. That's not a WNY impression, its fact.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM

donbuy, I'd still bet you're from the Northeast. And yes, PhDs usually take more than 4 years to get.

UB and RIT are second tier schools at best. Part of my job is to scan new technologies to license. Out of the several hundred candidates that were recommended over the last few years in the sciences, I don't remember any from either school.

Enjoy Western New York. It's all yours! In another two decades, you will have the opportunity to be the last ones to turn the lights out, as the saying goes there.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:58 PM

744 posts, read 1,767,409 times
Quote:
donbuy, I'd still bet you're from the Northeast. .
You'd lose that bet, actually spent a lot of time living in C'ville, lived in Hollymead right off of rte 29. Much better living up here. Better weather, better pay, no grocery or car tax. Win Win for me and mine.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:53 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times
Buffalo has some killer architecture though, they were one of the top 10 largest American cities back in the late 1800's (yes, even bigger than Toronto or Montreal), and for that I can respect the city. It's a shame they lost most of their downtown to urban renewal and freeways though. Buffalo's always a treat to visit.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:

UB and RIT are second tier schools at best. Part of my job is to scan new technologies to license. Out of the several hundred candidates that were recommended over the last few years in the sciences, I don't remember any from either school.

You're obviously clueless as to what Tier II Universities are. All research schools are graded by federal research expenditures across 9 areas, the results are grouped & the schools are ranked. The top 50 are referred to as "Tier I" .... UB is typically in the mid 20's, U of Rochester has been in the mid teens & has broke into the top 10 in recent years. There is no way the AAU would ever even consider a Tier II school (they actually just threw out Nebraska-Lincoln a few months ago) ........ but I'm guessing you're also clueless as to what the AAU is.

Out of all public schools in the US UB is ranked at #58 (3 other SUNY schools are also ranked in the top 60 - Stony Brook, Binghamton & SUNY College of ESF).

Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM

205 posts, read 479,265 times
This time of year always get quiet. I think ti has a lot to do with graduation and people trying to spend more time working on their yards.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 PM

jblake, look up a report from the National Science Foundation on research funding 2002-2009. You can download it from here New federal rankings: U-M first in research spending at public universities | University of Michigan Health System
Evidently, the facts do not back you up. Cornell at #16 did fall in the top 25, but Rochester at #45 and UB at #59 are not. The others are probably buried way down the list.

donbuy, you still didn't answer the question directly. Where did you grow up?
Charlottesville (which is what I assume you're referring to) is okay, but everybody there is from somewhere else so the manners aren't so good. Perhaps you think weeks where the temps never climb above 20 degrees is better weather than Charlottesville. If that's your opinion so be it.

Well, it was fun yanking your chains, but I'm done with this. Perhaps tomorrow I go down to my town's warm beach, pick up some shells, and be thankful for where I come from.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
jblake, look up a report from the National Science Foundation on research funding 2002-2009. You can download it from here New federal rankings: U-M first in research spending at public universities | University of Michigan Health System
Evidently, the facts do not back you up. Cornell at #16 did fall in the top 25, but Rochester at #45 and UB at #59 are not. The others are probably buried way down the list.
You do realize that UB is 39th on your link?

Anyway, here are some real rankings for ya spin doctor ........

Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News

http://mup.asu.edu/research2009.pdf

Quote:
Perhaps you think weeks where the temps never climb above 20 degrees is better weather than Charlottesville. If that's your opinion so be it.
Can't speak for VA's weather but I'm from Maryland & I'm sure it's not that different. While the winter's are milder the sticky summers are awful & can be downright oppressive some years. While I understand that the snow here can scare some people off I personally love it. It was one of the main attractions to the area, the beautiful summers were just a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area