Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM

744 posts, read 1,767,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
If you live close to the border crossing you can hit the east end of hamilton in a half hour. It's 37 miles.. All depends where exactly you are going. If you assume Ivor Wynne stadium for CFL it still only 42 miles. I do the stretch from the 405 to Red Hill pkwy in about 20 minutes every trip.
Since the regular driving is to Hamilton and the drive to US is less frequent then I would consider livinbg in NF Ontario, St Catherines or Niagara On The Lake. 30-40 minutes from work with no border worries, but still very convenient to US of A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
You can get a U.S. cell phone plan from AT&T or Verizon that works in Canada. It comes out cheaper than Canadian plans, especially if you call people in the U.S. a lot.

Your best bet might be to just live in St. Catharines. Rents are a bit cheaper than Hamilton and the commute to Hamilton isn't so bad. It's a smaller city but it has lots of amenities. Also very close to the U.S. Hamilton itself also has many great areas. Suburban communities are up on the Mountain. The village of Dundas is absolutely gorgeous. Stoney Creek is typical suburbia but it has great lake access and sits just below the escarpment (a 1500 ft. high mountain that runs throughout the region).

There shouldn't be any problem adjusting. If you have kids, schools are excellent and you can live anywhere without worrying about school quality unlike the U.S. where school boards cover a smaller area and vary greatly. Consider yourself lucky to have the opportunity to live in Canada. It's a beautiful, safe, and clean country.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
The village of Dundas is absolutely gorgeous.
Where ever you chose to live you should visit the Spencer gorge parks dotted along the escarpment around Dundas. There are amazing views. Webster Falls is the most popular one but if you explore you can find some out of the way spots that are impressive.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Since the regular driving is to Hamilton and the drive to US is less frequent then I would consider livinbg in NF Ontario, St Catherines or Niagara On The Lake. 30-40 minutes from work with no border worries, but still very convenient to US of A
Queenston may work as well.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Not much housing available in Queenston.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
I'd go with Niagara on the Lake, the town is absolutely gorgeous.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,911 times
Thank you everyone who has posted. You are making me less nervous if we decide to live in Canada, which is probably what will be best for my husband. I am really nervous, but excited for the move too!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 AM
ETF

13 posts, read 28,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
If you live close to the border crossing you can hit the east end of hamilton in a half hour. It's 37 miles.. All depends where exactly you are going. If you assume Ivor Wynne stadium for CFL it still only 42 miles. I do the stretch from the 405 to Red Hill pkwy in about 20 minutes every trip.
True but when you get off the Kings hwy's you will find the Hamlton city very slow to traverse.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETF View Post
True but when you get off the Kings hwy's you will find the Hamlton city very slow to traverse.
On Friday nights at rush hour if the Red Hill looks backed up I cross using Barton Ave driving very close to the stadium. I can cross all of Hamilton in about 20 minutes even with all the traffic lights. Traffic on Barton is usually light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area