Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM

61 posts, read 166,661 times

Advertisements

Hello
I was looking for recommendations of reliable local movers. I am moving about 30 minuets away, and wanted to hire someone to move my big furniture. So far all the big official companies seem to charge ~$100/ hour, which I can't afford. I called some of the people listed on craigslist, and they seemed far more affordable, but I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with one, and they could recommend them.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 01:11 PM

252 posts, read 650,133 times
We had good experiences with Diamond Moving. I don't remember how much they charged, but I don't think it was $100/hour. You have to have them actually move your stuff, though; they won't come out just to load or unload your U-Haul.

Hiring some strong guys from a staffing agency or Craigslist is always an option, but I think you leave yourself liable if anyone were to get hurt, and of course there's no guarantee that they are trained or experienced in moving heavy furniture safely and without damaging it.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:58 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post
We had good experiences with Diamond Moving. I don't remember how much they charged, but I don't think it was $100/hour. You have to have them actually move your stuff, though; they won't come out just to load or unload your U-Haul.

Hiring some strong guys from a staffing agency or Craigslist is always an option, but I think you leave yourself liable if anyone were to get hurt, and of course there's no guarantee that they are trained or experienced in moving heavy furniture safely and without damaging it.
The other concern can be that they show up. On my recent move I had arranged for 2 separate helpers and neither showed.

Moving Help
This site lists many different local companies that provide helpers . The prices here are based on 3 hours for 2 people. There is a link for each company to see reviews. You could check with some of the lower priced ones if they offer a better price for a shorter time and use the reviews to decide if they seem reputable.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
When I rented a Uhaul you have the option to hire people based on how many people and hours. We were moving in NYC and they were only like 65 an hour for 2 guys. They were beasts and got us moved out of our place in LI and into our place in Queens (with a tiny elevator mind you). I expected 5 or 6 hours and paid for such, they did it just under 4 hours totall.

The plus is that Uhaul holds them responsible so you ensure you don't get ripped off plus they have a ratings system to rank them. Something to take a look into since you are concerned about them not showing or breaking something.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
I highly recommend Zito Movers!! Ask for a free quote. I was blown away by what an awesome, professional job they did for me through 3 moves and for my family members when they've moved around the WNY area. Reasonable rates, especially if you do not have a TON of crap.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:53 PM

196 posts, read 443,117 times
Zito movers did ok by me. I would recommend them.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Komo View Post
Zito movers did ok by me. I would recommend them.
I would not recommend them to anyone. My daughter used them. They came the wrong time -- got a big job in the afternoon and showed at 8am; she was not ready, rushed her and got pissy about doing stairs ( at the time, she was moving to a 3rd floor). Broke a chest as well. Granted it was over 10 years ago and I hope they have improved....

Old 08-05-2012, 04:17 PM

16 posts, read 16,965 times
Default Zito and Conjierti

I have used Zito, they are great.

I have used Conjierti from Lockport a few times. I really liked them a lot. Especially because I had a NordickTrack Treadmill that needed to be taken apart in 2 pieces to move. they did a great job and were
very reasonable in price.

Cyndie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area