Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Thank you!! That was exactly what I needed to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,135 times
Just retired in the buffalo area. Came from the NYC area back in 83 and never looked back. This area is the best kept secret in NYS.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:55 AM

9 posts, read 67,688 times
Nice to hear some positive remarks.... Snows plenty but it is part of the life style and they are experienced at keeping
roads clear. I predicted when they banned motor vehicle traffic in down town buffalo it would kill the area.....and I was correct... not the U Bee pseudo intellectuals who turned it into a boarded up ghost town. Finally they are opening it up. I remember when downtown was a hopping place. Hope it returns to normal.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 AM

879 posts, read 1,630,631 times
Well, there are too many developers with too much vested personal interest in seeing their own assets prosper versus the region as a whole, so the "hopping downtown" is not likely. More than likely the developers with the greatest pull will get their pet projects going but there won't be a cohesive plan.

1) Some gentrification of city areas (slowly) and decline of others. The east side of Buffalo will slowly migrate to Cheektowaga, West Seneca and parts of SW Amherst.
2) Over building in Amherst, village of Williamsville area (as Cheektowaga and most of Sheridan strip have been exhausted / over-built and now vacant)
3) People will move further out to Clarence / Lancaster and will take some retail with them, leaving behind more empty strip plazas.
4) Population loss in WNY will have steadied, as points south and east see their infrastructure costs rise (and jobs not that great in value or quantity) so too will cost of living making WNY a more appealing place to live (comparatively) but that won't be for another 20 years or so.

All this is a way to exploit migration patterns and profit from Americans buying and selling crap rather than creating a sustainable lifestyle.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 AM

417 posts, read 867,425 times
Forget the high taxes argument, you think they are practically giving homes away here compared to long island, the taxes are more than offset by low stable housing prices.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:24 AM

417 posts, read 867,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post
Actually, AAA estimates that the full cost of owning a car is from $8000 to $10,000 annually. (And you know AAA is not in the business of playing up the disadvantages of car ownership!) So there is some serious money to be saved by living and working in an area that allow you to be a one (or even no) car household.
you cant ditch the car automatically by living in Buffalo. Ive worked downtown for 13 years and almost everyone ive ever worked with, buffalo or suburbanites...have cars. We dont have the mass transit systems required to have people not own a car. Don't mislead the OP.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:27 PM

252 posts, read 649,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
you cant ditch the car automatically by living in Buffalo. Ive worked downtown for 13 years and almost everyone ive ever worked with, buffalo or suburbanites...have cars. We dont have the mass transit systems required to have people not own a car. Don't mislead the OP.
Automatically? No. You need to work close enough to home that you can do your daily commute by walking, bicycle, or public transit. But for many people it is entirely possible, and they will save substantial money by doing so. My family of four has one car, which works out just fine for us. My comment that you quoted was in response to genoobie, who pointed out that he has a five person household with one car. It is entirely feasible, under certain circumstances, to have a one or no car household in Buffalo.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,812,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
Forget the high taxes argument, you think they are practically giving homes away here compared to long island, the taxes are more than offset by low stable housing prices.
Obviously, he has no clue of housing or COL on LI. Having come from there and with lots of family still there and in Jersey? I know the overvaluation of houses, the high taxes and the COL.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,812,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amccom View Post
Nice to hear some positive remarks.... Snows plenty but it is part of the life style and they are experienced at keeping
roads clear. I predicted when they banned motor vehicle traffic in down town buffalo it would kill the area.....and I was correct... not the U Bee pseudo intellectuals who turned it into a boarded up ghost town. Finally they are opening it up. I remember when downtown was a hopping place. Hope it returns to normal.
When I came, there were 7 department stores downtown, the Main Place mall was full of specialty stores and the HSBC tower wasn't finished. Once they built the rail and took out what Buffalo needs most ( PARKING ! ) , the city dried up fast. My hubby, having grown up here even remember the trolleys and the building of the 33! The expressways were also part of the downfall: it divided the city into political chunks, into racial chunks and god only knows how else. Destroyed the Olmstead Parkways in many places which originally traversed the city -- look at old maps, pre-WWII.

We really do not snow that much -- this is a winter which is bad. [Syracuse usually gets the Snowball award... ] I was reading an "Out of the Past" in our local Bee Newspaper and it was 125 years ago, warning of how bad the winter continued to be. It is cyclical -- you get a pattern of good years, then bad, then good, etc. Frozen lake? No lake effect but colder and more snow from Canada. I'll keep the weather ( esp. the great cool summers) over other places. Plus, we will probably never need to ration water

Old 02-27-2014, 11:23 AM

252 posts, read 649,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Once they built the rail and took out what Buffalo needs most ( PARKING ! ) , the city dried up fast.
LOL - more than 50% of downtown Buffalo is parking! How much more do you need?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area