Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Another thing IT GUY, I will give you the moral fabric of middle aged women in Buffalo. I am middle aged now so I can see through the mind of one of that age. When I was at UB in the early 90's, my action was not primarily PJ Bottoms or 3rd Base on Main St. It was The Marriot on Tuesday Night ladies night ! We all called it "The Married Rot". Women twice my age took their rings off in unhappy marriages hoping to get some action. It was easy pickings. Even at Jack's Place that was known as an off duty Amherst Cop hangout next door, I scored with the wife of a high ranking Erie County cop at that time. Is it that the men are lame or are the women so BORED with living in such a cesspool known as WNY that they stray to break up the monotony of their lives ? I think the answer is the later. Nothing has changed. I went to similar places some 10-20 years later and saw the same desperation of women with my wife observing as well. The hubby's trapped their wives in the cesspool known as WNY. The wife's act out.
You sound like Beavis and Butthead!! Yeah, I "scored" back in the 90's with a bunch of burned out housewives!! Yeah cool.. huh huh huh

You're proud of that?

You sound like a typical downstater. I've been in Long Island for 13 years and believe me after the hurricane I am soooooooooooooo ready to move back to WNY!! I would take the so-called boring monotony of WNY any day over the traffic, poor infrastructure, succeptibility to storms (that many other places could of easily handled without civilization breaking down) and most of all the horrible, nasty evil people here in Long Island.

Bring on those burned out broads!!!! LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
You sound like Beavis and Butthead!! Yeah, I "scored" back in the 90's with a bunch of burned out housewives!! Yeah cool.. huh huh huh

You're proud of that?

You sound like a typical downstater. I've been in Long Island for 13 years and believe me after the hurricane I am soooooooooooooo ready to move back to WNY!! I would take the so-called boring monotony of WNY any day over the traffic, poor infrastructure, succeptibility to storms (that many other places could of easily handled without civilization breaking down) and most of all the horrible, nasty evil people here in Long Island.

Bring on those burned out broads!!!! LOL!!!
Considering I was a UB student in the early 90's, such encounters were considered a badge of honor. Would it of been better if I said some Freshman I had met a PJ Bottom's puked in my dorm room ? Is that something to be proud of ? Sheesh. Admittedly, the South Campus I remember from 20 years ago was way safer and livelier than today. Anacones on Bailey was safe to walk to and they had the best beef on wecks before they closed down a few years ago from Eastside Gangbangers robbing the place at gunpoint. Owner Mark Anacone had enough and sadly shut his doors despite it being a profitable cash cow with loyal customers. South Campus in general is becoming very ghetto (even southern Amherst and Tonawanda in the Kenmore Ave NFB corridor). North Campus near Amherst is very sterile.

I'd recommend Albany or Binghamton for state school academics and safety at this point.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:

I'd recommend Albany or Binghamton for state school academics and safety at this point.
A quick look at the ratings: (Overall, Quality, Safety)
Buffalo - 4-1/2 Stars (out of 5), 5 Stars, C- for Safety
Albany - 4 Stars, 5 Stars, D-
Binghamton - 4 Stars, 5 Stars, D-
Stony Brook - 4-1/2 Stars, 5 Stars, D
Hunter College - 4-1/2 Stars, 4-1/2 Stars, B

A look at nearby private schools:
U of Rochester - 4-1/2 Stars, 5 Stars, F for Safety
Syracuse U - 4 Stars, 5 Stars, F
Cornell - 5 Stars, 5 Stars, D

New York Colleges and Universities | American School Search

Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Maybe I'm old school, but dating (or screwing)married women is not something to be proud of.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,713,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Maybe I'm old school, but dating (or screwing)married women is not something to be proud of.
Quite sure you engaged in some less than perfect scenarios when you were 20. Get off your high horse ! Anyhow, I am quite familiar with Binghamton and can tell you Binghamton is safer than UB South Campus by a country mile. Bing is in Vestal which is where the Broome County upper middle class and professionals live. Mostly strip malls just like near UB North Campus. Bing is a boring town with limited social activities granted. However, it's 2 1/2 hours from NYC and Philly for weekend getaways along with cheap rentals.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM

