Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 AM

908 posts, read 1,118,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitelyrestless View Post
That comment was a waste of time and ooooo's. I am quite clearly not the master of the universe, and thus cannot make absolutes.

What I do know is that I was never once questioned about why I chose to live where I lived in Virginia, and never once persuaded/suggested/hinted/nudged to move into a trendy area...or anywhere other than where I lived. And it's one thing to encourage in a friendly matter, but to put me down? Immature and narrow-minded in my opinion.
Two words: loosen. up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
And I'll likely be at the corner of Allen and Mariner come 4 AM tonight...that intersection, and the bar which is located at it, were so much more glorious about 3-4 years ago, but it's still the best option in Buffalo for late-night debauchery bar none
The old Pink???

Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 AM

46 posts, read 87,533 times
Quote:
Haha, wow. Now I'm curious. I use my real name; you say things like that, you need to reveal your actual identity, haha. Or at least your source(s).

While our definitions of "adventure" may differ, I fail to see how Williamsville could be all that conducive to the pursuit of ANY form of adventure, unless your idea of adventure is something along the lines of this: shoplifting an inexpensive item from, eh, Talbot's (the only Williamsville store I can think of offhand, assuming Stereo Advantage doesn't exist 15 years after I was last there); escaping on foot (I know you prefer to drive, but bear with me here) to La Nova; stealing the keys to one of the many luxury SUVs that happen to pass for a delivery vehicle there (that detail may perhaps only be applicable to the original W Ferry location, but let's pretend it isn't); momentarily agonizing over whether to fuel your getaway from the village with coffee from Tim Hortons, Dunkin Donuts, OR McDonald's, all located within a few-block radius of that La Nova location; finally deciding on McDonald's because you haven't yet sold your stolen La Nova Lexus or your stolen Talbot's belt and thus can't resist the lure of 79 cent coffee (if you were a local, your loyalty to Tim Horton's just might override the concern of saving a dollar); tempting the cops to pull you over by driving 44 in the 35 on Main Street; finally reaching the Williamsville/Snyder border and feeling quite self-satisfied once you realize that you're the first person to ever break the law in either of those villages, but making sure to find a hideout before you reach Eggertsville, where your crime would begin to be diminished by the presence of others with claims to similar feats

That last paragraph has to be at least as close to describing your aspirations as you were to describing my preferences, otherwise, choosing to live in Williamsville and being adventurous would seem to be mutually exclusive.
We have a mutual friend...and it sounds like the basis of your impressions of Williamsville come from reading the local police blotters.

My buddy and I were talking about it last night (he's a Buffalo native), and he told me that Buffalo doesn't really have a 'neighborhood' for young professionals (which surprised me, because I thought that was EV or AllenT). His depiction of young professionals was "well-to-do" as opposed to "hipster". Don't shoot the messenger! Thought it was interesting though. Maybe the reason more young professionals don't live in Williamsville is that they can't afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Two words: loosen. up.
I can't - I'm infinitely restless

Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times
Quote:
We have a mutual friend...and it sounds like the basis of your impressions of Williamsville come from reading the local police blotters.

My buddy and I were talking about it last night (he's a Buffalo native), and he told me that Buffalo doesn't really have a 'neighborhood' for young professionals (which surprised me, because I thought that was EV or AllenT). His depiction of young professionals was "well-to-do" as opposed to "hipster". Don't shoot the messenger! Thought it was interesting though. Maybe the reason more young professionals don't live in Williamsville is that they can't afford it.
EV is a mix of College students, post college student hipsters, young professionals, old money "Blue Bloods" and some ghetto elements. Not many working or middle class families (that is more North Buffalo).

Last edited by Port North; 07-25-2012 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times
Quote:
Oh, for sure I will have a different POV in a decade regarding Buffalo, depending where I visit/move. And yeah I think life is purposeless; that conclusion is not contigent on location/circumstance and thus will not (or should not anyway) change given a new residence

Yeah, there was no real point for me to address you on the topic of having kids; at the time, I just felt like throwing a little bit of philoso-bait out there. Cheers
Self-selected genetic culling. I have no problem with that, in fact it has happened more often in history than you may think.

Just don't try to make life difficult for us whose survival instincts are a bit stronger.

Party on dude!!!

Last edited by Port North; 07-25-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:

I can't - I'm infinitely restless
Your friend's right. Buffalo doesn't have many young professionals, period...Erie County is as old as any county in the nation not named Palm Beach. Brain drain's been occurring for as long as I've been alive, and there aren't many white-collar jobs here

My "impression" of Williamsville was a sarcastic figment of my imagination, a result of an effort to envision a scenario whereby it became the backdrop for actual adventure. Believe me, when I read the "Police & Courts" column of the Buffalo News, I'm rarely if ever reading about Williamsville

Who's the mutual friend? I don't have very many friends remaining in Buffalo who'd be crossing paths with you/knowing that I tend to take walks and that I like to talk to random people when drunk

Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Self-selected genetic culling. I have no problem with that, in fact it has happened more often in history than you may think.

Just don't try to make life difficult for us whose survival instincts are a bit stronger.

Party on dude!!!
lol @ social Darwinian undertones of this post..."ignorant on" dude!!!

Why would you take pride in identifying with any instinct? Instincts are primitive. Most intelligent people tend to want to downplay the influence of instinct on their actions in favor of reason, but then, most intelligent people wouldn't waste years/decades of their lives on Long Island, either.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
The old Pink???
yessir

Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 AM

46 posts, read 87,533 times
Quote:
Who's the mutual friend?
If I told you, it would take the fun out of this. But that's what you get for using your actual name as a username.

If I had to sort you into a district like that hat from Harry Potter, you'd definitely be in Allentown ALL THE WAY.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
If I told you, it would take the fun out of this. But that's what you get for using your actual name as a username.

If I had to sort you into a district like that hat from Harry Potter, you'd definitely be in Allentown ALL THE WAY.
I have no interest in Harry Potter, so any references to it are lost on me. But I think I get the point...but you say that like you actually know me. Have we ever actually met, or has someone just been describing me in your presence? If I really had to venture a guess, I'd guess that you work at Segmedica....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area