Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:45 PM

9 posts, read 26,149 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Williamsville but have been out north of NYC with my husband for the past 10 years. He has family in Boston and we thought about moving to Albany to be able to travel there and also to WNY but now that we have 2 small children, it seems crazy to always be traveling like we are now. Boston is wonderful but the cost of living is out of reach right now. I am an architect but am happily home with the kids for now. I lived in Allentown a while when I got out of college and loved it. I know where to look online for school ratings. I know the sites for restaurants, events, etc. I have a subscription to the Spree to keep tabs on you guys over the years! I even have my dad swipe my Wegmans card so I can get their Menu magazine sent to me out here.
But there are a few things I'd like the scoop on that I can't seem to find. And I do cling to the posts from the upbeat posters (donbuy, mikesuicide et all- you rock) and the posts from the less conservative crowd to keep my nervousness about coming back at bay. We are thinking Elmwood Village or East Aurora- quite opposites I'm reading- black and white figuratively and literally. Delaware Park area based on culture, diversity, and being able to walk to the corner store for the morning paper or walk the kids to the library. We want a walkable community. East Aurora has the fairy-tale village and excellent schools, appeals to me in terms of safety, but lacks the more liberal crowd. I also wouldn't mind the isolation of EA in terms of not wanting to be right on top of family members elsewhere so geographically it works. We would make sure our children get everywhere- no matter where our actual house is- from downtown Buffalo to Community Supported Agriculture of the farms eastward.
We are not into pro sports, we aren't a member of any church, and we welcome friendship of anyone who is not a jerk regardless of race, orientation, etc.
We will survive and thrive, right? Right? And does anyone know someone in or went to Elmwood Tapestry charter school? I called them and they have an open house in January which will be nice but I think I need to talk to parents more importantly. I'm nervous about buying a house downtown and then not getting into the charter school. Not even sure if it's right for us anyway. Gosh I'm all over the place...
Sorry for the book- thanks for your time to read-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:14 PM

744 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Girl View Post
I grew up in Williamsville but have been out north of NYC with my husband for the past 10 years. He has family in Boston and we thought about moving to Albany to be able to travel there and also to WNY but now that we have 2 small children, it seems crazy to always be traveling like we are now. Boston is wonderful but the cost of living is out of reach right now. I am an architect but am happily home with the kids for now. I lived in Allentown a while when I got out of college and loved it. I know where to look online for school ratings. I know the sites for restaurants, events, etc. I have a subscription to the Spree to keep tabs on you guys over the years! I even have my dad swipe my Wegmans card so I can get their Menu magazine sent to me out here.
But there are a few things I'd like the scoop on that I can't seem to find. And I do cling to the posts from the upbeat posters (donbuy, mikesuicide et all- you rock) and the posts from the less conservative crowd to keep my nervousness about coming back at bay. We are thinking Elmwood Village or East Aurora- quite opposites I'm reading- black and white figuratively and literally. Delaware Park area based on culture, diversity, and being able to walk to the corner store for the morning paper or walk the kids to the library. We want a walkable community. East Aurora has the fairy-tale village and excellent schools, appeals to me in terms of safety, but lacks the more liberal crowd. I also wouldn't mind the isolation of EA in terms of not wanting to be right on top of family members elsewhere so geographically it works. We would make sure our children get everywhere- no matter where our actual house is- from downtown Buffalo to Community Supported Agriculture of the farms eastward.
We are not into pro sports, we aren't a member of any church, and we welcome friendship of anyone who is not a jerk regardless of race, orientation, etc.
We will survive and thrive, right? Right? And does anyone know someone in or went to Elmwood Tapestry charter school? I called them and they have an open house in January which will be nice but I think I need to talk to parents more importantly. I'm nervous about buying a house downtown and then not getting into the charter school. Not even sure if it's right for us anyway. Gosh I'm all over the place...
I work in East Aurora, it is not at all a conservative crowd. It is after all the birthplace of the Roycrofter's. It's like a more politically diverse version of the Elmwood area. If you want groupthink head to Elmwood, if you really want diversity of thought head to East Aurora. The recently completed Main Street reconstruction is beautiful, there are more fine restaurants and stores of all stripes from the eclectic to those needed for everyday living found in walkable areas of East Aurora than there are on Elmwood, plus the crime rate is near zero. Also unlike the Elmwood area projects in East Aurora get completed, and done right like the new CVS going up on Main Streed built right up to the curb with apartments on the second floor.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:09 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
I work in East Aurora, it is not at all a conservative crowd. It is after all the birthplace of the Roycrofter's. It's like a more politically diverse version of the Elmwood area. If you want groupthink head to Elmwood, if you really want diversity of thought head to East Aurora. The recently completed Main Street reconstruction is beautiful, there are more fine restaurants and stores of all stripes from the eclectic to those needed for everyday living found in walkable areas of East Aurora than there are on Elmwood, plus the crime rate is near zero. Also unlike the Elmwood area projects in East Aurora get completed, and done right like the new CVS going up on Main Streed built right up to the curb with apartments on the second floor.
didn't EA also vote out a wegmans? yikes..I'd do anything for a wegs

Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
If I were you I'd move to the Berkshires

Old 12-17-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
read this ...it hits the nail on the head imo. It won't be as cheap to live in Bflo as you think....this post is from another thread.

Originally Posted by Vex
The long term economic forecast is bleak. Businesses in Buffalo are being suffocated by the high taxes and high costs of doing business.

WNY's utilities are well above the national average. Something like 33% more for gas and 66% more for electricity.

NY has some of the most expensive health care costs. Health insurance costs 40% less in Tennessee. The inflated costs are cutting into business' margins, and get passed along to their employees in the form of lower wages.

NY is a state run by the unions, for the unions. We all pay egregious taxes to support their inefficiencies and bloated pensions and benefits. With a 25% unionization rate, (the highest in the country) this is an additional deterrent for any business to come to the area.

Political corruption is rampant in city hall. It has been widely acknowledged by businessmen involved in the matter that there is a "pay to play" system in place. Again, why deal with that?

An anti-business attitude also permeates through much of WNY's social fabric. The overtaxed populace wants to alleviate their own misery by having businesses "pay their share." Of course, "their share" is much less in other states.

Conclusion: Buffalo and NY as a whole will continue to stagnate economically. The region is simply uncompetitive. It is being held hostage by government employees and unions who will perpetuate the status quo to the detriment of all others. Many of the Business leaders in Buffalo operate here out of their own affinity for the region, not because it makes financial sense. However, this loyalty is becoming increasingly harder to justify, e.g. see New Era.

WNY's population will continue to decline as those fed up with the current system seek greener pastures and the old kick the bucket. Even if the population stabilizes, the region will continue to decline (those moving to NY have on average, 13% lower incomes than those moving away) The incompetent state legislature faced with ballooning costs and declining revenues will respond the only way it knows how, by raising taxes...

Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 PM

744 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
didn't EA also vote out a wegmans? yikes..I'd do anything for a wegs
No it was a Wal-Mart they kept out of town. With 8,000 people the village and town are probably too small for a Wegmans despite the wealthy demo's

Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,413 times
If I was single or married with no children I would live in Elmwood (or somewhere in the city) in a heartbeat ....... with children I would choose EA. I love living in the heart of a city & all that comes with it but once I had children I decided their education was more important than living in the city. Too many Buffalo schools are poor & acceptance in the better schools is just too hit & miss, in the better burbs you know your children will have the opportunity to get a quality education.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
If I were you I'd move to the Berkshires
And what would the OP do in the Berkshires? It sounds to me that she is a city person or at least more comfortable in suburbs of a major city than rural areas.

You should not get hung up over the cost of living in Buffalo either, while it is true that the Niagara Region has high taxes but guess what, metro Boston is still way more expensive than metro Buffalo. Even if we earn higher wages over here than in Buffalo, those wages still can't cover the cost of living, especially for those raising young families. Berkshire County by the way is also in serious economic decline because the politicians in Boston don't really care about the western part of our state.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:12 PM

Like Erie county isn't in serious decline? I loved the Berkshires - visited often from CT...Tanglewood cultcha, canyon ranch, close to Boston - wonderful people..it's just great...and gorgeous - the housing is far more interesting than buffalo unless you snag an old historic bflo house which are now very expensive. house in a good school district plan on paying thru the nose for in the metro area - clarence amherst wmsvl otherwise good luck with the crime.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Like Erie county isn't in serious decline? I loved the Berkshires - visited often from CT...Tanglewood cultcha, canyon ranch, close to Boston - wonderful people..it's just great...and gorgeous - the housing is far more interesting than buffalo unless you snag an old historic bflo house which are now very expensive. house in a good school district plan on paying thru the nose for in the metro area - clarence amherst wmsvl otherwise good luck with the crime.
You mean to tell people that those are the only areas with good schools and low crime in Erie County? That is hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area