Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times

Advertisements

anytime somebody makes sweeping generalizations about people of a city or the drivers, I know not to take that person seriously since they have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM

56 posts, read 163,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not buying that the homes much cheaper and what suburbs are you comparing anyway? Meaning, is Medina more like Cheektowaga or is it more like Orchard Park or Williamsville?

I do find it ironic that Cleveland, while improving it that much better than Buffalo. Weather probably not too much better either. So, maybe some perspective is in order.
Closer to Orchard Park. I'm moving to Medina COUNTY not the city of the same name. I'm moving to Brunswick which is very similar to Orchard Park or Hamburg in terms of feel.

The weather is better. Medina averages 40 inches of snow per year, and the average high is about 5 degrees warmer.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Medina is more like Jamestown only with a higher cost of living. A little out of the way, about 35 miles from Cleveland in a different county, stuck in the early 60's

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Stuck in the early 60s?!? Have you ever been there? It a town that grew alot in the late 80s and 90s. Medina county isn't out of the way at all. I can get to downtown Cleveland in less than 20 minutes in traffic. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 04:48 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post

Medina, OH averages around 40 inches of snow & 40 inches of rain per year ......... good luck escaping the weather.
Uh, Buffalo averages about 100 inches per year.

Quote:
While sales tax is a little higher in WNY Median, Ohio's income tax rate is 8.12% (Erie County NY is 6.85%).
This is inaccurate.

Quote:
BTW, if your original posts weren't so over the top & full of bulls*&t & contradictions we'd all simply wish you good luck but in this world you get what you give & for you to complain about the things you did & expect moving to NE Ohio is going to fix the things you hate about WNY is absolutely hilarious.
I've lived in enough cities to know what I like and don't. This time I'm going with my best judgment, and this is a good move for me. Unlike WNY things get done in Cleveland. I realize that it isn't perfect, but I'm going from the laughing stock of the country to a city that is really on the rebound.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM

719 posts, read 1,552,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_Finally View Post
No clue what this means. I've never registered on this site before. I won't give my real name, but if a moderator wants I can give him my real identity. I saw this site on another post about Buffalo and though people might want to read this. That's all. I couldn't care less. I'll stop posting after this if it upsets people so much that I am criticizing Buffalo.

You all are a little over sensitive about people telling the truth about this city.
OH Finally,
The people that post on this board can handle critical posts about the problems of Buffalo. But that isn't what you're doing. You said things like "The entire city of Buffalo is not safe" - and that is what this site calls a "flame post" - Someone with little user history writes something that isn't based in fact and paints an entire city/area/region negatively to get a reaction.
If you didn't like Buffalo, thats fine and you're entitled to your opinion. But what do you hope to gain by just flaming this board?
By the way, I hope you realize your cost of living in your new town will be virtually identical to what you had in WNY. The weather there will also be similar, though not as much snow. If you hated everything about Buffalo, chances are you wont be enamored for long with the suburbs of Cleveland. But best of luck to you in your search for the ideal place that will make you happy.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:06 PM

I've actually spent about 1/4 of my time in the last 2 years working in Cleveland. I know the area well, and am very happy to be going there.

I do think that my initial post was based in fact. What did I say that wasn't true?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 PM

719 posts, read 1,552,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_Finally View Post
I've actually spent about 1/4 of my time in the last 2 years working in Cleveland. I know the area well, and am very happy to be going there.

I do think that my initial post was based in fact. What did I say that wasn't true?
See jblakes post #9 in this thread for corrections of your untrue statements.
Also, there are plenty of good IT jobs in WNY. If you aren't finding them, you aren't looking. Heck, my old company has many good positions located in Williamsville. As for call centers, yeah those entry-level jobs can suck but I'd hardly say places like Geico are a "fly by night" operation.

And I'll also add that the driving and traffic in WNY is fantastic compared to so many other places. You may have had some bad luck, but that is not at all representative. People wave you ahead in WNY. They drive the speed limit
And the PEOPLE of WNY are WNY's greatest asset . Time and time again you hear people say they are amazed at the friendliness of WNY'ers.
I think you're way off the mark on WNY and it's likely you will be bashing Ohio a few yrs from now too.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Also, there are plenty of good IT jobs in WNY. If you aren't finding them, you aren't looking.
That's just not true. I know the industry very well.

Quote:
Time and time again you hear people say they are amazed at the friendliness of WNY'ers.
Maybe they are from NYC or somewhere else up north where the people are even more uptight. I tend to stick with Southerners and midwesterners who know what hospitality is.

Quote:
I think you're way off the mark on WNY and it's likely you will be bashing Ohio a few yrs from now too.
Unlikely. I hated Buffalo from day 1, and I've spent 1/4 of my time in NE Ohio over the past 2 years. I truly love it there. And I realize that much is subjective, but this much is undoubtedly true.

1) Taxes are FAR FAR FAAAAAAR higher here. I'd say at least 25% higher (I think in Ohio about about 15% of my money will go to state taxes all in all, compared to about 20% here)

2) The cost of housing is far lower. Look at Howard Hanna listings in the nicer Cleveland suburbs and compare them to what you'd get here.

3) There are good jobs in Cleveland, and more coming. I am being moved to Cleveland because Ohio and Cuyahoga county are give my company large tax breaks to move over 1000 employees there.

4) The suburbs aren't dying. Unlike Buffalo, the suburbs are growing very well.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:40 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
You still haven't presented any evidence of any big difference. It is funny how it went from Medina to Medina County. Cost of living is pretty much a wash between Brunswick OH and the village of Orchard Park, which has higher taxes than the town. So, Orchard Park may actually be slightly lower given that fact: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedKeep in mind that this is for overall COL.

As for IT jobs, here are some that I could find: Buffalo/Niagara Jobs in Information Technology

information technology jobs in buffalo, ny - Indeed Mobile

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 04:48 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM

Healthcare is NOT more expensive in Ohio. That's not true, even though that site says that it is, gyms are though (I would say about 50% more, that doesn't apply to me though, I have a home gym and bike and run for fitness). And my auto insurance is going down by about 1/2 in Ohio for the exact same coverage.

And lets see, Dice is the best IT job search site (only IT jobs posted there). Without searching my exact field, there are 93 total in Buffalo, and 665 in Cleveland. I'm an analyst in IT, but don't want to give my exact field away because I get the feeling that some people here are malicious.

Jobs at Dice.com

Jobs at Dice.com

For real estate, this is what I can find in the price range I'm spending. I know it's not scientific, but I'll make it easier to make a subjective comparison.

RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Howard Hanna Real Estate Services - Property - Proplist

Also, I always said Medina county. Reread my secodnd post, I was always planning on moving to Brunswick. Medina is a nice city anyway, and wouldn't mind living there, but it's too far from work.

Quote:
If you're curious I am moving to Medina county Ohio, which is just outside of Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area