Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:21 AM

22 posts, read 56,785 times

Advertisements

Hi, I visited Buffalo today from Toronto to do some shopping and look around the city.

Overall, I was really unimpressed, but mostly surprised with the activity in the downtown Buffalo area. Most of the streets were empty, all the parks were empty, sidewalks scarce, there was no real activity and overall a very bland experience, especially considering it was a Friday night! I was expecting to see people out on the street, walking, talking and having fun (much like in Toronto...). The people I did meet were nice themselves, but overall the mood was just depressing (the feeling might have been elevated due to heavy fog and rain).

I was wondering, is it always like this? I know this is not the same in every US city (I've been to LA, New York, DC, etc and they were not like this), so was it just a bad time for visiting? Or is it always like this? Is there activity in the downtown area usually?

The shopping side was very good though. Found a lot of stuff that I was looking for at good prices. Some input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 06:30 AM

280 posts, read 674,869 times
Well, being from Toronto, you are likely to be most impressed by cities like NY, LA, and Washington DC, since those are cities of similar size and stature to Toronto.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:56 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Where did you go? If you were downtown you are lucky you didn't see anyone because they likely would have mugged you. Unless there is a Sabres game there is very little going on downtown after 5pm, Elmwood & Chippewa are were the nightlife/activity is.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:11 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Sorry it was disappointing but Buffalo is much smaller and less vibrant than Toronto. There isn't shopping downtown, there are some bars but they are a bit seedy, and there are just less people. Chicago, NYC, Denver and LA are more on par with Toronto, although out them all I enjoyed visting Toronto the most. JMO

Old 05-21-2011, 06:04 PM

25 posts, read 52,347 times
Downtown Buffalo is a Mon-Fri 7am-6pm type of place. From personal experience, I have found that during the cold season, this is pretty much a rule. Unless there's a Sabres game or New Year's Eve, it's pretty empty, except for weekend nights when Chippewa Street is busy.

But during the summer, so long as it's not raining, Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights tend to be much more active downtown. The bars and clubs around Chippewa open up their porches, there are free concerts every Thursday downtown, and it's more lively. More people have moved to downtown condos and waterfront townhomes in the past 10 years. But compared to Toronto and big cities, it is dull. And you really don't go shopping downtown. Elmwood Avenue (the Elmwood Village) is the a very nice place to shop and eat in the city of Buffalo. Otherwise, go to a mall in the suburbs.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloPete View Post
Downtown Buffalo is a Mon-Fri 7am-6pm type of place. From personal experience, I have found that during the cold season, this is pretty much a rule. Unless there's a Sabres game or New Year's Eve, it's pretty empty, except for weekend nights when Chippewa Street is busy.

But during the summer, so long as it's not raining, Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights tend to be much more active downtown. The bars and clubs around Chippewa open up their porches, there are free concerts every Thursday downtown, and it's more lively. More people have moved to downtown condos and waterfront townhomes in the past 10 years. But compared to Toronto and big cities, it is dull. And you really don't go shopping downtown. Elmwood Avenue (the Elmwood Village) is the a very nice place to shop and eat in the city of Buffalo. Otherwise, go to a mall in the suburbs.
Thanks for the response.

Yes when I meant shopping, I meant I went to suburb malls, not in downtown.

And also, it might have been because it was raining when I visited, so most people stayed inside, hence less activity.

But I'd like to visit again when its not raining, its summer and theres more people out.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Sorry you came on Saturday... not much in the city to do. Once they built the rail in the 1970s, businesses left downtown in droves. Now it is a "weekday only" city. You probably missed the waterfront (Naval Park, a few good restaurants, good walking) to see; shopping is malls - the biggest the Galleria in Cheektowaga.

You weren't here for things like the Allentown Art Festival, the garden walks, house tours (they are doing N. Buffalo by Tillinghast in a few weeks/it was in the paper today). No outside festivals -- remember, it is your holiday this week, our Memorial Day next week has parades all over.

I think of Toronto as a relief from cities like NY... Canadians are polite, you are a really vibrant mix of cultures. We are smaller and more laid back and public transport is pitiful.

OTOH, I wouldn't trade this area for anything... we have the laid back attitude most places don't. I came from the NYC area over 40+ years ago and have never regretted it.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
OTOH, I wouldn't trade this area for anything... we have the laid back attitude most places don't. I came from the NYC area over 40+ years ago and have never regretted it.
Now that you mention that laid back attitude part, I couldn't agree more. I never saw so many happy people ever before in my life when I visited the malls (because that's where all the people were). The overall atmosphere was very relaxed, laid back, and not as stand offish when comparing to the big city. I'd definitely relate it with the mentality and grace of a small town, where everyone knows their neighbor. One thing I've noticed with Buffalonians is the feeling of humbleness and contentment; definitely was a changing experience from what I'm used to back home. They're also not afraid to speak out to complete strangers, go out of their way to help somebody, etc, etc, etc; the list goes on. Quite refreshing, actually! I wish everyone could cut out the hustle and bustle and the screwface attitude in their lives and just be happy - like Buffalonians!

That Galleria mall was amazing, had literally everything I was looking for.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:24 PM

28 posts, read 111,868 times
yes,come back in the summer: there are festivals every weekend, music on thursdays in teh square (moving to the aterfront) we will have a weatertaxi now (right?) shakespeare in the park, elmwood strip has lots of nice little restaurants and boutiques. Buffalonians are super nice and thanks for your comments!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denibeans63 View Post
yes,come back in the summer: there are festivals every weekend, music on thursdays in teh square (moving to the aterfront) we will have a weatertaxi now (right?) shakespeare in the park, elmwood strip has lots of nice little restaurants and boutiques. Buffalonians are super nice and thanks for your comments!
Having left the City of Buffalo a little less then 1 year ago, Buffalo summers are what I will miss the most! You can practically find a free concert series every single day of the week (and there have been some GREAT bands). The erie county fair and taste of buffalo are two of the largest in the country in their respective fields, and if you don't necessarily want to mingle with hundreds of people, there's some great state parks within driving distance (Letchworth, Alleghany, Stoneybrook). If you have the ability to come back to the city (and this goes more towards Western New York in general, and not specifically within city limits), do it during the summertime, and I guarantee you will find some fun things going on with friendly people (esp. if there is a beer tent )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area