Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Buffalo area is most strongly associated with:
Toronto 9 50.00%
Cities other than Toronto 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 PM

466 posts, read 977,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
They'll both be fighting over who gets the healthcare and education jobs.

Rochester will decline slower, so the "larger" debate means next to nothing.
Well, not really. Buffalo's metro area lost 3% in population 2000-2010 while Rochester's metro gained 1.6%. Obviously not much, but it's some growth. Now if we're just talking the cities, then you are correct. 10.7% loss for Buffalo, 4.2% Rochester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:19 PM

82 posts, read 142,002 times
I agree with FadetoBlack. Toronto is a world class, cosmopolitan city and about as opposite of Buffalo as you could get. There is such a stark difference between the two cities that Toronto's influence on Buffalo is miniscule, geography notwithstanding. It's a totally different culture.

And as far as Buffalo and Rochester growing together, I don't see it happening any time soon. There are 50 miles of boondocks between the eastern suburbs of Buffalo and the western suburbs of Rochester with no real growth happening to shrink it. The Buffalo metro is declining and Rochester is flat so there is no reason to think the two will link up in the forseeable future. Apart from the Bills and Sabres, I don't think people in Rochester give Buffalo much thought, and people in Buffalo give even less thought to Rochester. Each city has it's own media, arts scene, cultural attractions etc. so there is very little interaction bewteen the two. Bottom line is Buffalo has its own sense of place and yes it is influenced slightly by other cities, but not enough in my opinion to really make a dent in Buffalo's unique culture and identity.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 AM

341 posts, read 681,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I'm not sure if I read this wrong or if you are trying to say Rochester is becoming a suburb of Buffalo. If anything, it's the opposite. Most people predict Rochester to be larger in population in another decade and Rochester already has the larger economy.
No, what I am saying is that I see a situation like Dallas-Fort Worth. Two cities, inseparable from each other, and are now considered one single city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnno View Post
I agree with FadetoBlack. Toronto is a world class, cosmopolitan city and about as opposite of Buffalo as you could get. There is such a stark difference between the two cities that Toronto's influence on Buffalo is miniscule, geography notwithstanding. It's a totally different culture.

And as far as Buffalo and Rochester growing together, I don't see it happening any time soon. There are 50 miles of boondocks between the eastern suburbs of Buffalo and the western suburbs of Rochester with no real growth happening to shrink it. The Buffalo metro is declining and Rochester is flat so there is no reason to think the two will link up in the forseeable future. Apart from the Bills and Sabres, I don't think people in Rochester give Buffalo much thought, and people in Buffalo give even less thought to Rochester. Each city has it's own media, arts scene, cultural attractions etc. so there is very little interaction bewteen the two. Bottom line is Buffalo has its own sense of place and yes it is influenced slightly by other cities, but not enough in my opinion to really make a dent in Buffalo's unique culture and identity.

My thing I'm seeing is the are betwixt the two filling in, conjoining the two metros.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:38 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,798,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Yeah, I don't really understand the mentality of people who commute 30, 40, or more miles a day one-way. Waste of money, time, and life. Buffalo is full of them though. Most of those people I don't consider to be very smart.

I worked in Tonawanda and lived there - never went to Canada. I worked a place who hired a guy who commuted from Stockton (in Chautauqua County) to River Road in Tonawanda. That commute is over an hour one way...and about 65 miles. He worked as a trucker so he would have had to get up at 5 am, commute 1:15, work for 10-13 hours a day, and commute 1:15 back home. Idiotic. I'm from Jamestown and found that to be absolutely demented.

As for the OP's question, I don't really see much influence of Canada on the Buffalo area. If anything, NF, Canada has the most influence. The border is a natural barrier, and since Buffalo is the biggest city north of NYC it exerts influence over all of WNY. If anything, in recent years we've influenced the nearest cities in Canada due to the CAD being more valuable than the USD.
A 30 to 40 mile commute is not uncommon, and really, isn't that big of a deal of here, since we don't have the traffic problems of other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadetoBlack View Post
I hate when Western New Yorkers try to put Buffalo anywhere in the same realm as Toronto. Toronto is a world-class, thriving city and Buffalo is a backwater. No comparison can be made.
From Toronto? Who made the comparison of Buffalo to Toronto? We are talking about the relationships, where people "go to", and connections, not comparisons.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM

271 posts, read 530,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post

From Toronto? Who made the comparison of Buffalo to Toronto? We are talking about the relationships, where people "go to", and connections, not comparisons.
No one made that connection, just one of your typical insecure Torontonians on a shoot-down-places-that-aren't-Toronto harangue. I deal with these types constantly and it's irritating.

I like going to Buffalo, when I get the chance. Toronto's very new, it doesn't feel very homogenized. Buffalo has some blight and problems not associated with Toronto, but some of the downtown architecture is stunning and a departure from the bland, modern skyscrapers here. Of course, a ton of people from Toronto come down to Buffalo to fly elsewhere, since it's much cheaper. I wish both cities were better connected, but as Toronto grows changes from a blue collar industrial town to a service-oriented economy, there's less urgency in aligning with rust belt cities, with the exception of Chicago. The city we really care about in NYS is NYC, but we shouldn't forget our roots.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,798,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
and vise versa. There are many from Buffalo who commute here... Also many from one city go to the other for college or settle down there. I spend a couple months out of the year commuting to Buffalo for work when they need help and when we need help the Buffalo people come here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post

Of course, a ton of people from Toronto come down to Buffalo to fly elsewhere, since it's much cheaper. I wish both cities were better connected, but as Toronto grows changes from a blue collar industrial town to a service-oriented economy, there's less urgency in aligning with rust belt cities, with the exception of Chicago. The city we really care about in NYS is NYC, but we shouldn't forget our roots.

I've always wonder how many people commute (maybe not daily) between Buffalo and Toronto. If we had a real high-speed rail, or perhaps a tunnel under Lake Ontario, it would change the dynamics. The economics would be pretty interesting (and better) if this were ever to happen.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM

18 posts, read 36,075 times
yeah well the asian mafia gets a lot of labor in from toronto just like mexicans coming in across the southern border...a lot of asians are smuggled in from the northern border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area