Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 PM

196 posts, read 442,976 times

Advertisements

I am in the same boat, but found a decent 2bd off main and union in williamsville. I am gonna rent for awhile. Maybe jump back into the house market next year.

Close to expressways, lots of options. Its gonna be tough finding the $2 pint in williamsville. Looks like the abbey square is gonna get a bit more of my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 PM

83 posts, read 171,126 times
Williamsville/Amherst isn't Buffalo, and it's definitely not B-Lo. It's the suburbs.

I saw some people recommending living in Riverside or Black Rock. If you want the best bang for your buck, move to South Buffalo, off Seneca Street near Caz Park. While it's not the classiest area, crime is very low and it's actually a really nice place to live.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadetoBlack View Post
Williamsville/Amherst isn't Buffalo, and it's definitely not B-Lo. It's the suburbs.

I saw some people recommending living in Riverside or Black Rock. If you want the best bang for your buck, move to South Buffalo, off Seneca Street near Caz Park. While it's not the classiest area, crime is very low and it's actually a really nice place to live.
Totally disagree. The Eastsiders seem to be moving in quite nicely when I was down that way having a slime dog near Caz Park last fall.I also stopped at the ATM near Seneca and Zittel and asked a local standing in line when the "Demographics" changed so much from what I remembered from the 90's. He said about 5 years ago. Looked like a different world to the still largely Irish population of the 1990's.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 PM

Come to think of it. Around 2002 when I still spent saturday nights down that way at a buddy's place on Zittel, I was pumping gas at the Mobil station on Seneca, the one near the West Seneca line next to that slime dog shop. It was only 11 AM. While I was pumping gas, some "Eastside Lady" walks up to me and asks me "if I date".LOL. I looked at her and told her she won't be getting any dates with the gray around the temples.LOL. Hopefully she stopped selling her services after that. At the time South Buff was mostly 30's and 40's metalheads who prided themselves in keeping those types of people out. Obviously somewhere after that, they succumbed to what Hertel area has too. Never thought Hertel and South Buff would allow it to happen. Obviously it did.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:53 AM

879 posts, read 1,629,954 times
Magnum, as a resident of the Hertel area and of Buffalo for 20+ years I find your comments offensive and narrow minded.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Magnum, as a resident of the Hertel area and of Buffalo for 20+ years I find your comments offensive and narrow minded.
Well guess what. That is your reality in a once proud Italian Neighborhood. Deal with it.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
So, what is the point of magnum's last few posts? People can't move in unless people move out.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-08-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Well guess what. That is your reality in a once proud Italian Neighborhood. Deal with it.
Funny, I was in the Hertel area just a couple days ago and it seemed perfectly fine and held on to its Italian roots. No riff raff or problems.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, what is the point of magnum's last few posts? People can't move in unless people move out.
I took it as he's a card carrying member of the KKK ......... but I think most of us already knew that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Funny, I was in the Hertel area just a couple days ago and it seemed perfectly fine and held on to its Italian roots. No riff raff or problems.
Keep in mind that to Magnum riff raff = anyone not upper or middle class white.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
I took it as he's a card carrying member of the KKK ......... but I think most of us already knew that.

Keep in mind that to Magnum riff raff = anyone not upper or middle class white.
Quite the contrary JBlake. Have had friends of different minorities throughout my life. The difference is I accept any walk of life so long as they are a contributing member of society. Meaning they aren't on Section 8 or collecting free money when they are capable of working for a living.

Homeowners in the city and first ring suburbs have sold out since the 90's and have accepted Section 8 in droves. That brings problems which have risen in formerly safe areas like North and South Buff. I can see why a desperate homeowner will accept it. It's guaranteed money and chances of renter default is marginal since all but $100 or so is guaranteed by the government. It's a vicious cycle and depreciates neighborhood values.

Look at you. I imagine you are in a decent area of Hamburg from what I remember. Lets say your neighbors either retire or relocate but still need to cover the costs of the home they can't sell in Hamburg. Like many in the suburbs in the 90's back there, they rent out to Section 8. When you start seeing lazy unemployed slugs drinking all hours of the day living in a rental home that the government covers, are you going to be doing cartwheels ? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area