Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:39 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times

Advertisements

settle this once and for all....southern Erie aurora, eden, worse than Amherst clarence? the city itself? Chatauqua is the worst? northern Erie? Then Orleans, Niagara, etc...if you had to rank them?..3400 without power today in the southtowns versus northern Erie..typical or luck of the draw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
I'd say its luck of the draw.

We've been lucky enough to never lose power since we've lived in Hamburg (4 winters).

BTW, last nights power outage had nothing to do with lake effect snow (as we didn't get). I guess the wind blew down some trees & according to Ch 4 only about 300 people in the Southtowns lost power not sure where you heard 3400? I guess something like 2000 lost it in Chautauqua County but thats not the Southtowns.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
It is called wind and ice. One blows down lines above ground, the other weighs it down to snap. In areas where the water table is high or it is older, you have aerial lines. I would much rather have that (I do have them - older area) than see a new subdivision with underground lines in a break. Why? I know NYSEG can find the break if they can see it... it it is underground for "beautification", they can locate it but have to dig it all up.

So, it is the luck of the draw: everywhere gets wind, everywhere gets ice. Everywhere also has people who hit poles and tear off wires.... chances are your outage will be by wind, ice or pole down other than snow. In the Blizzard of 77 (snow), we never lost power, but the snow drift was at the roof of the house.... but the October Surprise (wet snow on branches to snap and ice) had branches full of ice fall and snap our lines.

Luck of the draw and Nature calls it. Get a generator and learn how to safely use it and you have no problems.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
It is called wind and ice. One blows down lines above ground, the other weighs it down to snap. In areas where the water table is high or it is older, you have aerial lines. I would much rather have that (I do have them - older area) than see a new subdivision with underground lines in a break. Why? I know NYSEG can find the break if they can see it... it it is underground for "beautification", they can locate it but have to dig it all up.

So, it is the luck of the draw: everywhere gets wind, everywhere gets ice. Everywhere also has people who hit poles and tear off wires.... chances are your outage will be by wind, ice or pole down other than snow. In the Blizzard of 77 (snow), we never lost power, but the snow drift was at the roof of the house.... but the October Surprise (wet snow on branches to snap and ice) had branches full of ice fall and snap our lines.

Luck of the draw and Nature calls it. Get a generator and learn how to safely use it and you have no problems.
Can you recommend a good generator? Is it safe to buy one used?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Can you recommend a good generator? Is it safe to buy one used?
Ours has a Tecumseh motor I think; my daughter's is a different brand. I would go to a place like Tractor Supply and tell them what you want and they are very honest. The motor is not necessarily the brand of the generator; they can tell you how the motor runs - that is important. . We paid $400 for ours and got the daughter one for $320 -- we don't run lots on it for a long time, just enough to get by. some people run them 100% of the time and you really use lots of gas.

Lots of people bought them in the October Surprise ; some put them indie and killed themselves with carbon monoxide. They need to be outside, away from the house and venting so the wind blows exhaust away. You need to learn how to be safe. People who found they were not as easy as they thought to use are always selling them. Plus,you aren't going to get a warranty and you don't know how it was used. I'd get a new one.

FWIW, we don't even think about taking it out unless it looks like it will be a long loss of power. In the Oct. Surprise, we got the Surprise at night and got it out at 5am when the branches stopped falling down and the house was really cold and the sump was totally full and running on the backup full blast...and NYSEG said no power for at least 2 days.... we lost it for more than 7, I think

Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
I've been in Buffalo 20 yrs. Even in the Oct storm I still had power.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
I've been in Buffalo 20 yrs. Even in the Oct storm I still had power.
I bet you aren't on the edge of rural.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
Not even close.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
i'd imagine it's really a crap shoot, in my entire life there, it's never been a case of people straight up losing power during a storm unless a transformer got knocked out somewhere, or blew up or something.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:58 AM

thanks for the generator info...as an aside..it was'nt the wind that caused the power loss last week ..alas, it was a case of mental illness..

Chain-saw attack on power poles raises query - Orchard Park - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/orchard-park/article715522.ece - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area