Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg928 View Post
I grew up in Buffalo (North BUffalo and University Heights area), my husband grew up on the west side. Do not send your child to a Buffalo Public School. We love the city, but we have to live in the suburbs because the school system is so poor. Oh, North Buffalo is not a safe area. There is not a safe area anymore. Buffalo was just ranked 3rd worst city in the ENTIRE COUNTRY for business. We're leaving next year.
don't move to pittsburgh, i did, it is so much worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 PM

41 posts, read 121,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
don't move to pittsburgh, i did, it is so much worse!
We're joining the rest of Wny down south

Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM

491 posts, read 1,433,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg928 View Post
We're joining the rest of Wny down south
i heard that is even worse. but i dunno.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 AM

4 posts, read 25,791 times
Default Amherst

Most of these posts were a few months ago, so I don't know if you are still looking for advice or not, but I grew up in Amherst and loved it! My younger brother and I went to Windermere Elementary and the middle school, and my brother went to Amherst High School, and all of us had good experiences, not to mention excellent educations. It seemed that academics were stressed much more than athletics, which is pretty rare. We eventually moved because of my father's job, so my experiences are from the 90's, but our whole family loved the Buffalo area. I still go back occassionally to visit friends and still enjoy it. I am actually trying to talk my husband into moving back there--he wants to move to the Chicago area, but I would prefer Buffalo! Go Bills!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:16 AM

4 posts, read 25,791 times
Sorry, I think I might have replied to the wrong person! New at this

Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,499 times
So what did you ever decide? Is it the burbs or the city? We are all curious!!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM

11 posts, read 20,189 times
There is nothing like the Buffalo area and thank you Katan for the cheer for the Bills! I'm a die hard fan. I also have family down south and I often join them, for vacations that is and it is always, ALWAYS, nice to come home! I love our area and can't imagine living anywhere else. The people, the food, the activities, and did I mention THE PEOPLE? They are the best.

For school information try the NYS Education Department website at:
Welcome to the New York State Education Department

They are full of information including report cards on all of our schools. A quick search on their website for "Erie County" and heading Report Cards will bring up all the schools Accountability and Overview Report which includes; enrollments, average class size, demographic factors, attendance and suspensions, teacher qualifications, and staff counts. It also provides accountability results by accountability measure and performance on accountability measures. Accountability measures at the elementary/middle level are English language arts, mathematics, and science; at the secondary level, they are English language arts, mathematics, and graduation rate.

It also shows you a Comprehensive Information Report that includes; annual results on Regents examinations, Regents competency tests, second language proficiency examinations, New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Tests, elementary - and middle-level social studies tests, and New York State Alternate Assessments, as well as cohort performance results in social studies and science. The CIR also provides information on high school completers and non-completers and on post-secondary plans of graduates.

Here is the link for school districts in Erie County:
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?county=ERIE (broken link)

From there you can select your district and then select the school from within for your information.

CAugust, you mentioned a subway in Amherst????? Are you referring to Amherst NY? Because we don't have a subway here. Hum...

Katlan, if you end up on Chicago (but I'm voting for Buffalo), say hello to Oprah for me!

Last edited by tkern; 02-24-2008 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: add smiley

Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 PM

32 posts, read 72,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
i heard that is even worse. but i dunno.
I grew up in in Buffalo. We moved to the south in my last year of high school. I am now finishing up college...The south is terrible!!! (Alabama at least, Mississippi too...) Stay away.

There is no place like Buffalo. I love it.

As for the poster asking about schools...
I love Nichols. Yes, it is expensive but if you make the money it is well worth it. If not, don't try to send your children there. I hate to say it but the children who go there are very into how much money your family has. If you don't have it, you children will be treated no so nice. (IMO)

I like Williamsville as well. Great teachers, great area.

I went to Lakeshore. I loved it. I felt the education was great. and one thing I can say is that there is a huge emphasis on good grades and participation in extra curricular activities. We we in band, chorus and playing sports each season. It was just what the students did. I thought it was great. (It was not like that in the South.)

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:58 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,499 times
[quote=tkern;2933847]

CAugust, you mentioned a subway in Amherst????? Are you referring to Amherst NY? Because we don't have a subway here. Hum...
QUOTE]

I was referring to the transit in the city, if I remember correctly!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area