Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:48 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,629 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find a more proper thread to post this in, and I didn't want to create a new one for it, so forgive me if I'm a bit off topic here.

I was recently in Buffalo for the annual World's Largest Disco Event at the Convention Center with friends.

What a blast! All I can say is you good folks who live there made us feel so welcome, your shops, restaurants, bars, loved them....and yes, I heard your "accents", lol..I have dear friends that are orignally from Buffalo (here in Vegas 26 years now) and they STILL have it

All enjoyable and thank you, we'll see you next year too!

Weather was great by the way!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,346,000 times
After living near Buffalo in the burbs most of my life...minus the last 12 years I had been gone...........I will say Buffalo is one of the most friendly cities..........I have lived outside of Boston Ma and people are way more aloof...then NJ where many are very LOUD when they talk! lol.....I never in a million years thought I had an accent............... BUT being away for 12 years coming back and hearing people talk....it's definitely distinct, may not be a full blown accent lol but it's definitely something I hear different in the dialect than when I was living here all those years.......

I say pop too but not too often anymore.Pop is definitely a Buffaloism! I say Coke or Pepsi!!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 AM

13 posts, read 42,896 times
I lived in rural Eastern N.C. for almost 2 years (nearly 20 years ago). I recall having to listen in earnest to decipher what was being said to me by the "native folk" in and around town. In fairness, they kept asking me to repeat myself as well! To me, it sounded as though they spoke with a mouthful of marbles or cotton. I know my nasal accent annoyed them as well (lol) as I'd get some funny looks when I spoke! I began to acquire their drawl before I moved back. But soon after transplanting back to the Buff, that faded quickly away

Old 12-22-2011, 06:29 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,533 times
Grew up in Buffalo, lived in Rochester for 30 years, now live in Boston. Many people have told me that I sound like I'm from the midwest - interesting! I think that there are some similarities in the way people sound who are from Buffalo/Rochester, Cleveland, Pittsburgh - although each is a bit unique - but there's that overall similarity.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1 View Post
Grew up in Buffalo, lived in Rochester for 30 years, now live in Boston. Many people have told me that I sound like I'm from the midwest - interesting! I think that there are some similarities in the way people sound who are from Buffalo/Rochester, Cleveland, Pittsburgh - although each is a bit unique - but there's that overall similarity.
Over the past couple years I've worked with people from both Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I was told there was a similar accent but after spending time in both cities and being around the people, I just don't see it. Cleveland to a small extent but nothing similar about Pittsburgh. I even noticed a southern drawl in some of the words of the persons I was dealing with from Pittsburgh. I also notice a significant different in the way people from Buffalo and people from Rochester talk.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,798 times
People from Buffalo say dis and dat instead of this and that.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
I can definitely see a difference in the accent between Rochester/Buffalo and Pittsburgh; but I think we still sound almost identical to those in Cleveland. I also see absolutely no difference between the way that people in Buffalo and Rochester sound. If anything, the eastern suburbs of Rochester have a less-pronounced accent and speak more with "general american" because it is a very highly educated area and also has many transplants from outside the region. But someone in Greece, Gates, or Irondequoit still sounds the same as someone in Cheektowaga, Tonowanda, or Hamburg to me.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM

146 posts, read 238,217 times
Yeah I really wish we Buffalonians could be as bright and enlightened as those who live in Rochester.
As a member of the stupid crowd from Buffalo area I guess I'm stuck because even getting my masters and MD didn't get rid of the accent.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:02 AM

146 posts, read 238,217 times
Wow I wish I could delete that last comment I made... I don't remember writing that and I guess I was in a heck of a rude and snarky mindset!! I apologize to Just sayin.

Just happened to notice this old thread and wanted to show you all this quiz about accents... tell me what your results are. They pegged me as most similar to wny... right on.. or most similar to seattle. Not sure why seattle bec I know very little about it and have only been there once.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-quiz-map.html

Old 01-08-2014, 06:33 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
I got most similar to Rochester, Buffalo, and Cleveland, which is not surprising since I was born and raised in WNY and lived in Buffalo for 20 years. I also lived in Albany for a dozen years and in southeastern Nebraska (Lincoln) for two. Albany is bright red and Lincoln is pretty red as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area