Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,370 times

Advertisements

Hello I am starting a medical residency program at Erie County Medical Center and was wondering if anyone has input on Collegiate Village apartments?? How safe is the area??? It is at Eggert Road in 14215 zip code....I have a new car and have heard of thefts so I am concerned. Should I live somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 03:50 AM

879 posts, read 1,632,916 times
You'd be better off in North Buffalo, Delaware, Hertel, Elmwood might be a bit far from ECMC, but you have a car, etc.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 PM

170 posts, read 252,558 times
agreed. you are better looking in North Buffalo or Elmwood. Parts of Cheektowaga, West Seneca or even South Buffalo aren't a bad commute with the 33. There are some nice buildings on Delaware, Linwood, and Elmwood that house many residents. Check it out on craigslist. 916 Delaware has gated parking.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM

137 posts, read 267,177 times
Wear a bullet-proof vest.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 PM

400 posts, read 576,513 times
That area is where a lot of students and professors live, it's not a bad area. Some people on here have never been to the area and judged it because you said East Buffalo. It is on the far North East side of town and it's a middle class area with lots of rentals for college students and professors. Your car would be fine parked in that area. The rent is pretty high for the WNY area but if you don't want to buy everything for your apartment then it's a deal. Their website list it at $935 for a single apartment. You could probably get into one of the new furnished loft apartments Downtown for the same. If you are interested in an unfurnished apartment then you can find plenty right now, craigslist is loaded. And contact the two leading developers for rental info, Ellicott Development and Sinatra & Company. They have really nice buildings geared towards young professionals.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 AM

341 posts, read 684,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
Some people on here have never been to the area and judged it because you said East Buffalo.
That seems to be quite common on this forum. I've been noting many people who live in Amherst, and work in Williamsville, often thing "Buffalo = Crime ridden"... And, "East Side = War Zone".

I've been looking at a house on Jefferson Ave, gorgeous. Probably would have bought it too, had I actually been able to get in to see it.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,169,079 times
I went to University at Buffalo, ex lived in Collegiate Village. I also did a (finance) internship at ECMC. Welcome!

Collegiate Village seemed to be a safe neighborhood because it's gated. I never heard of any crime IN CV, neighboring areas, yes. Then again, it's Buffalo. I made the commute from Amherst to ECMC, and from Amherst to Orchard Park almost daily.

CV are nice apts. I'd say go see for yourself (if you haven't already). I'm not sure if the gate security has slacked, but that was a nice touch. I remember every day they would call my boyfriend and confirm he was expecting me, even when they knew who I was every day!

Good luck. I say go for it. Plus they have a decent gym, basketball courts, and pool!

EDIT: I say Amherst because I lived off Sweethome road (Near UB north campus), and traveling to ECMC from CV was much shorter/easier.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,825,151 times
ECMC is close to most expressways. My one daughter zips home on the 33 (Kensington) to get off near the airport in 20 min. You can catch the 190 to the 290 or the 90 .. all thruway. Any of these get you to ECMC fast. Even the 990 ( from near SUNY North Campus will get you to the thruway and downtown fast.

Follow the expressways. Once you pass the city or start of the innner ring suburbs, basically all is safe.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:35 PM

879 posts, read 1,632,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Follow the expressways. Once you pass the city or start of the innner ring suburbs, basically all is safe.
...seriously?? I have lived in Buffalo for 20+ years. The only crime I have been subjected to is a stolen bicycle that I left unlocked in my front lawn for half a day. If you love driving, take the above advice, if you love not driving, consider something else.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,825,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
...seriously?? I have lived in Buffalo for 20+ years. The only crime I have been subjected to is a stolen bicycle that I left unlocked in my front lawn for half a day. If you love driving, take the above advice, if you love not driving, consider something else.
Collegiate Village is a gated community for a reason. [It is also virtually in Cheektowaga. That says enough.]

Any Med Student is going to need access to transportation and if they go to Collegiate Village, that means a car.

I'd pick a safer place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area