Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times

Advertisements

Buffalo Locomotives for the Buffalo Bills, a nod to its train history.

Buffalo Freeze for the Buffalo Sabres, should be an obvious nod there.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:43 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
As the Bills are the only team actually in NYS and also as a way to regionalize the team, I recommend calling them the New York Bills. The 5 million upstaters should be able to call them their team too, as we're financially supporting their team. Any new stadium should either be built in Niagara Falls or somewhere more centraly located in upstate. Why aren't games played in Syracuse instead of Toronto?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:07 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
As the Bills are the only team actually in NYS and also as a way to regionalize the team, I recommend calling them the New York Bills. The 5 million upstaters should be able to call them their team too, as we're financially supporting their team. Any new stadium should either be built in Niagara Falls or somewhere more centraly located in upstate. Why aren't games played in Syracuse instead of Toronto?
Because Syracuse has always been and always will be a NY Giants majority. Just like Binghamton and Utica. Even Elmira isn't a Bills majority. Great. You have Rochester and Jamestown as majority Bills areas. The rest of the state is smart and roots for the 4 Time Super Bowl Champions !

Bills nickname ? How about the 99ers ? The last year you qualified for the playoffs.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,619 times
This is a crappy thread.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:04 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
@magnum, you're definitely wrong on this one. Elmira/Ithaca/Binghamton are pretty split between Bills, Jets and Giants. I would say the Jets are a little behind in third buts its just as many Bills fans as Giants fans out here. And Syracuse has a BUNCH of Bills fans, you're trippin. You see so many decals and Bills flags. I wont say they ar number one in the Cuse, but there is definitely a noticeable and large Bills network in Syracuse...

Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@magnum, you're definitely wrong on this one. Elmira/Ithaca/Binghamton are pretty split between Bills, Jets and Giants. I would say the Jets are a little behind in third buts its just as many Bills fans as Giants fans out here. And Syracuse has a BUNCH of Bills fans, you're trippin. You see so many decals and Bills flags. I wont say they ar number one in the Cuse, but there is definitely a noticeable and large Bills network in Syracuse...
I'll for the sake of argument say Elmira and Ithaca have some Bills fans. However, having grown up less than 2 hours east of Binghamton not far from the Catskills, I was very familiar with the vibe of Broome County. While I agree the Jets are the 3rd team even in Binghamton (I'd say Bing has more Eagles fans than Jets BTW), Binghamton is hardcore Giants territory.

As for Syracuse, the city and points east are also hardcore Giants country. I've noticed some Bills influence in areas just west like Auburn but the I 81 corridor is Giants Country. It was that way 30 plus years ago as a kid and it still seems that was in recent years before moving to AZ. It's true that the Bills majority doesn't happen until one leaves "soda country" and enters "pop country" in Upstate. Basically Geneva down to Corning and points west.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:41 AM

78 posts, read 83,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Because Syracuse has always been and always will be a NY Giants majority. Just like Binghamton and Utica. Even Elmira isn't a Bills majority. Great. You have Rochester and Jamestown as majority Bills areas. The rest of the state is smart and roots for the 4 Time Super Bowl Champions !
Even Jamestown and surrounding areas aren't the Bills strongholds that they were in the 1990s. The Bills are losing ground FAST in Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, and Allegheny counties. This is especially true among the youth who never got to see the Bills when they were actually good (but not good enough to win any Super Bowls, lol).

Quote:
Bills nickname ? How about the 99ers ? The last year you qualified for the playoffs.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to magnum0417 again."

Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
@magnum, I actually started to point out the Eagles influence in my previous post lol. There is a pretty sound Eagles network, most definitely...

We're from two different generations (I haven't even been alive for 30 years), and I'm encompassing Binghamton and points west, hence Elmira and Ithaca, while you were from Binghamton and points east. Its been a long time since the Giants were bad (mediocre sometimes, but they haven't been bad in well over a decade). That is worth mentioning, because especially when you factor in my age range. Every team has more supporters when they don't suck, and you have to be able to gauge that amongst fans. How many "Giants fans" would not be Giants fans if they turn into the Bills the next 5 years?

At any rate, I won't disagree that the Giants are number one in Syracuse or Bing. But it isn't far and away, and as you pointed out, Bing has plenty of Eagles and Jets fans (Elmira and Ithaca are similar there). If Bing and Syracuse are Giants first, the Bills are definitely second, hence my comment that the Southern Tier is virtually split between Bills/Giants. There are some hardcore Bills supporters, its almost like they're the Cubs of football haha...

Old 07-18-2013, 07:59 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post

I don't know. I think it is NYG's for the old timers and a mix for those that are 50 and under, with leaning towards the Bills. We do get all of the special Bills shows and pre season games on TV around here. This doesn't get into the fact that Jets camp is in Cortland and they have some fans up here too. Me personally, I like the Bills, but the Giants are my NFC team. I actually go back to following them during the Chuck Knox years.

I think it would nice to see the Bills at the Carrier Dome, but getting Clemson in the Dome this year isn't too bad.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-18-2013 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,244 times
The Los Angeles Bills
The Toronto Bills
The Buffalo Bills of Cheektowaga
The Buffalo Pizza, Subs, and Wings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area