Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 AM

196 posts, read 443,117 times

Advertisements

This has been on the list for some time. Going to spend 4 days out there. We are not the B&B or 4 star type folks. When I travel for fishing, its usually the Best Western. Decent rooms, good price, and a pool.

Wondering if anyone can suggest a lodging strategy as well a couple of "must sees". I plan on spending a day fishing the St Lawrence, but am not bringing the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 AM

719 posts, read 1,553,844 times
Mark,
I think a first time visitor to Montreal should try to at least hit Old Montreal. Historic City Center: Old Montreal
and Mount Royal Park montreal.com - mount royal park (an Olmstead park by the way!)
Like Buffalo, there are tons of festivals in June & July, so check the calendar of events to see what might be happeing during your visit. montreal.com - festivals
As for lodging, I always stay "on the company dime" near the Bell Centre at the Hilton - not exactly inexpensive, so I can't recommend anything based on personal experience.
Montreal is one of my favorites cities in North America. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
May want to post this in the montreal forum. //www.city-data.com/forum/montreal/

Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 AM

I thought about posting to the montreal forum, but was looking for some solid buffalonians chiming in on their respective experiences.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:25 AM

I go there often but don't stay at hotels so can't give advice there.
A lot of activity on Rue Ste Catherine.

One tip: Most people in the touristy areas speak English but if you learn a couple french words and phrases the locals will greatly appreciate that you are trying.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:44 AM

719 posts, read 1,553,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
I go there often but don't stay at hotels so can't give advice there.
A lot of activity on Rue Ste Catherine.

One tip: Most people in the touristy areas speak English but if you learn a couple french words and phrases the locals will greatly appreciate that you are trying.
Agreed - Rue Ste. Catherine around Rue Crescent is a fun area for visitors looking for good dining options and nightlife.

Excellent advice on learning a few common phrases in French. I have seen marked differences in the way I'm treated in Montreal (semi-fluent in French) vs tourists who don't make an attempt.

Last edited by BigD_JT_14221; 06-06-2011 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: correct spelling error

Old 06-06-2011, 02:09 PM

oh and if it gets really hot out you can always tour the underground.. Underground City, Montreal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-06-2011, 04:18 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Just learn simple phrases like "please", "thank you" "how much does it cost",'where is the lavatory"... you get the idea... and also "I am sorry, I do not speak _____ well (insert language), I speak _________ (insert language)". It always works well, no matter where you are, because if you attempt to speak someone's language, they will know at least you tried.

My BIL had a hassle with people speaking English in Europe so used phrases, then told them he spoke Spanish and English...the idea he was multi-lingual made life a lot easier for him and my sister in France, Luxemborg, Switzerland, Germany and Italy.... none of which are English or Spanish language countries. People care that you TRY to communicate with them in their language.

Go walk the old city, go check out the Underground City.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:53 PM

Excellent advice on the language. I spent a few week in Paris studying finance at the Matif.

I also learned to sneak smokes out of my pack out of my pocket. The French love to smoke.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:27 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Komo View Post
Excellent advice on the language. I spent a few week in Paris studying finance at the Matif.
The people is Quebec are lovely if you make an attempt at French. If not, you will be seen as somewhat rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area