Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 AM

16 posts, read 84,467 times

Advertisements

A good chance to move to Buffalo area for my job,my family has always been my first priority, I learned from here that some good neighborhoods with good educational systems, my questions:
1. My son will go to senior high school (Gr.9-12) next year, we definitely want him to get the best education in the safest school, what area should we consider to buy a house? generally how much do I have to pay for?
2. If there are two high schools in the same area (same school board?), can we make the choice freely?
3. Is the public educational system in this area above the national average? or anybody can give me a general comparison of the education nationwide?
4. Somebody talked about sinking houses in these area, how do I know if the property has the problem, or will potentially have the problem?

Lots of questions, we have to make sure that we won't lose the most important part when we earn a tiny bit more. thanks.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:04 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,839,209 times
Talking buffalo schools etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgeneral View Post
A good chance to move to Buffalo area for my job,my family has always been my first priority, I learned from here that some good neighborhoods with good educational systems, my questions:
1. My son will go to senior high school (Gr.9-12) next year, we definitely want him to get the best education in the safest school, what area should we consider to buy a house? generally how much do I have to pay for?
2. If there are two high schools in the same area (same school board?), can we make the choice freely?
3. Is the public educational system in this area above the national average? or anybody can give me a general comparison of the education nationwide?
4. Somebody talked about sinking houses in these area, how do I know if the property has the problem, or will potentially have the problem?

Lots of questions, we have to make sure that we won't lose the most important part when we earn a tiny bit more. thanks.!
1) East Amherst for schools and safest community here, Williamsville shares the same schooling. Homes here range from 130k to 800k and more. East Amherst will be more than Williamsville - both are safe
2)Most of the time you can change the school, but I beleive North is closed to open enrollment. If you chose to open enroll your son in a h/s in the district that you are not districted to go to, you need to provide transportation. East HS is probably ranked #1, and their are two others, South HS - more traditional, ( i will be open enrolling my own son in soon), and North HS. They are all within probably 5 miles of each other.
3)Definately the areas I gave you are above average - the best in WNY
Business First puts a list together
Buffalo NY News Business First's 13th Annual List of Best School Districts in WNY is Realeased
Williamsville tops the school rankings again - Business First of Buffalo:
Do not confuse East Amherst with Amherst - East Amherst is in the Williamsville School District.
4) Yes, there was a problem a few years back, not everyone was affected. My home had no problems at all, and I know many folks who also had no problems, you just need to stay away from those homes and areas.

Get a good agent, someone who knows the area and welcome to the neighborhood!!!!
Colleen

Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM

16 posts, read 84,467 times
Very useful info. Thanks a lot.
I'm sure I'll have more questions once I accept the offer from the company

Old 10-06-2007, 04:57 PM

58 posts, read 323,801 times
I would hope that if you were relocating to Buffalo for your job, you'd live in the city. Too many people flock to the suburbs and then complain that the city isn't vibrant enough, rich enough ect. You can get a nice house in North Buffalo (very safe neighborhood) for around 150k (also cheaper than Amherst). Your kids will appreciate living in an area with character (not the cookie cutter chain stores you'll find in Amherst), where you can catch a Sabres game, go to the theatre, or other cultural institutions with ease. Plus, your kids will be able to travel more freely using the subway, which does not go into Amherst, but runs up Main Street from the waterfront, through downtown, Allentown, North Buffalo, and ends at UB's South Campus.

I don't have children, so I don't know what schools are best, though I do know that the public school system hasn't gotten rave reviews. You might try sending your kids to private school instead (and since housing is so affordable in Buffalo, paying for tuition probably wouldn't be much of a struggle).

Old 10-06-2007, 05:15 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,839,209 times
I also love the city, but private good schooling, like nichols or park or nardin or st joes or canisus can get pretty expensive - many are over 8k a child, for me, that would mean 24k a year, plus my taxes (even though they are lower in the city). I live in the burbs, love it and if we want to go to the city, and we do, we either park and take the subway in amherst or just drive on down and walk around. If their move depends on schooling and they dont want to pay for private, Its the burbs hands down.

And, really, no one can put their kids on the transit alone anymore, not here anyway.

Nothing against the city at all - LOVE IT - go ice skating in the winter, sheas all the time, zoo, etc etc - its just that schooling is so important these days, it is a hard move to justify moving into the city itself

Colleen

Old 10-06-2007, 08:40 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,754,470 times
I beg to differ w/Colleen on just sticking to Amherst/Wmsville/EAmherst/Clarence. I live on the Lancaster/Alden border. Houses cost less, the districts have good schools and taxes are very reasonable. [We are south of Clarence.]

If you did opt for the city, north Buffalo is lovely and if the kids are really bright, City Honors might take them... it has had national rankings for years. There is a large influx in grade 9, so it'd be a good time to try. it is by entrance exam, btw. (I taught in the system; wouldn't send a kid to any other school in Buffalo for hs)
There are lots more private parochial and christian schools here that are lower cost HS than the ones mentioned ( they are tops), but private ones like Nichols give scholarships and tend to lead to top colleges.

If you are worried about the sinking homes, you don't buy in a swamp, on top of the old gypsum mines or in a flood plain. That is where this occurs. The US Army Corps of Engineers can tell you where the lot/ house is not likely to have problems, may have problems, or will have problems.

I am no realtor; I just watch what goes on in the community!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:28 PM

39 posts, read 175,501 times
Default Comparing schools

The best place I have found to compare schools in an area is bestschools<dot>net. You can type in the city and state and it will give you a list of schools. You can break it down by Elem, Middle, and High schools and a majority of the schools are ranked by the site, giving info about test scores, stud teacher ratio, spending per pupil, etc. You can also compare schools in the area, but I have found that they don't always have a ranking for private schools. But if parents have rated a school, you'll see an area where you can read their comments. However, keep in mind that people rarely contribute anything unless they have something to complain about, sad but usually true. I know the test scores show comparison to state average, but not sure about national.

If you find a house you are interested in, I would suggest calling either the local police or county for safety info...they'll have the low down. Just be sure you use their local number and not the emergency one...but that's just common sense.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:46 PM

I know our police will give out the info for arrests and calls in an area. However, you have to go and pick up the sheets. You might not get so lucky if the area is serviced by state troopers.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Mommy:
looked at your schools website and got lots of msnbc and college stuff, not public districts. Are you sure that is the link?

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 10-07-2007 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 PM

41 posts, read 120,326 times
I grew up in Buffalo (North BUffalo and University Heights area), my husband grew up on the west side. Do not send your child to a Buffalo Public School. We love the city, but we have to live in the suburbs because the school system is so poor. Oh, North Buffalo is not a safe area. There is not a safe area anymore. Buffalo was just ranked 3rd worst city in the ENTIRE COUNTRY for business. We're leaving next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area