Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:03 AM

47 posts, read 89,740 times

Advertisements

So.... I said all that about safety... and last night did a mega research project on crime in Buffalo over the last two years... .... I am dumbfounded and really speechless. I remember knowing that if you knew the wrong people and hung out in the wrong places - watch out.. and I also remember a few friends of mine getting too close. I remember listening to my gut a lot... especially as a young woman. I remember alcohol getting me into trouble and I stopped after a few months of bar hoping. I also walked on the East side about twice and saw houses that stunned me and people that just did not seem happy... felt some fear and sad hearts. I felt a wee bit on the West side, but it was always so much - just keep with the right flow of energy and everything will be okay... I read some numbers and saw some news report that have me really, really, really freaked out. It seems like the most innocent shootings I have ever heard about happened on the West side - like not involved at all. Can anyone explain this to me? Is this a gang situation? The only thing my mind can think of is someone was a bad energy and made a mistake, bullets flew and hit the wrong people. The other thing that scares me so much - is that people are doing these things to achieve gang status.

Can anyone fill me in?

I saw stories about other shootings that happened in places that seemed very sad, but also..well..just not planning on happening again.. like City Grill and the hospital. The other ones on the West side just seem.. IDK.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM

252 posts, read 649,993 times
There have been a few well-publicized random/accidental shootings, but I believe strongly that the vast majority of violent crime is criminal vs criminal. If you're not getting involved in drug deals with shady people, you aren't likely to have a problem.

I don't know when you last lived in Buffalo, but I would be willing to put money on the violent crime rate being lower now than it was back then. Nationally, violent crime is now down to its lowest level since the '60s. It may not always feel that way because of the 24/7 fear-driven news media, but the statistics are what they are.

Also, while random violent crime is scary, every other day I read about a lethal car crash somewhere in the greater Buffalo metropolitan area. That is the sort of random violence that is much more likely to happen to you. There was a study done not long ago that combined the risks of violent crime and traffic injury and found that it is overall safer to live in the inner city than in the far-flung exurbs. I don't recall which cities the study covered, or if it was a national average, but it is surely food for thought.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post
There have been a few well-publicized random/accidental shootings, but I believe strongly that the vast majority of violent crime is criminal vs criminal. If you're not getting involved in drug deals with shady people, you aren't likely to have a problem.

I don't know when you last lived in Buffalo, but I would be willing to put money on the violent crime rate being lower now than it was back then. Nationally, violent crime is now down to its lowest level since the '60s. It may not always feel that way because of the 24/7 fear-driven news media, but the statistics are what they are.

Also, while random violent crime is scary, every other day I read about a lethal car crash somewhere in the greater Buffalo metropolitan area. That is the sort of random violence that is much more likely to happen to you. There was a study done not long ago that combined the risks of violent crime and traffic injury and found that it is overall safer to live in the inner city than in the far-flung exurbs. I don't recall which cities the study covered, or if it was a national average, but it is surely food for thought.
Here's more on that: Death rates from guns, traffic accidents converging

General health - The 25 Most Common Causes of Death - MedHelp

Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Just like the east side, the lower west side is mostly gang-on-gang. Gang-on-gang isn't random. Plus, the media hype it to get more news.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 AM

47 posts, read 89,740 times
Thank you..That makes me feel a lot better. Still very sad about that. I also read a list that Buffalo was on.. I have been to Oakland which was on the list and I was not scared. Parts of Oakland that I am not aware of I may have seen, but the few days we were there to save on a stay in San Fran and then ride the Coastal Starlight..I actually thought the city was kind of wild and fun.

I found a great affordable place for my income on lower Delaware Ave from 1997-2000... There were a few places that I stayed in before and after with a friend, etc.. But I mostly lived on my own the whole time there until the building was sold to a new owner and they renovated. Then I moved to the West Side and soon after decided to move in with my husband. He lived on Main St very near downtown. I worked Downtown and went to school too. I remember it being bustling during the day and at night to just be careful.

Traffic health is something I have looked at buying a country home for sure! It isn't that we commute a ton, but the wildlife in the road and distance from a bigger hospital.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 19,607 times
In my experience, I used to live in the Grant Ferry area and all of the murders within ear shot, were drug related or domestic. I do remember reading about some violent home invasions, one on West Delevan, I do believe that was an anomaly. Knowing people who were killed and shot on the West side, many times the surviving victims are too afraid to say who did it out of fear of retaliation so they claim it was "random". Some of my family still lives in Grant Ferry and the few trouble makers on their block are slowly leaving in place of immigrants. Pretty much, keep to yourself know when not to go outside and you will be fine. My biggest complaint about the West Side is driving safety. You need to be alert, these people drive like they own the road and if you do get in an accident (fender bender since the speed limits are slow) it will likely be a hit and run, and these aren't the kind of people to chase.

