Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
If you have kids and choose to live within the City, you will need to factor in the cost of private schooling. The Buffalo Public Schools are not fit for man nor beast let alone children. They have far fewer than half of their students receiving even a non regents High School diploma. If you want your child to grow up to be more than a welfare recipient or burger flipper the City schools are not the place to put them.

The City School District is in utter chaos: Board launches process to fire Williams - Schools - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/schools/article517168.ece - broken link)
Thats not entirely true as last I saw City Honors was ranked #2 in the whole state, Davinci & Hutch Tech are also rated very high ....... the rest of the system is another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Thats not entirely true as last I saw City Honors was ranked #2 in the whole state, Davinci & Hutch Tech are also rated very high ....... the rest of the system is another matter.
Yeah, after those 3, Arts High, McKinley and Emerson are respectable/average due to grad. rates in the 70's. Then, it drops off in a hurry from what I see.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-10-2011 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 01:52 PM

744 posts, read 1,768,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Out of 38,000 students only 2 out of every 100 students (total grade 5-12 enrollment 800) get to go to City Honors - not a realistic expectation.

The City Schools are a major factor in the City's continued population decline - they are in total disarray and only getting worse - see the attached article on how they just failed in getting $18 million that was available to them.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/schools/article516972.ece (broken link)

The following links to an article that shows City students with a 23% proficiency rating on State testing compared to ratings of 74% to 92% for most suburban school districts. Even NYC at 47% did twice as well as Buffalo. The proof is in the pudding - look out for your children's future.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/schools/article515888.ece (broken link)

Old 08-12-2011, 03:45 PM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Here's an interesting thread that gets into how tests are graded: //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...st-scores.html

Old 08-14-2011, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 12,447 times
Thanks all for your advice. The apt complexes that we are currently looking at are:

1) Delta Garden apartments -- 406 Delta Rd, Amherst, NY 14226
2) Boulevard Tower apartments -- 120 Meyer Rd, NY 14226
3) Chestnut ridge apartments -- Amherst, NY 14228

How are these apartment complexes? Any issues with them? how would be the commute to Roswell Park Cancer Institute area? If you guys know of any other good apartment complexes not advertised on the websites please let me know. Our budget is <$900 with utilities included.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM

379 posts, read 749,395 times
Pretty much anywhere in Amherst is very safe and a great choice. There are a few rougher areas, but you haven't picked any of those. PM me if you need more details about where to avoid.

All 3 of those apartment complexes you mentioned are nice. Chestnut Ridge is the newest area and nicest hands down. It's more suburban than the others. If I needed an apartment in Amherst, I'd probably start there first. They have recently built a lot of UB student housing over there, so there will be college students around. The others apartment areas are fine choices too - Meyer is very close to just about every thing you'd need shopping-wise. Delta is decent I think -- I don't know much about there. It's the older part of town.

Your commute to RPCI depends on when you drive. You can do it in 15 minutes if you leave at 6:45am. If you leave at 8, you'll get stuck at the dreaded "blue water tower" (horrible traffic bottleneck where I-290 merges to I-90 west) and it could take you 30 minutes or more to get in.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 AM

Update: It looks like that the property managers of these three complexes are too arrogant or have don't care attitude. really disappointed. We'd now have to look at other options. How is Hamburg? It seems little far from RPCI to commute daily, especially in winter. How is Orchard Park commuting/safety/shopping wise? any recommendations on good apt complexes? having fitness center in the complex is impt.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:58 PM

I personally would stay to the north of Buffalo because it snows a lot more in the southtowns, and that can mess with your commute more. You also have to deal with the Rt 5 skyway, which is sometimes closed in bad weather.

Amherst, Tonawanda, Kenmore, (all north) and Hamburg, Orchard Park (south) are all fine choices.

Generally, Amherst, Tonawanda, and Kenmore are shorter commutes to downtown. Kenmore is probably the shortest, and it's a great area.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Can you recommend any safe apt complexes in Kenmore?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 PM

I don't know of any. Generally the closer you get to Sheridan, the nicer Kenmore is. In your budget, you could easily afford to rent an entire small house or the entire upper or lower of a double. That area has a lot of double family homes. I'd personally prefer a house over a complex. It would also be easier dealing with the landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area