Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,330 times

Advertisements

My husband currently works for a company based in Hamilton, Ontario out of his home-office in Los Angeles. We plan to relocate to New York State so that he can spend two days per week in the Hamilton office (and the rest of the week, again, in a home office). We are 50-ish empty-nesters who want to be able to walk to coffee, restaurants, shops and movies. We want a safe community where our house will hold its value (location, location, location) (I would expect us to sell this house and leave upstate NY in 5 to 7 years) -- so even though we don't have children, a good-school town is always attractive.

While living in western Buffalo would minimize his commute, we would be willing to be farther east to find the perfect (charming!) location -- proximity to a wine area would be a plus, although I figure the finger lakes are too far. Avoiding the most snow-prone areas is also a plus. Your thoughts? Many thanks!

(By the way, I was born in Syracuse and still have a mother there -- so I am familiar with upstate New York.)
Thanks ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 AM

719 posts, read 1,547,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsline View Post
My husband currently works for a company based in Hamilton, Ontario out of his home-office in Los Angeles. We plan to relocate to New York State so that he can spend two days per week in the Hamilton office (and the rest of the week, again, in a home office). We are 50-ish empty-nesters who want to be able to walk to coffee, restaurants, shops and movies. We want a safe community where our house will hold its value (location, location, location) (I would expect us to sell this house and leave upstate NY in 5 to 7 years) -- so even though we don't have children, a good-school town is always attractive.

While living in western Buffalo would minimize his commute, we would be willing to be farther east to find the perfect (charming!) location -- proximity to a wine area would be a plus, although I figure the finger lakes are too far. Avoiding the most snow-prone areas is also a plus. Your thoughts? Many thanks!

(By the way, I was born in Syracuse and still have a mother there -- so I am familiar with upstate New York.)
Thanks ~
Wow, that is going to be one heck of a commute 2x a week. I feel bad for your hubby!
I would go ahead and rule out anything even close to Rochester (2hr+ commute each way) and anything south of Buffalo. (1hr 30 min at min)
Avoiding snow prone areas actually works with where I'd advise you look: Lewiston NY.
Lewiston is the closest town to Hamilton Ont and is so pretty has beautiful and stable housing market. Bonus: Lewiston gets less snow that almost any other part of WNY.
Lewiston is right by the bridge to Canada and I believe it's also the least congested on the bridge crossings.
Historic Lewiston, NY
Given the Hamilton Ont commute, I strongly suggest you start with Lewiston as the center of your search.

Best of luck!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 PM

280 posts, read 672,524 times
For that commute, it's hard to recommend anything other than Lewiston. For wineries, there is the Niagara Wine Trail on the US side plus more on the Canadian side.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM

92,328 posts, read 122,573,532 times
Yup, pretty much Lewiston or town of Porter/village of Youngstown. Niagara County gets less snow, as a previous poster mentioned. If you don't mind an urban neighborhood, Deveaux is a nice Niagara Falls neighborhood next to Lewiston: Niagara Falls, NY: DeVeaux - SkyscraperPage Forum Think along the lines of Scottholm /Bradford Hills in Syracuse.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 PM

879 posts, read 1,622,450 times
what ckhthankgod said. 5-7 years is a short time to buy, you'll get killed on commission. Why not rent?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 AM

92,328 posts, read 122,573,532 times
LaSalle is another Niagara Falls neighborhood that may work. It is in line with the Eastwood neighborhood in Syracuse and is close to shopping in the town of Niagara: Niagara Falls, NY: La Salle, Cayuga Island, Love Canal - SkyscraperPage Forum

https://sites.google.com/a/lasallepride.org/www/

Hyde Park may be another urban neighborhood to look into as well. Niagara Falls City Government HydePark

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-04-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area