Now I cannot drive through the East Side of Buffalo without fearing for my life.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM

879 posts, read 1,630,869 times
JSmith's assessment is more or less correct. The # of gun related homicides is outweighed by about a ratio of 1.5 to 1 for gun related suicides. Additionally, vehicle related deaths account for nearly 35K deaths per year. 60% of these are alcohol related and the majority of them are in states that have the greatest miles traveled (think Texas). The more miles you are on the road, the more likely you are to die in a car accident. I don't know how the stats correlate for "dangerous" neighborhoods (i.e. the more time you spend outside, the more likely you are to get shot). I would think that most criminals risk felony time for some end (i.e. not random murder but gang status / etc.). The number of deaths from vehicular accidents in Erie county is somewhere between 50 and 80 on a yearly basis. The population of Erie County is about 900,000,the population of Dallas-Fort Worth is about 2.5 million. There were about 300 fatalities which is about 4 times the number here, but the population is not four times as large. Reasons? Distances are larger thus speeds are greater = greater death. These deaths are mostly random. The greater number likely occurring in the evening after people have had a lot to drink.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:46 PM

400 posts, read 575,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo2016 View Post
Now I cannot drive through the East Side of Buffalo without fearing for my life.
I always wonder how someone driving through would be fearful of a neighborhood. What is so terrifying about the East Side to you?

When I first moved back to Buffalo many years ago I lived alone on the East Side to save money. I worked two jobs and most nights I would get out of my second job at 11 pm and my final bus would drop me off on Fillmore and Sycamore. I would have to walk along Fillmore towards William because I always missed the last bus. And only once in many years of doing this walk did I have a major problem. A CSX worker in a company truck thought it was a good idea to harass me thinking I was hooker because why else would a woman walk alone during the night on the East Side. I had this happen before with men pulling over but if I didn't respond to them they would just drive off, some would say sorry for bothering me. This guy was crazy though, he followed me for several blocks and I was terrified because the longer I ignored him the nastier the comments were, he was getting upset because I was not responding to his demands. That was the only time I truly feared for my safety but I pulled out my phone and started to dial 911 then he sped off. I never walked down Fillmore at night again. I walked side streets with no problems, everyone told me that was crazy but there was rarely any cars driving through other than those getting off work. Even now when I go visit family and friends over there I don't fear the area, LOTS of patrols now anyways.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 AM

232 posts, read 736,080 times
Default I know this isn't west side material but...

I have, for the past five years, wanted to make the leap and move over to New York. The two places I have really connected to are Niagara Falls and downtown Buffalo...however...as an outsider, I have been warned - like seriously warned 'what the hell are you thinking moving to Niagara Falls, NY?'...I actually went and visited and yes, it did give me pause. But there's only 40,000 people there...how can a city that small be plagued with gangs and a police force unable to stop it? I'd expect that from Chicago or Minneapolis, but not Niagara Falls. Is it really that bad? Or are you generally safe walking down the street there and going about your business?

As far as Buffalo goes, I've spent time downtown and stayed at that Hostel across from Shea's Theater (Hostel Buffalo...667 Main St). The only uneasiness I felt was after, say, 7pm, I saw nobody anywhere. You could roll a bowling ball down Main Street and not hit anything. Of course, this was around November 1st, so I'm guessing as summer arrives there's more of a street presence. I generally didn't feel unsafe downtown. However, as a gym rat and a single young guy, I was kind of surprised to see no gyms downtown - no YMCA, nothing. Where are the gyms!? I'd really like to live in a studio apartment on Main Street in the middle of the action, but a 'cheaper' studio is something I haven't seen. Anyone know stuff about downtown Buffalo housing that you can cue me in on?

Anyone who has lived in the area can you give me some real advice? It seems to change depending on who I talk to (those originally from NYC say 'nah - that's nothing - you should see what REAL gang territory looks like!') and those who are lifelong Niagara Falls residents go on about the good old days when honeymooners were there and it was prosperous and 'now look at this dump'...

Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 AM

879 posts, read 1,630,869 times
No, at the moment there is nothing in downtown Buffalo. If you are looking for more nightlife, there's Chippewa, Allen, Thursday's at the Harbor (in the summer), the marina, etc. But as for that location downtown? Crickets and tumbleweeds as long as a play isn't in the theater. There's also the area "cobblestone" district that's seeing a bit of a resurgence. The area is otherwise kind of desolate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area