Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
It can't be that bad can it? I'm just down the road in Rochester and I have no problem finding white collar, non sports freaks, non party girls. I've even dated girls transplanted from Buffalo who were much more sophisticated than the ones described here.
There is a variety, of women. Just that there is a definate blue collar, small town mentality to the city and it's people overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,479 times
I would say Rochester's economy and culture is a bit more educated and tech-based due to the presence of old money, technology companies (not saying that Rochester is Silicon Valley), and the history of Kodak and Xerox and the talent they've produced that has gone out to start their own, smaller companies to pick up the slack of those former companies' downsizing, along with an elite wealthy private university in UR that has things like the Medical School/Center, and a highly respected, entrepreneurial-spirited tech school in R.I.T. The people here will likely reflect the economic makeup a bit more.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 AM

879 posts, read 1,629,954 times
So my wife is not a chronic drinker football fan, avid reader, etc. So obviously these women exist. In fact, I meet many of them but none that are single. She is also from Buffalo.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
So my wife is not a chronic drinker football fan, avid reader, etc. So obviously these women exist. In fact, I meet many of them but none that are single. She is also from Buffalo.
Lucky guy.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:51 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,936 times
Dating is all about marketing. Getting yourself out there. Yes Buffalo is a little stodgy in it's ways. Unlike places like NYC where people have a ton of different likes and dislikes people there tend to like the same things. Sports, food, bars, going to the movies.

I can't say much because I met my GF near the end of her college career (she's from LI). But before that I lived in the country in Albion. I still found girls to date, it's just harder. Trust me, just because there is a wealth of girls in bigger cities, doesn't mean you will be able to get said girls. They become a LOT pickier because there are a ton of options. Especially if they make a good amount of money, most stay single as a choice.

I don't think you can really judge the city based on online dating profiles. Dating will always be a luck sort of thing. You may stumble across a woman at work, at a bar, at a sport event, hell at the grocery store and develop a connection. Nothing says you can only meet at certain places. So have online profiles but still try to vary your activities. Use meetup and join groups that have the same likes as you. Even if you find girls that are linked up already, being a good person will get you access to their possible single friends with a glowing reference from said friend.

Don't get too down. Just keep positive and let it happen naturally.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:58 PM

67 posts, read 93,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Is it just me or do you find dating-especially when browsing the online dating sites-in this region a bit underwhelming? I can't quite put my finger on why, but it just seems like cliche people that do the same stuff.
I think a lot of men would agree with your assessment. The average woman in WNY is big enough to be a lineman for the Buffalo Bills, but has a long list of demands that one might expect from a Buffalo Jills cheerleader. Plain Janes act like 9s and 10s around here because that's what they are on the Buffalo Bell Curve. They would be absolute nobodies in most cities outside of the rust belt. And in cities like Miami and San Diego, a "Buffalo 9" would be considered flat-out ugly, lol.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
I think a lot of men would agree with your assessment. The average woman in WNY is big enough to be a lineman for the Buffalo Bills, but has a long list of demands that one might expect from a Buffalo Jills cheerleader. Plain Janes act like 9s and 10s around here because that's what they are on the Buffalo Bell Curve. They would be absolute nobodies in most cities outside of the rust belt. And in cities like Miami and San Diego, a "Buffalo 9" would be considered flat-out ugly, lol.
Yep. A lot of 40 and 50 year old divorced grannies trying to find a sugar daddy because they can't live the good life themselves because their kids are messed up and they can't support the grandchildren. The ex hubby's usually divorce and leave the area leaving the woman desperate for some sucker to fill in as stepdaddy.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Yep. A lot of 40 and 50 year old divorced grannies trying to find a sugar daddy because they can't live the good life themselves because their kids are messed up and they can't support the grandchildren. The ex hubby's usually divorce and leave the area leaving the woman desperate for some sucker to fill in as stepdaddy.
The sad part is, these washed-up grannies will usually have an easier time snagging a partner than most men in their prime. That's why you often see tall, attractive, successful men with complete ogres as girlfriends. And it's also why you see average men having trouble finding ANY women in Western New York. I can see why the men in this area have such crappy attitudes when you combine the crappy dating market, the crappy job market, the crappy weather, the crappy people, the crappy politicians, the crappy tax rates, and the crappy sports teams to boot!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
The sad part is, these washed-up grannies will usually have an easier time snagging a partner than most men in their prime. That's why you often see tall, attractive, successful men with complete ogres as girlfriends. And it's also why you see average men having trouble finding ANY women in Western New York. I can see why the men in this area have such crappy attitudes when you combine the crappy dating market, the crappy job market, the crappy weather, the crappy people, the crappy politicians, the crappy tax rates, and the crappy sports teams to boot!
Middle aged men who are single in WNY are usually losers so their standards aren't too high. Well adjusted middle aged men are either happily in a relationship or have left WNY for greener pastures. A lot of these guys hangout in dive bars and get that double vision to score with equally pathetic women who got dumped by their ex's for younger women.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Middle aged men who are single in WNY are usually losers so their standards aren't too high. Well adjusted middle aged men are either happily in a relationship or have left WNY for greener pastures. A lot of these guys hangout in dive bars and get that double vision to score with equally pathetic women who got dumped by their ex's for younger women.
These days, it seems like any middle-aged man left in Western New York is either politically-connected or a deadbeat loser. Most men with ambition, and most attractive women, have left for greener pastures (or are planning to do so). The trash gets left behind, which further impairs Buffalo's reputation. This is why it's not such a good idea for Buffalonians to admit they're still living in Buffalo when vacationing out-of-town. The reactions won't be too pleasant based on my past experiences. True story: A few years ago, I was chatting up this attractive cashier at a high-end retailer on Chicago's Magnificent Mile. She seemed very pleasant and flirtatious UNTIL I told her that I live in Buffalo. All of a sudden, she turned colder than Santa going for a polar bear swim! Saying you live in Buffalo has about the same sex appeal as a 40 year-old man saying he still lives in his parent's basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area