Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 9,989 times

Advertisements

My husband is from the Buffalo area, Tonawanda, I am a PA native. We lived in Tonawanda for yrs before moving to Keller, TX, near Ft Worth, TX. I find the people in this area of TX to be very friendly. On a recent visit back to the Buffalo area, I did notice that many people were very unfriendly. Something that I only noticed after I moved away and returned for a visit. We cannot afford the high taxes in NY state on retirement, that is why we moved to TX. Cheaper living here than NY state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:25 PM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone45 View Post
My husband is from the Buffalo area, Tonawanda, I am a PA native. We lived in Tonawanda for yrs before moving to Keller, TX, near Ft Worth, TX. I find the people in this area of TX to be very friendly. On a recent visit back to the Buffalo area, I did notice that many people were very unfriendly. Something that I only noticed after I moved away and returned for a visit. We cannot afford the high taxes in NY state on retirement, that is why we moved to TX. Cheaper living here than NY state.
TX property taxes can be on par with property taxes in Upstate NY. No income tax makes the difference. Hence the relatively high property taxes for much of TX. Median home prices and tax exemptions in NY could be factors in terms of comparisons as well. Here is a great guide: https://www.retirementliving.com/tax...-wyoming#TEXAS

https://www.retirementliving.com/tax...yoming#NEWYORK

https://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state

Old 07-13-2013, 09:00 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,155 times
My brother is consider moving up from TN to NY. He says the property values in TN are so high that what you don't pay in taxes you make up for in mortgage interest (even if a portion is tax deductible).

Old 07-14-2013, 07:36 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
My brother is consider moving up from TN to NY. He says the property values in TN are so high that what you don't pay in taxes you make up for in mortgage interest (even if a portion is tax deductible).
That depends upon where you live, I think. In Middle Tennessee (Nashville) that's probably true. In East Tennessee (Knoxville), not nearly so much. I'm not sure about West Tennessee (Memphis).

I have friends who live near Greenville, TN. He's originally from Middle Tennessee, but they couldn't afford to buy there. They moved specifically to East Tennessee because the real estate prices were comparable to Jamestown's and the property taxes were much lower. I also think that state income tax is lower, too. However, Tennessee has an 8 or 9% sales tax on everything, including food and maybe prescription drugs.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,141 times
totally rude city, and clueless as to how not to be rude. Was talking with a sales clerk when another customer, female, barges right into our discussion with her question, as if I wasn't even there. I had to say, "Excuse me, the salesperson is helping another customer in case you didn't notice." She backed off and didn't even say excuse me or I'm sorry. That's the mentality here, rude and crude. The salesperson was ready to help her despite assisting me who was there first and involved answering my question. The salesperson should have said what I said to the rude customer who tried to cut in.Then the people here say they are "friendly." Totally clueless.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:37 PM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico789 View Post
totally rude city, and clueless as to how not to be rude. Was talking with a sales clerk when another customer, female, barges right into our discussion with her question, as if I wasn't even there. I had to say, "Excuse me, the salesperson is helping another customer in case you didn't notice." She backed off and didn't even say excuse me or I'm sorry. That's the mentality here, rude and crude. The salesperson was ready to help her despite assisting me who was there first and involved answering my question. The salesperson should have said what I said to the rude customer who tried to cut in.Then the people here say they are "friendly." Totally clueless.
Hit and run post.......

Old 05-14-2016, 12:42 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
They just built a new Wal-Mart on Sheridan Drive, not too far away from that Wegman's on Alberta Drive. You can imagine the kind of riff-raff that whole area attracts nowadays. From Wal-Mart... to Red Lobster... to Old Country Buffet, it's becoming a heaven for the welfare mamas and their illigitimate thugspawn. Same can be said about summer festivals in the city. The 4th of July celebration at Riverside Park was disrupted by hoodlums from all over the city. It was a complete chimpout, with mayhem breaking out during and after the fireworks. The Italian Festival is next. To be fair, it's not just them. Just go to any Bills game or Darien Lake concert and you will see the biggest concentration of white trash this side of the Mason-Dixon line. Drinking, fighting, cussing, screwing, you name it. Nothing's off limits with those losers!
Sadly I agree with you. I used to live in that area, and many things have been ruined. We went to the Italian Fest last summer, people were fist fighting, the police closed the event early. It's just ghetto behavior.

When I was a kid we used to look forward to walking up hertel, getting some food and listening to some live music. Demographics have changed, and people are not showing respect for themselves or their community.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:37 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Sadly I agree with you. I used to live in that area, and many things have been ruined. We went to the Italian Fest last summer, people were fist fighting, the police closed the event early. It's just ghetto behavior.

When I was a kid we used to look forward to walking up hertel, getting some food and listening to some live music. Demographics have changed, and people are not showing respect for themselves or their community.
If anything demographics along Hertel have gone upscale in the last couple of years. There are more people and cars on Hertel than I ever remember. Festivals do draw more young people, however, and teenagers will act stupid in large groups.

Buffalo has always been a drinking-and-fighting kind of town, probably going back to the Erie Canal days, maybe sooner. I have plenty of personal stories from the 70s and 80s, and have heard many others from the 50s and 60s as well from friends and family.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 459 times
I lived there for 50 years and it was only after I left that I realized how unfriendly Buffalonians are. ”Rude?” Yeah, that too.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:49 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McShane View Post
I lived there for 50 years and it was only after I left that I realized how unfriendly Buffalonians are. ”Rude?” Yeah, that too.
I have had the total opposite experience since moving back to Buffalo. I checked with my family members from Texas, who were a little worried that people would treat them rudely because of their accents (as many Texans do to people with NY accents) when they moved here. Nope, all agree that people in Buffalo have been extremely friendly, outgoing, accepting, and helpful.

Most people here, though, won't put up with other people's BS. Expect to hear what's on their mind in those situations. If someone considers that rude, then it's on them for starting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area