Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,553 times

Advertisements

Hey all My fiance and I are having a dispute over if 19th street and ferry are ok for children. He thinks it's alright but I think other wise. What are you personal opinions and what areas do you think should be avoided. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:10 PM

341 posts, read 683,944 times
No. That is one of the dregs of the West Side. A little further down, towards Richmond, or away from Ferry, it gets better fast; but that intersection is one of the loci of crime in the WS area.

I would also avoid anything from Hoyt to Niagara, and down to Forest, unless you feel like taking a chance. From Hoyt to Grant, it can go either way. Past Grant, it's a no-fly zone (IMO).

From Baynes towards Richmond (And on) is not bad, generally. Personally? I wouldn't buy on "This" side of Richmond; but as I said, the area can (And will change) in the future. Elmwood Village will either spill over into it, or the disreputable folk will take it over again.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 PM

252 posts, read 649,693 times
I don't know that block exactly, and that area really changes on a block by block basis. Head a couple of blocks southeast towards Rhode Island and things get a lot nicer. A few blocks north towards Lafayette is the same, with lots of young families moving in as owner-occupants around Parkdale, Greenwood, Congress, etc. There are definitely trouble spots on those streets but the trend is definitely towards improvement.

It doesn't help that the intersection in question is allegedly home to one of the last bastions of organized crime in Buffalo.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
a map that get's posted now and then is here Buffalo Neighborhoods Map - University at Buffalo Libraries

Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM

719 posts, read 1,552,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxpinkuxx View Post
Hey all My fiance and I are having a dispute over if 19th street and ferry are ok for children. He thinks it's alright but I think other wise. What are you personal opinions and what areas do you think should be avoided. Thanks.
I don't think I'd want to do this area with kiddos. As a single guy I might consider it cause it's a good location near Allentown and downtown. Bonus would be walking to pick up your pizza and wings at La Nova's

Old 06-26-2012, 06:25 PM

170 posts, read 251,950 times
i agree with all the other posts. No, 19th and Ferry....No. I have lived on 19th and Mass, 15th and Mass, Vermont between Richmond and 15th. And after moving from the upper West side it still remained one of my work territories. No Chenango, No Grant and Herkimer. Actually, i wouldn't do much of Grant from Herkimer to....ok..maye none of it. It breaks my heart actually..there are wonerful people living there...but the drugs and gangs, in my opinion make it family unfriendly and unsafe.

Streets running between Richmond and Linwood will serve you better, if you want city proper. North Buffalo has some great family areas too.

Im a South Buffalo gal at heart...check it out if you can be on the south end

Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
Chenango is seeing a revival of sorts, but I haven't been to the neighborhood too recently. I know a guy who is raising his four daughters near five points bakery and they like it. It's all a matter of perspective and what you think is "dangerous".

Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Chenango is seeing a revival of sorts, but I haven't been to the neighborhood too recently. I know a guy who is raising his four daughters near five points bakery and they like it. It's all a matter of perspective and what you think is "dangerous".
Yep. Some people think a gang sign on a light pole or a piece of litter is a sign of danger.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 AM

341 posts, read 683,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
I'd agree, the areas as you move away from the particular location given are safer (Depending on direction). However, 19th and Ferry specifically, is a locus for crime. Southwards, especially, it gets progressively better (With some exceptions).

Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Yep. Some people think a gang sign on a light pole or a piece of litter is a sign of danger.
Dude, you live in Lubec, Maine...what do you know about gang signs on light poles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area