Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Buffalo
Attachment 96946
Forest Hills
Attachment 96947
Bryant is a separate neighborhood above Allentown. Is that still considered to be a part of Elmwood Village? //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...uffalo-NY.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...uffalo-NY.html

Here's another website: https://www.crimereports.com/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-12-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Bryant is a separate neighborhood above Allentown. Is that still considered to be a part of Elmwood Village? //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...uffalo-NY.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...uffalo-NY.html

Here's another website: https://www.crimereports.com/
Maybe it's a real estate trick, but anything in that area is being considered Elmwood Village. Where does Elmwood Village technically start and stop?

Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 PM

252 posts, read 649,736 times
Quote:
I have never heard anyone refer to Bryant as a separate neighborhood. Anything from Forest to North and from Richmond to Delaware is generally considered the Elmwood Village.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post
I have never heard anyone refer to Bryant as a separate neighborhood. Anything from Forest to North and from Richmond to Delaware is generally considered the Elmwood Village.
I was wondering about that, as the first time I saw the Bryant label was on a Google Map of the city and on this website in regards to Buffalo neighborhoods. You actually see Elmwood Village banners in that area. So, it is interesting how some areas are labeled or that they may be referred to by different names.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I was wondering about that, as the first time I saw the Bryant label was on a Google Map of the city and on this website in regards to Buffalo neighborhoods. You actually see Elmwood Village banners in that area. So, it is interesting how some areas are labeled or that they may be referred to by different names.
Yes, I saw that as well. Maybe it was titled Bryant for awhile, but given the real estate market, they termed it Elmwood Village? It sounds more desirable given then Bryant and could bring more people in. Possibly like Brooklyn does with Williamsburg so people will move into the higher crime areas because they hope for gentrification.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 AM

341 posts, read 684,002 times
Quote:
Buffalo
Attachment 96946
Forest Hills
Attachment 96947
Ok, now tell us the per capita crime rate...

Yes, EV has 600K houses. And, EV also has MANY people both living there, and traversing the area (It's also a business and college district).

20 violent crimes in the past two months works out to about 1 in 1000. That's pretty damned low.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
Ok, now tell us the per capita crime rate...

Yes, EV has 600K houses. And, EV also has MANY people both living there, and traversing the area (It's also a business and college district).

20 violent crimes in the past two months works out to about 1 in 1000. That's pretty damned low.
Look at the attachments. The first is Buffalo, the second where I live now. I'm not saying Forest Hills is better then anything, I love Elmwood and Buffalo. But over 100 crimes, many very very recent. The area is even smaller then the area I selected for FH.

My point is that a desireable area experiencing THIS much crime is pretty bad. That pushes people into the Burbs and loses the good people that open up businesses along Elmwood.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Look at the attachments. The first is Buffalo, the second where I live now. I'm not saying Forest Hills is better then anything, I love Elmwood and Buffalo. But over 100 crimes, many very very recent. The area is even smaller then the area I selected for FH.

My point is that a desireable area experiencing THIS much crime is pretty bad. That pushes people into the Burbs and loses the good people that open up businesses along Elmwood.
I do wonder as to when and how many of the crimes occur, as it is an area with bars and in turn, you may get your late night bar related incidents there. If that is the case, that makes me wonder if those crimes would potentially effect you personally. This isn't to down play the crime, but lifestyle and situations also have to be considred as well.

Theft seems to be more of an issue and that means that people should make sure they have their items in a secure place. These could have occurred from businesses as well.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 AM

341 posts, read 684,002 times
Quote:

Your maps show total crime numbers, not per capita crime rate, which is really the important figure. The crimes per 1000 people. Crimes per square mile isn't really comparable.

As I've said already, 100 crimes over 2 months works to something like 1 per 1000 or so. Maybe even higher, as I am using a very conservative population guess for Elmwood Village.

And, adding to this, Forest Hills is not a very good comparison. You need to compare like with like, and Forest Hills really isn't comparable to Elmwood Village. A better comparison would be Alphabet City (If we were to go with NYC neighborhoods).

And, adding even more: Within the past three months, I was told there was a rash of robberies and what not in EV, so it may not be indicative of the norm there.

Your notion that "this is what pushes people to the burbs" is a little off. EV is growing, not shrinking, so your statement is not very applicable.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,565 times
You seem to not know what Elmwood Village is.

Elmwood Village is a gentrified community. That means, the neighborhood was historically poorer and more crime-ridden, and people came in and built a business block there. Sort of like pushing back the rubbish from the main drag. Elmwood Village has always had crime around it, since before Elmwood Village came into its own. A few blocks over in any direction is tough poor living. Elmwood Village was the same before it was gentrified. The crime spills over because there are no physical barriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area