Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:50 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times

Advertisements

I live in Eastern NY were we have no Wegmans so help me out here, what is it ya all love so much?? Syracuse does have Wegmans and I have been. Just this Wednesday in fact, happened to be driving by and remembered something. I was in the Dewitt flagship store.

I didn't notice anything special, good or bad, about it. This isn't my first time. Prices are very high but not really any higher then other high dollar stores.

They are a very tiny chain, almost all stores are in 3 small cities in Western NY. Wegmans fans are very vocal so they have large name recognition for being so small. They also have huge profits for so few stores. Wegmans has 75 stores with sales of 15 billion while Publix has only 25 billion in sales with almost 11 hundred stores.

Thats some mighty profit. Factor in 2/3ths of the stores being in not so rich areas and you got some loyal shopers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadetoBlack View Post
Another chain store didn't come to our area? Oh heavens what are we going to do!? (sarcasm)

Rochester can keep it.
No -- you really do need a Trader Joe's-TJs there in the Big-B -- lots of poor hunger people desperate for affordable real food ... no middleman, no frills ... decent and quixotic variety; focus is on quality ... when TJ's management is not made to add poisonous "Canola" (really a "re-branded", and patented Rapeseed oil redux: not fit for human consumption ... clogs many metabolic pathways .... and is much documented for that ... and as a tool for population reduction) oil ... insidiously that ingredient or its counterpart "soybean oil" creeps into many of TJs formerly pure Non-GMF stuffs!: COMPLAIN TO TJ'S MANAGEMENT ... AND BEG THEM TO INVADE THE BIG-B!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 PM

55 posts, read 157,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I live in Eastern NY were we have no Wegmans so help me out here, what is it ya all love so much?? Syracuse does have Wegmans and I have been. Just this Wednesday in fact, happened to be driving by and remembered something. I was in the Dewitt flagship store.

I didn't notice anything special, good or bad, about it. This isn't my first time. Prices are very high but not really any higher then other high dollar stores.
Having just moved to WNY from Texas, I don't see what the big deal is either. Personally, I like to have options which was plentiful in Dallas with stores like Kroger, Tom Thumb, Albertsons, Whole Foods and so on.

I've been shopping primarily at Tops but I've made a few trips to Wegmans. Their bread selection was tiny- I couldn't even find my bagel thins. Most everything is overpriced (way overpriced if you consider the cost of groceries in Dallas) and the layout is horrible- some isles are extra wide, others cannot fit two carts through without colliding. And you've heard that it's the small things that make a huge difference- Tops has cup holders on some of their buggies (for Tim Horton's Coffee, of course) which helps . I've heard wonderful reviews from friends who shop at Trader Joe's and I happily welcome them here.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:06 PM

102 posts, read 232,439 times
In NYC Trader Joe's gets around the wine in grocery stores issue by having a store just for wine right next to the normal grocery store. Pretty classy.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:23 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
According to many of my friends who live near them in other parts of the country, the biggest draw is "2Buck Chuck".

Doesn't bother me.
Here in Michigan, the 2 buck chuck sells for $3.00. It's been at that price for 7 years here.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Yankee View Post
Having just moved to WNY from Texas, I don't see what the big deal is either. Personally, I like to have options which was plentiful in Dallas with stores like Kroger, Tom Thumb, Albertsons, Whole Foods and so on.

I've been shopping primarily at Tops but I've made a few trips to Wegmans. Their bread selection was tiny- I couldn't even find my bagel thins. Most everything is overpriced (way overpriced if you consider the cost of groceries in Dallas) and the layout is horrible- some isles are extra wide, others cannot fit two carts through without colliding. And you've heard that it's the small things that make a huge difference- Tops has cup holders on some of their buggies (for Tim Horton's Coffee, of course) which helps . I've heard wonderful reviews from friends who shop at Trader Joe's and I happily welcome them here.
I like Trader Joe's and shop there often for certain items, but I can tell you their prices are increasing dramatically. They have a great cheese selection, but none are less than $4.99/lb, and most are much higher, for example. The least expensive Brie is now $7.99 and a year ago, it was $5.99 for the same item.

I have shopped there for 7 years, ever since the store opened in SE Michigan, but the prices are increasing to the point where I'll be looking at some items elsewhere. Also, they discontinue items randomly, but the pattern I've noticed is that the discontinued items are the "lower profit" items, such as basics, and are replaced with high profit items (snack foods, prepared foods, etc). They are increasing their prepared foods dramatically (to increase profits), which isn't for me, as I cook from scratch and don't care for all the calories and sodium in prepared foods, even those made with "good" ingredients. Anyway, Trader Joe's is changing, though I still like shopping there. I just buy fewer items than in the past.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Yankee View Post

I don't find Wegmans to be any more expensive than Tops when it comes to the regular products. I've noticed that Tops has gotten rather expensive in recent years.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:01 PM

102 posts, read 234,978 times
And now, Albany.

Trader Joe's confirms Wolf Road location | All Over Albany

Seems like the usual pattern. A chain will finally enter upstate New York, the last part of the country where they don't have locations, opening in Rochester, Syracuse and Albany. Several years later, the Buffalo area will finally see a location, in the usual Northtown/Boulevard or Transit Road location.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
And now, Albany.

Trader Joe's confirms Wolf Road location | All Over Albany

Seems like the usual pattern. A chain will finally enter upstate New York, the last part of the country where they don't have locations, opening in Rochester, Syracuse and Albany. Several years later, the Buffalo area will finally see a location, in the usual Northtown/Boulevard or Transit Road location.
I started this thread..and just wanna say, wegmans is LIGHT years better than TJ's...there is NO comparison...from quality control issues to store brands..

TJ is a boutique compared to food court friendly full service wegmans...ra!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Wegmans store brand products are a crapshoot. Many of them are awful. Aldi is far superior.

And TJ's has better prices than Wegmans on nearly every item that can be found at both stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area