Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister k View Post
Buffalo NY. Yes it has rightly earned the term "The Armpit of the USA"....and sadly I was born an raised there. I left there 15 years ago to move to Colorado and never will return. The weather sucked and the good jobs are all gone..and it's over run with welfare users. The only business left there are bars and restaurants. Bars are open until 4 AM! Whats that tell ya?

Sports teams? a total let-down...totally pathetic.

There are four seasons in Buffalo. Winter, Winter, Winter and road construction. I rather be in Alaska..at least ya got some nice views in Alaska.

The only good thing from Buffalo was the introduction of Chicken Wings and the famous hot sauce. That's it.

If you like to wear thermal underwear all year round, get drunk and collect welfare, Buffalo is the place to be.
I find it interesting that somebody who's been living in Colorado for fifteen years is complaining about how cold it is Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM

223 posts, read 732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I find it interesting that somebody who's been living in Colorado for fifteen years is complaining about how cold it is Buffalo.

Yea, not sure why all the Buffalo hate 15 years later!! Maybe they can't get good wings in CO?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 AM

90 posts, read 140,874 times
CO winters are a cake walk compared to Buffalo ones. We have sun 300+ days a year and when it snows it melts in 2 days or so. We get thaws quite often and at high elevations a 40 degree day and 5% humidity it is sweatshirt weather.

I do not HATE Buffalo, there just wasn't anything there to suit me (esp jobs, economy and housing) I decided to leave when all the big factories started laying off and shutting down. I found much of downtown Buffalo going to crap fast.

I found CO and AZ much more appealing to me at so many levels.

And yes no one knows how to make real Buffalo wings here. I make them at home.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
CO winters are a cake walk compared to Buffalo ones. We have sun 300+ days a year and when it snows it melts in 2 days or so. We get thaws quite often and at high elevations a 40 degree day and 5% humidity it is sweatshirt weather.

I do not HATE Buffalo, there just wasn't anything there to suit me (esp jobs, economy and housing) I decided to leave when all the big factories started laying off and shutting down. I found much of downtown Buffalo going to crap fast.

I found CO and AZ much more appealing to me at so many levels.

And yes no one knows how to make real Buffalo wings here. I make them at home.
Well, you seemed to be jumping on the same "Buffalo sucks" bandwagon that the poster before you was pulling.

Climate is a very subjective thing. I can't deal with the combo of extreme heat and sunshine because I want to be out in the sunshine but the heat and hot wind do me in.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM

719 posts, read 1,552,899 times
Quote:
Buffalo NY. Yes it has rightly earned the term "The Armpit of the USA"....and sadly I was born an raised there. I left there 15 years ago to move to Colorado and never will return. The weather sucked and the good jobs are all gone..and it's over run with welfare users. The only business left there are bars and restaurants. Bars are open until 4 AM! Whats that tell ya?

Sports teams? a total let-down...totally pathetic.

There are four seasons in Buffalo. Winter, Winter, Winter and road construction. I rather be in Alaska..at least ya got some nice views in Alaska.

The only good thing from Buffalo was the introduction of Chicken Wings and the famous hot sauce. That's it.

If you like to wear thermal underwear all year round, get drunk and collect welfare, Buffalo is the place to be.
You nailed it Mister K! Spot on post. I'm nodding in agreement while sitting here eating my wings, wearing my thermal underwear, and laughing at the cheerful nut-case in shorts and t-shirt that just walked through my exceptionally affordable and safe neighborhood wearing a Sabres hat. He must be on welfare since it's the middle of the day! And totally drunk to be smiling while living in the armpit of the world!
What is wrong with these wacko's in WNY?? Why just the other day I saw a family of 4 having dinner at a nice restaurant and thought to myself, this whole city is on welfare, how can they afford this? They obviously don't have a job. Cheating the system I presume.
Here is another one that'll throw you for a loop - my neighbor leaves the house AND DOESN'T LOCK THE DOOR!!! Just goes to show you what stupid drunk idiots we have around here. She tells me she hasn't locked her doors in 15 yrs and never had a problem.
Totally pathetic indeed.
Sarcastically yours,
Big D Buffalo Hater

Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM

90 posts, read 140,874 times
LOL! don't take things so seriously folks..but yes I do have to say the CITY of Buffalo sucks. And BTW, it's just an opinion.

Now outside of Buffalo is quite nice. Get 40-60 miles south, east or west and it's better...but the City of Buff? not good at all.

I grew up in the German east side of Buffalo, Shiller Park to be specific. Whats that like now? Total INVASION I would bet. A major ghetto.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:20 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,954 times
Funny, I live in the CITY of Buffalo, I don't think it sucks.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:00 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think he is trying to convince himself that she/he hate Colorado. I can understand if someone has to move for a job, family reasons or just can't take the cold, but to degrade another community after 15 years makes me suspect of their intelligence or committment to their new area. I respect those who provide constructive criticism, new ideas or suggestions, but people like mister k should be ignored.

I graduated from SUNY Buffalo (undergrad and graduate school) and now live in Florida (no paradise by any measure) for work reasons, but I have fond memories of Buffalo and visit from time to time for alumni functions. I am amazed at what Buffalo is trying to do, it is a great city, with a lot of character, that is trying to transform itself. Given an good opporunity, I would move back to Buffalo.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM

18 posts, read 55,612 times
Glad to see this thread still getting some activity after a year of my absence.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 AM

18 posts, read 55,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
UniversalMan or any other locals, could you tell me about the area around The Lofts at Elks Terminal, I am unfamiliar with Buffalo and all I know is the apartments do look nice, and it’s close to the Sabers arena (which would be cool, being a big hockey fan) being from Brooklyn & Queens prior to moving to Brooklyn, I am also used to not needing a car, I would imagine like almost all places outside of NYC, that having a car is more needed, but is it doable to pull off? One less expense is always a good thing.

Also would anyone know of apartments similar to Elks Terminal that I could look into and compare?

Thanks.
Well, they are a pretty nice option for living in downtown Buffalo and yes, you would be right near the First Niagara Center. However, you will also be right around the corner from a housing project named the Perry Projects. For me, this wouldn't be a bother, however, it may be something to consider if crime in a housing project communities concerns you. From what I gather, most of the people who live in the terminals don't have many crime related problems. Also, as was mentioned, being that the rail can take you directly to the games downtown, from many other areas, there are still a a number of options of loft living and one is Ellicott Lofts downtown. Little safer, closer to Chippewa and still very close to the games. You could easily walk to games if you wanted from both locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area