Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,684,985 times

Advertisements

bmd69. Although it's disputed by some, El Paso has consistently ranked as one of the Top 5 major cities for safety. Despite the most dangerous city in the world arguably being a stones throw away, the cartel doesn't like to air their dirty laundry in El Paso. Add to that the border patrol presence and the military presence of Fort Bliss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 02:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,889,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlags View Post
Thanks for the input. My husband would be working downtown. So we'd want a good commute and good schools, plus things to do. The towns I listed were ones given to us.

Based on what you've posted, the ones that jump out are Williamsville, East Amherst and Clarence. Hamburg sounds a bit far and I've done some research and I don't know about the Lewiston hills.

Anything else you can share on these towns would be great

Thanks.
Move to Orchard Park. Best commute to downtown. You'll love it.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:14 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,889,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Plus, Lewiston gets usually 50-60 inches of snow each year. 1/2 to a 1/3 as much as Buffalo (100 inches) and the southtowns (150 plus inches). That is about the lowest snowfall rate you will find in WNY. The lake effect junk from Lake Erie tends to stay south of Lewiston and the Lake Ontario Lake Effect tends to dissipate as it moves inland from Youngstown.
Lewiston is nice but lacks the services, shopping,and amentities of Amherst. It really feels remote up there imo...if you like to drive, then yeah, it's nice.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 AM

22 posts, read 50,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Lewiston is nice but lacks the services, shopping,and amentities of Amherst. It really feels remote up there imo...if you like to drive, then yeah, it's nice.

I am thinking of moving to E. Amherst. I heard that the quality in Tonawanda is questionable. Is E. Amherst in the same boat?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:06 AM

14 posts, read 30,535 times
Air quality in Tonawanda is fine with the exception of the area immediately adjacent to the coke plant.

Living past below Sheridan or east of Elmwood would probably get you exposure to the plant similar to the western areas of Amherst - that is not much.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 AM

22 posts, read 50,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown216 View Post
Air quality in Tonawanda is fine with the exception of the area immediately adjacent to the coke plant.

Living past below Sheridan or east of Elmwood would probably get you exposure to the plant similar to the western areas of Amherst - that is not much.

I will be working in Tonawanda. What areas are the top places you would recommend living? Central location would be my number one priority.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 AM

744 posts, read 1,758,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailbryan View Post
I will be working in Tonawanda. What areas are the top places you would recommend living? Central location would be my number one priority.
draw 2 or 3 mile circle around your place of employment. I would think any area within that circle would be decent. You wold be hard pressed to find any lifestyle issues in any of Buffalo's suburbs especially compared to suburbs of other million plus metros (except for perhaps Lackawanna)

Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
draw 2 or 3 mile circle around your place of employment. I would think any area within that circle would be decent. You wold be hard pressed to find any lifestyle issues in any of Buffalo's suburbs especially compared to suburbs of other million plus metros (except for perhaps Lackawanna)
In Tonawanda, you really can't go wrong, and you have a decent set of choices and price ranges depending on what you want. I just moved to Kenmore in the southwest corner of the town, which is sort of a separate village with some town services such as schools. I have to say, I loved the affordability of the houses coming out of town. Crime across the town is low, they are known throughout the region for being pretty aggressive on crime. Services are pretty great, from what I understand Tonawanda is undergoing a multibillion sewer and water project. Schools also are above average for the state, great amounts of parental involvement from what I have seen so far. Parks department is pretty excellent, plenty of town pools and parks to choose from, love the aquatic center also. Free or cheap classes throughout the year and a great couple of libraries also.

Transit is very good, 10-15 minute driving commute downtown, and the Town is on at least 6 bus lines that I can think of that run frequently, plus very close to the terminus of the Metro Rail station. You can guarantee easy access to Elmwood, Hertel shopping districts or Chippewa bar district downtown in under 25 minutes on the bus most days. Car is even less. Community is generally very walkable, most services such as groceries or schools are never more than a mile walk. Delaware district is seeing some new activity, hopefully will be something like the next Elmwood Village!

Argonne, McKinley, Knowlton and Wardman are probably my favorite streets in Kenmore, very well kept homes, decent lawn spaces for the age of the houses and a great neighborhood feel.

If you want something a little smaller, there are tons of smaller 1 1/2 story houses south of Sheridan and north of Kenmore, along with tons more ranch style houses in the Green Acres neighborhoods.

Larger houses, there are plenty of modest mansions in the Deerhurst neighboorhood, most under 400k. There are also large houses and lots, although less ornate, just north of the Lincoln Park neighborhood near Sheridan and Niagara Falls Boulevard.

The only place I would avoid is the Sheridan Parkside neighborhood. From what I understand it was originally built as workers housing in the 40's and now is somewhat undesirable, although crime isn't awful and problems adore pretty much well contained to the isolated neighborhood west of Military and north of Sheridan. From what I understand the town is currently undertaking a neighborhood revitalization plan to mix in market rate modern housing.

No matter where you live in the town, I don't think you can go wrong! Really a great place to "live, work, and play"!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,684,985 times
Kenmore is about the LAST place to live in the Northtowns. Annoying cops who harass the non-violent but have no stones to weed out the overflow of crime creeping up from Buffalo. The first 10-15 blocks between Delaware and Military that run parallel to Kenmore Ave is White Trash. With an influx of nearby Westsiders renting on many of those streets. You got a scumbag welfare tower right on Delaware Ave across the street from Malone's too. I used to drink at BS Bailey's 15 years ago near Kenmore and Delaware from time to time. I left one afternoon after ONE BEER and was pulled over by a Kenmore Cop parked at the Sunoco. That's entrapment. Of course I passed but the point was I was pulled over leaving the parking lot without probable cause. That village has gone to hell since. Haven't stepped foot in that village since the late 90's.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:27 AM

I'm not native to the area, but I am well-versed with urban demographics and urban policy as that is my field of work. Looking at historical data (I would link, but it is through a subscription to Telestrian GIS system in combination with BLS statistics my workplace uses) the income levels in 14216 have held in line with steady with similar zip codes in the Buffalo MSA. The portion of Kenmore west of Delaware and especially Elmwood looks like it never was extremely wealthy - always working class - hence the bungalows and doubles. I'm not sure where you got your data from, especially considering you claim not to have stepped foot in the village in over 10 years. Do you have a source?

With regards to the section 8 - I talked to the neighbors immediately in the area east of Delaware, near the Ken-Dev studio tower. No real complaints from the neighbors outside the usual. It seems to be well-manage. The bad section 8 tenants come with poorly managed property - which is where a lot of people get their perception from since it's the troublemakers who get the attention called to them. There is section 8 all over Amherst, and I think people would be surprised if they could even tell it was there - it all comes down to the what tenants you accept.

In terms of crime, there has been no noticeable deviation from regional averages - holding steady with minor fluctuations from year to year. Once again, your data sounds empirical rather than something based in fact.

Lastly, why would you go under ANY amount of influence and drive? Even if you think you were fine, that's not your call to make. Alcohol affects everyone differently, and why put the rest of the world at risk just because you think "One beer, I'll be fine"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area