341 posts, read 683,944 times
Quote:
Another thing IT GUY, I will give you the moral fabric of middle aged women in Buffalo. I am middle aged now so I can see through the mind of one of that age. When I was at UB in the early 90's, my action was not primarily PJ Bottoms or 3rd Base on Main St. It was The Marriot on Tuesday Night ladies night ! We all called it "The Married Rot". Women twice my age took their rings off in unhappy marriages hoping to get some action. It was easy pickings. Even at Jack's Place that was known as an off duty Amherst Cop hangout next door, I scored with the wife of a high ranking Erie County cop at that time. Is it that the men are lame or are the women so BORED with living in such a cesspool known as WNY that they stray to break up the monotony of their lives ? I think the answer is the later. Nothing has changed. I went to similar places some 10-20 years later and saw the same desperation of women with my wife observing as well. The hubby's trapped their wives in the cesspool known as WNY. The wife's act out.
Shockingly, I've found the same in DFW, Houston, Chicago, Phoenix, Tampa, ad nauseum.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 AM

120 posts, read 265,101 times
I love Buffalo (and obviously Toronto, but $900 for a tiny studio is a bit much). Buffalo is similar to my grandparents home of Duluth, Minnesota; the westernmost city on the Great Lakes with a population of just over 150,000 (metro) dotted along the Lake Superior shoreline. The weather, however, sucks. Not much snow lately, but I do remember the record 136" in 1995-96. Halloween snowstorm of 38" was a shock one year.

One thing I was wondering is, with Buffalo (and I'll use Duluth for example) there are five colleges/universities in Duluth; with it being 165 miles north of Minneapolis/St Paul it's perfect distance for many students, but for a dating life, after age 25 - good luck. Everyone has kids, is already married or both. There are virtually no single childless adults. One more thing/question: I LOVED downtown Buffalo when I spent the night (I flew out the next day and stayed at Hostel Buffalo, had a really cool view of the 'Buffalo' sign of that theatre on Main St)...do many people live around the Main St/Chippewa area? I know it's the entertainment district, but is it an attractive place to live? I'm big on having a gym within walking distance; is there a popular gym or Y in downtown Buffalo?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
To be honest, I am saddened by the lack of snowfall in recent years. I remember having so much fun as a kid out in the snow. I'd love to take my own children out to do winter activities and snow-related stuff but all I have is cold and wet grass or partially frozen ground. Bleeecchhh. Not to many people presently live in that area, but the nearby streets such as Trinity, Virginia, Edward, etc., are all seeing some gentrification. I think the BAC has a nearby location just past city hall and Delaware Circle right on Delaware.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:44 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
BAC is at 69 Delaware. It has a website.

Buffalo Athletic Club - Downtown Location - Western New York

Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalMan View Post
The only larger "Taste Of" turnout is in Chicago out of all the ones in the country. Check the stats. Sure NYC offers better cardboard slices of pizza with vastly more places to eat and upscale service, however, for taste quality, if you compare Buffalo's food quality by how well it sits on a person's palate, there is no real competition besides Chicago. Buffalo, ethnic cuisine taster better then other places even if other places have more options. The only possible triumph would be Baltimore's seafood or perhaps Seattle's. Other then that no go. Price, quantity, quality, selection accessibility to eateries and variety is the best here. In addition, Ted's Mighty Taco and crap like that are junk foods and don't deserve to be mentioned among Buffalo cuisine.
you need to go to NYC and SF! ... Or your taste in food may run a bit more "blue collar" ? eating cheap tasty on a budget may be okay for you but for some of us we just don't do dairy wheat meat and are outta luck here for the most part so Buffalo's er, "cuisine" is a non event. .. or it's a cliche..ie wings and weck...oy enough already people ..haven't these been talked to death already? the best thing about buffalo is its "character" ..and Wegmans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area