Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which small business do you think would be good in Buffalo
organic health food store 3 42.86%
Thrift store 2 28.57%
consignment shop 2 28.57%
Antique shop 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 PM

323 posts, read 1,790,881 times

Advertisements

In your opinion what type of small, start up businesses can one do reasonably well in, within the city of Buffalo and please do not suggest Pizza parlours! LOL
Name any ideas you have that you think would appeal to the Buffalo community or something you think is needed in the Buffalo community.
Thank you

Maybe I should have said: What small business ideas do you think would work in the Buffalo area ?

Last edited by energygrrl; 09-25-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 AM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
energygrrl, I always trying to preferably do business with Buffalo. So every time I drive out to the burbs to shop I think, I wish this business were in Buffalo. However, I shop infrequently. The one advantage to shopping in the burbs is all those strip malls / plazas don't have to clutter my everyday landscape. I have seen each of the shop choices listed shutter in the past few years so I don't know that "needing" a business is the right approach.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 AM

genoobie,
Thanks for your response.
I actually have an ulterior motive for asking. I wanted to start a business and be self employed. It is time.. ya know.
I am asking friends, family and yes complete strangers for ideas, inputs, opinions and since I will be returning to the Buffalo market I do not want to start something that ultimately will not appeal to the Buffalo market.
But I really need to do something different than what i have been doing and I want to stay home( which is Buffalo) .Thought I was going to move out of town or state but my family is here and hence I will be as well.
Thanks again!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM

252 posts, read 649,693 times
Do something that you have a particular passion for. You will not be able to sustain your energy during the downswings otherwise. If you wouldn't be interested in it as a hobby, don't make it the main focus of your life as your business.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Another source of information and feedback could be to meet up with like-minded people.
These groups usually schedule get togethers. Might be able find one that you find interesting

Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup

Old 09-29-2012, 08:48 AM

Thanks Marc!
I love meetup groups and yes, will try this and also have in mind to contact:
score as well as the Small Business Association and was thinking of contacting a business coach and having a session or two. So if anyone knows of anyone , I am open.
There is also a 4T affirmative prayer group that may be an asset to me to give me the faith and confidence I need.
My nephew suggested going to Real Estate school with him and I am most defintely open to that as a possibility.
In terms of passion it is alternative medicine, reiki, reflexology, acupuncture and nutrition for well being.
I know Buffalo is starting to become more open to this and there are places opening up.
I have my own massage table, needles for acupuncture etc and usually have done this Pro Bono for friends but never for payment.
I think this will have to go on the back burner only because I may starve to death while trying to make this happen.
I am in NYC currently and its funny (not as in hahah) but many Asian type stores have these areas in the back (all on the up and up, but I do not think they are licensed) that have acupuncture, massage and reflexology. After experiencing them I would have to say that they are the best and most theraputic massages I have ever received and would rather go there than some high end Spa.
The other thing they have here in NYC which I LOVE is Russian Baths, Spa, organic juice Bar, Hot suanas (like 190 degree) and cold showers and pools, as well as jacuzzi. They also offer massage etc.
Its 30.00 for the day! And massage etc is extra.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Oh yes, the other thing is : LOCATION. I inherited a home in S.Bflo, but you know, I am just not feeling it!
I need to choose a location within the city of Buffalo.
Elmwood/Allentown is just too pricey.
Blackrock is up and coming.
Grant street and lafayette area is looking good.
Forget East side.
North Buffalo is charming.
I just do not think what I have in mind would appeal to South Buffalo. Although I could be wrong but I have noticed that everyone who has tried in this area with the above ideas have gone out of business.
I am also think Estate Sales. My EX has over 40 hrs of pricing and actively involved in this type of business along with Antiques, Buying Storage units etc. He is offering to assist.
I may be able to put it all together on some level.
Just ideas...

Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,348 times
If doing the organic idea with a spa, I would go more towards the suberbs (Depew, Lancaster, clarence, amherst). Ideally if you had the funds, I'd put a place in the Galleria Mall. Out of all those options I think the organic way is the best. I do agree with the person that said you have to have passion. I started a tanning place and had to sell it(Thankfully before NYS banned under 18) because I hated it, I now opened a Cafe / Bakery and I love getting up and working the long hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area