Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM

35 posts, read 54,402 times

Advertisements

America overall is a very rude nation and has been for quite some time now. Nobody gives a damn about anybody anymore. The younger generation is lost on proper social interaction and manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 PM

56 posts, read 112,851 times
Hi Urbanplanner, great to hear! Born and raised in Niagara Falls, moved away long ago and am now seriously considering moving back to western NY, near family. Thanks for the great input! I am weighing pros and cons. Am getting really tired of the heat and dread hurricane season! This helps!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM

33 posts, read 79,907 times
Well, we will shortly be residents of WNY, and I've been bragging to anyone that will listen just how friendly I think the people of Buffalo and the surrounding areas are. There so much crap thats toted around as news these days, and unfortunately people believe what they read, even a foolish article with questionable basis.
..... And who knows.......maybe the word was being used in a most loving way, like " You're amazing, I'd like to bleepidy bleep you." and not the way as it's portrayed in the "study." Just proving that the city of Buffalo is actually more loving. ; )

Old 09-04-2012, 07:12 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoggin View Post
America overall is a very rude nation and has been for quite some time now. Nobody gives a damn about anybody anymore. The younger generation is lost on proper social interaction and manners.
Definitely. I personally try not to hold NY'ers to a standard but down in Jamestown I often joke that when I go back, I am scared to wave at people for fear they might take it as some sort of obscene gesture.

Over here in Maine the people are generally more exclusive (depending on where you go) but much more friendly at the same time.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,302 times
I have found that basically anytime the Brits try to do a study of America, it's total crap (and visa versa). I'm sort of amazed given how much we share culturally that we seriously have no clue about the other.

I live in DC now and really miss the friendliness of WNY.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:24 PM

29 posts, read 60,847 times
Ha, I can say with immature certainty that "f+++ you" can be said in a totally loving, friendly, supportive way. "You make HOW MUCH after you got that new position? F+++ you, man!" - My friend would know this is a joking way of revealing my jealousy over his new cash and that I am proud of him for getting a better job than me, lol. B-lo, land of the folks keepin' it real!

On a serious note, it is a complex issue to judge "friendliness." For instance, are you considering a lack of manners "unfriendly?" What cultural background do those manners come from (things like body language, eye contact, etc. change significantly from culture to culture)? Is someone who doesn't nod on the street when you make eye contact "unfriendly" or do they need to kick your dog and run off with your mini-bike before you make that call? I think trying to generalize groups of humans as anything based on one thing they share - skin color, dress style, gender, job type, city of residence - is silly and pointless. You will always have really nice people, d-bags and those in between regardless of where you are; there are SO many factors that go into how people judge others behavior that it is impossible to make some sort of sweeping statement about what area is the "friendliest." Perception is SO subjective.

Last edited by vienluna; 09-13-2012 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: grammatical error

Old 09-16-2012, 03:02 PM

120 posts, read 265,101 times
I'm going to tell a little story about Buffalo for what it's worth. I had to fly to Duluth, Minnesota last May and had to fly through Buffalo, at 7am. So I take the bus from Toronto to DT Buffalo (where I've never been at night) and planned to stay in a Hostel on Main St. I get there at 11pm and surprise - the place is closed and locked up. So there I am with my bags, freaking out because I have no idea what this city is like and I'm not seeing anyone at all. So I see a police car and walk up, explain what's going on and basically wondering what I do now. This officer was so helpful and was even going to drop me off at the Best Western to make sure I got there. I run marathons, and after he said it only a few blocks or more I thanked him for being so helpful and walked on over. Never in my life has anyone - not a police officer - gone out of his way to check to make sure the hotel had a room (prom weekend) and everything. Buffalo scores major points in my book.

The rudest city I've encountered has got to be Minneapolis. Too many Fortune 500 companies with too many silver spooned MBA's who want to make as much money no matter who they step on to get it, people who are only your friends until you lose your job and high-powered connections, etc...there's something to be said for a more laid back city without so much competitive affluence. I mean, I'm no expert but my impression of Buffalo as a city is 'this is it, take it or leave it' where places like Minneapolis are so focused on looks, talent, money, 'new-ness' that nobody even looks at anyone because they can't be bothered by anyone who isn't going to do something to help them get ahead.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:54 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
So sorry you had the trouble on that hostel. I ran into kids from Europe ( Germany and Switzerland) on Amtrak who were going to Niagara Falls and Buffalo and were going to be staying in that hostel -- it was well known in Europe -- they told me it was ranked #1 in this country at the time -- 10 years ago. [They had been given wrong directions for the train and were being put off in Depew, not downtown. I helped them get the the bus to the city; at that time, the stationmaster called NFTA and the next #6 would come into the train station to get any passengers]. I believe they lock the doors about 10pm.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM

115 posts, read 190,461 times
Rude no way far from the truth. popeye 4 arms from shoveling the snow that's another topic.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:50 PM

18 posts, read 36,306 times
lol..its true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area