Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 19,652 times

Advertisements

Now I know this is a hot;y debabted topic in our area from time to time. But yesterday I think I had a pretty good idea about it and I think it solves multiple problems.

The Ralph is an ok stadium, but there will come a point and time (probably within the next 10 years) where it will be replaced. What if we put the new stadium (let's call it GM Stadium) down on the Buffalo River in the Old First Ward. There is plenty of space down there (more after the abadoned grain elevators would be torn down; the rest eould either remain open as working elevators and the rest could be turned into something or other) to use for both parking/tailgating and GM Stadium. Because the river winds, foot bridges would have to be built in order to connect the parking lots. A new four lane parkway would be built from the base of the skyway to the smith st exit on the 190. This would be paid for in 1/3's: 1/3 from the Bills, 1/3 from the NFL and 1/3 from goverment (state, local, county and possibly federal). The goverment and Bills costs may exceed their 1/3 mark due to the destruction of the grain elevators and the building of a parkway.

Now I believe this solves many local problems. First, the Old First Ward and the area around it has become trashy in much part due to the grain elevators. By spending money in that area, you both beautify the neighborhood and finally ditch the grain elevators. Also, a new stadium will solidfy the Bills place in Western New York and bring restaurants to that neighborhood.

What does everybody think? Questions or comments? I'm sure someday will say something about not wanting the grain elevators to go down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 01:02 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,798 times
I think the Bills will get a new stadium when they move to a new city. The taxpayers should not shoulder the burden for a football team to have a new stadium. Last I heard they were renovating the old one more. I think that Buffalo should have been a dome team since day one anyways.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
. I think that Buffalo should have been a dome team since day one anyways.
Looks like somebody cant stand a little cold

Old 10-23-2011, 01:35 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,226 times
Don't think are thinking about a move yet..

AP NewsBreak: Bills hire firm for stadium facelift - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/AP70cef3c9c9be415688c932ea2ee6ec67.html - broken link)

Old 10-23-2011, 01:48 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
I don't know that part of the city, but it sounds like a potentially good idea. The best feature of the current stadium is the large open parking area surrounding the stadium which allows massive tailgating, and obviously tailgating is very popular in Buffalo and is right up there with the game itself as far as enjoyment of the whole experience. If you could continue to have tailgating at a downtown stadium, that would be ideal.

No reason to spend more for a dome when tickets already sell so well now for consistently poor teams. And a dome severely takes away from the experience. Heck, only about half of the home games are truly cold anyway.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:42 PM

185 posts, read 418,291 times
The Bills aren't going anywhere, so all you Sabres loving Bills haters can relax

Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Bills aren't getting a new stadium or moving anytime soon. The state is going to pay for The Ralph to get a $100m facelift & they will sign a new 10 year lease (which will likely last the rest of RWjrs' life).

Old 10-23-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Bills aren't getting a new stadium or moving anytime soon. The state is going to pay for The Ralph to get a $100m facelift & they will sign a new 10 year lease (which will likely last the rest of RWjrs' life).
Ok, well think about just past that. In a vacuum w/o old Ralph, its likely the Bills would need a new stadium to anchor them to the area. I think my idea was real good, but it seems like everyone either doesn't want a new, stadium, doesn't want the Bills, or doesnt care

Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo-mitch View Post
Ok, well think about just past that. In a vacuum w/o old Ralph, its likely the Bills would need a new stadium to anchor them to the area. I think my idea was real good, but it seems like everyone either doesn't want a new, stadium, doesn't want the Bills, or doesnt care
When Ralph dies the team will be auctioned to the highest bidder. Chances are very slim that the highest bidder will be someone willing to keep the team in Buffalo.

Think about it, the team will make more money in a more glamorous city as they will be able to charge higher ticket prices & have a much larger corporate base to sell luxury boxes to than they can in Buffalo. Due to his someone who plans to move the team can afford to bid higher than those wanting to keep it in WNY.

The only hope to keep the team in Buffalo beyond Ralph Wilson Jr's life is that Ralph reconsiders his stance on selling & eventually sells the team a someone that plans to keep it in WNY.

In any event there isn't going to be a new stadium.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo-mitch View Post
Looks like somebody cant stand a little cold
If a new stadium is ever built, a dome would allow for more non-Bills events to be held that is limited by our weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area