Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times

Advertisements

As in drag strip. Just got back. What a waste of time. Waht was I thinking? It's a touristy mess of a place with way too many overpriced hair salons and designer food. And they drive like bats outta hell.What an imposition I was! - so I'd like to now apologize to all the drivers that I FORCED to SLOW DOWN. Maybe they should call it the Autobahn of the East.
I was looking for a place to park thinking I wanted to go to Lexington Market.
I stupidly remember them when they were an honest to God food co-op instead of a now overpriced upscale version of Whole Foods wannabe. After my "fun" trip to the famous Elmwood Strip, I hightailed it over to Premier and bought a big bottle of Merlot. I needed it. Next Saturday I will stick to the more civilized parts of our wonderful town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 PM

62 posts, read 127,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
As in drag strip. Just got back. What a waste of time. Waht was I thinking? It's a touristy mess of a place with way too many overpriced hair salons and designer food. And they drive like bats outta hell.What an imposition I was! - so I'd like to now apologize to all the drivers that I FORCED to SLOW DOWN. Maybe they should call it the Autobahn of the East.
I was looking for a place to park thinking I wanted to go to Lexington Market.
I stupidly remember them when they were an honest to God food co-op instead of a now overpriced upscale version of Whole Foods wannabe. After my "fun" trip to the famous Elmwood Strip, I hightailed it over to Premier and bought a big bottle of Merlot. I needed it. Next Saturday I will stick to the more civilized parts of our wonderful town.
Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea. Since moving here, I've always found Elmwood to be a great place, full of independent locally owned shops, Art galleries, some of the cities best restaurants, and awesome bars with some of Buffalo's best taps. Definitely not a tourist trap, a great place for tourists to visit, but not tailored to tourists.

Take Blue Monk, in many people's opinion - best taps in the city, plus the food is top notch

Coles, Toro, Nektar, Cecelias - all great places to eat, all on Elmwood

Pano's - good food, great prices, excellent variety

Buffalo Gay Bingo happens on Elmwood, the absolute best time at Bingo you will ever have.

The only Penzey's Spices in Buffalo is on Elmwood...if you haven't been in there, you are missing out.

There is alot goin down there, and yeah they will drive around you and ride your butt if you are goin too slow. Mainly because it is 1 lane, and people that live down there can't stand all the people that drive 20 miles an hour down the street.

Try goin down there next spring, parking the car and walking the strip. You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:40 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
I'd have to agree, walking is definitely a better way to enjoy the area. Park on Lexington, or any one of those streets that run b/w Del & Elm if you really want to enjoy shopping there. The 20 runs very frequently during the day and it will take you right to the doorstep of where you might want to go if you don't like walking.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Drag Strip on Elmwood? LOL. I don't think anyone gets above 15-20 mph from the AKAG to downtown.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 AM

33 posts, read 143,795 times
Sorry about your experience on Elmwood. I personally like Elmwood. I lived in Allentown for 5 years and I loved it there. Walking is probably the best way to explore the area, but when I lived near the area, I used to just drive along the strip, even on Friday and Saturday nights when it's very busy. I just like to see the crowd and the busy area.

I'm curious, where are the more civilized parts of the town?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 AM

where are the more civilized parts of the town?

as you head further west of Elmwood toward the park and Delaware Avenue it gets less congested walking around...of course there's no shopping either...great for house gawking if you go in for that sort of thing...I do...

Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Drag Strip on Elmwood? LOL. I don't think anyone gets above 15-20 mph from the AKAG to downtown.
I am telling ya this chick was texting with her right hand and doing the Indy 500 with her left.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea. Since moving here, I've always found Elmwood to be a great place, full of independent locally owned shops, Art galleries, some of the cities best restaurants, and awesome bars with some of Buffalo's best taps. Definitely not a tourist trap, a great place for tourists to visit, but not tailored to tourists.

Take Blue Monk, in many people's opinion - best taps in the city, plus the food is top notch

Coles, Toro, Nektar, Cecelias - all great places to eat, all on Elmwood

Pano's - good food, great prices, excellent variety

Buffalo Gay Bingo happens on Elmwood, the absolute best time at Bingo you will ever have.

The only Penzey's Spices in Buffalo is on Elmwood...if you haven't been in there, you are missing out.

There is alot goin down there, and yeah they will drive around you and ride your butt if you are goin too slow. Mainly because it is 1 lane, and people that live down there can't stand all the people that drive 20 miles an hour down the street.

Try goin down there next spring, parking the car and walking the strip. You'll be glad you did.
thanks for the tips...look forward to it~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area