Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times

Advertisements

I never heard of a "handle" either -- or has my husband. I have been here 43 years, and he grew up here and has been here 22 years longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 01:31 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
You've never heard anyone say something like "lets go get a handle of Beam"? Like I said I heard it a lot in MD & PA in my youth but can't honestly say I've heard it here (though I also don't hang out with people who are going to get a handle of Beam on Friday night anymore).
almost 40 yrs either living in WNY or frequent visits and I can honestly say I've never heard this term. And trust me, the crowd I hung with "back in the day" frequented the ole liquor store on a reg basis

Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 AM

196 posts, read 443,040 times
Yep, a handle. It fits. Funny you mention Jim Beam. Beats kessler I guess.

This is the first place I heard of a stinger. Chicken finger steak sub. Very good. And you dont order pizza without wings. Stuffed peppers abound. And if you want fish, it better be haddock.

I hear a lot of dees, dis, dat and dohs in Chicago, but not too much here. Three is still pronounced that way, but the old school types in chicago say tree.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Komo View Post

This is the first place I heard of a stinger. Chicken finger steak sub. Very good. And you dont order pizza without wings. Stuffed peppers abound. And if you want fish, it better be haddock.

I hear a lot of dees, dis, dat and dohs in Chicago, but not too much here. Three is still pronounced that way, but the old school types in chicago say tree.

I've never heard of a "handle" nor a "stinger". LOL, are you from someplace else?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:00 PM

As far as I know, linguistically we have the same base as Detroit or Chicago. But of course, specific regions adopt slight differences.

Pittsburgh is very unique, and has very little in common with Buffalo and Rochester. "Pittsburghese" is an accent all its own. Buffalo and Rochester have nothing in common with New England accents. I live in Maine and it is not even close. I have friends from every NE state and it's really not even close. I listen to Mainers and sometimes can't understand them. Up here Downeast it is thick.

I dated a girl from the Meadville area and she said I had an accent. Just nuances though.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Komo View Post

Never heard of a stinger either.

Wings were invented here. Almost every pizzeria makes them and by now, does it well. They taste good together. Never had a wing outside of WNY that tastes like a wing. [I even taught my nephew to make them -- the right way! (he lives downstate)]. I have never come to love fish fry, but that is bercause I grew up on the water and fished in the ocean with my Dad -- and we ate what we caught. I learned to clean fish at 8 or 9... around here, everyone does catch and release. Silly to me, but haddock? Used as it is simply a cheap white fish which flakes nicely when fried (and better than the alternative: cod)

Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Used as it is simply a cheap white fish which flakes nicely when fried (and better than the alternative: cod)
Haddock is cheap?!?! Better tell my grocer! I believe the price of Haddock vs. Cod has a nominal difference.

Cod is essentially the same thing as Haddock. Visibly different but once in the freezer, fugetaboutit. Pollock as well - Pollock is probably the "cheap fish" you are thinking of. $7.50/lb. for wild Haddock up here vs. $5/lb for Pollock.

Many of those "Haddock" fish frys are probably Pollock substituted. I remember a study done on ABC where even fish experts can't tell the difference between certain species of fish in the freezer. Many foreign and domestic fisherman are pulling one over on all of us.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 AM

553 posts, read 1,272,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Never heard of a stinger either.

Wings were invented here. Almost every pizzeria makes them and by now, does it well. They taste good together. Never had a wing outside of WNY that tastes like a wing. [I even taught my nephew to make them -- the right way! (he lives downstate)]. I have never come to love fish fry, but that is bercause I grew up on the water and fished in the ocean with my Dad -- and we ate what we caught. I learned to clean fish at 8 or 9... around here, everyone does catch and release. Silly to me, but haddock? Used as it is simply a cheap white fish which flakes nicely when fried (and better than the alternative: cod)

Yeah, I live in NC and I have YET to find a good pizza and wing place. There is Buffalo Brothers in Raleigh that is the closest thing. Usually, I just have them Fed Ex'ed from the Anchor Bar. I wish Duff's would deliver cross country.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:56 PM

341 posts, read 684,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
I've never heard of a "handle" nor a "stinger". LOL, are you from someplace else?
Call your nearest pizza place, and ask how much their stinger sub is... They'll tell you

Old 05-20-2012, 02:06 PM

196 posts, read 443,040 times
Yep, Jim Stakeout has a very tasty one, albeit a bit pricey.

Heard this one the other day. A buddy got a stinger and "housed" it. I am like what the heck are you talking about. I guess its a word that describes slammin a sandwich very fast. Thought it was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area