Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 PM

86 posts, read 147,813 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My partner and I have recently relocated from the west coast to East Amherst (was a corporate relocation). We are closing on our new house next Wednesday.

I was hoping to get some advice on garbage collection in Amherst. I've tried searching around online but have not come up with a definitive answer.

I know our taxes include some that go toward garabage, do these pay for everything related to garbage? Do we just need to purchase some cans and put them out and they will be picked up by the city? Or do we need to sign up with a collection company and pay a separate fee in addition to the taxes?

At our old location in California we were stuck with one energy/gas provider. Here I read that energy is deregulated so you can pick your provider. I've signed up with National Grid and National Fuel but I don't understand how you go about 'picking' an energy provider.

Do most people here use an alternate provider? If so which ones are good? Do they really save money (I ask because National Fuel said that they sell at the price they buy the gas and only make money from the fees associated with delivery)?

Anyway advice for someone new to the area would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
Okay, Amherst will provide totes. You are done with garbage. No separate fee, no personal cans, etc.
There are two parts to energy, commodity (the gas or electricity stuff itself) and delivery (the pipes or wires). The delivery portion is regulated. However, you can choose a different "supplier" for the commodity. The savings are marginal but they are there (can be about $250 a year for both electricity and gas combined). Don't pick one of the plans that "lock rates". It's a gamble that you are no adequately trained to win and the companies will certainly be smarter than you because it is their business to "beat the market" if you will. I use Energy Coop of America, but shop around. Energy is also deregulated in CA, but because of markets there is only "one" supplier that was competitive. National Grid does your electric and National Fuel does your gas and you can have different suppliers for each. Good luck and welcome.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Make sure your electric is National Grid.--- Some sections of Amherst (east end, near Clarence) may be NYSEG. As far as energy coops, be aware you still need to pay the local company for delivery. All the coop is for is the actual energy use. Ask to see last years bills before you close on a house -- the seller should have them or. the company will have them. Then run the numbers. If you won't use enough energy to make a coop pay, then just go with variable rates.

http://www.natfuel.com/

https://www1.nationalgridus.com/NewYork

(If it is your area: http://www.nyseg.com/ )

Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 PM

Just for clarification, different suppliers can have variable rates or fixed rates including but not limited to coops. Fixed rates are definitely a gamble. If you are an energy commodities trader then by all means try and play the market, otherwise variable is likely your best option.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 AM

86 posts, read 147,813 times
Thanks for the info, we are for sure with National Grid, I've already signed up for an account with them (plus that information was provided by the seller).

The idea of selecting the actual 'supplier' is new and somewhat confusing, I'll certainly ask and see if the sellers can provide us with some history regarding their energy bills.

Appreciate the information on garbage collection too, while researching I phoned a company that was happy to take my money for pickup, I'm surprised they did not tell me that we already have the service offered by the city with the cost covered in our taxes. Glad I did not sign up with them!

Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
National Grid and National Fuel have to give you information to help pick the supplier. Their website should give some help on how to do it.
National Grid - Energy Choice
Choosing a Natural Gas Supplier

I happened to pick one that was a non-profit

Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Also watch out for some "suppliers" total SCAM. Best to go with the default supplier at first, shop around, get to know the industry a bit then pick an alternative supplier. Like I said, in a "good" year the savings b/w electricity and gas is about $250 so we're not talking TONS of money.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 AM

18 posts, read 77,923 times
Just to add a couple comments about garbage collection in Amherst. As genoobie correctly pointed out, the Town will provide you with a garbage tote, so you won't need cans or bags for that. They will also provide you with a recycle tote, they've been in use for a year or two now. I frankly don't know if you have to call the Town to get totes when you move or if prior residents commonly leave them behind, I moved in prior to the introduction of totes. Guess you'll find out. You may still want a standard can or two if you think you'll generate a lot of yard waste, e.g. grass clippings, dead plants from your garden, cut tree braches/limbs, etc.

In general Amherst has a good system for refuse control, as they call it (that's the actual name of the department that oversees it). However, it would behoove you to familiarize yourself with their various rules for the various waste categories, some of which can be nitpicky, or else you may arrive home some afternoon on pickup day to find something you left for pickup still sitting in front of your house. I believe they have both printed brochures and of course info online, on the Town of Amherst website.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmhNL View Post
... However, it would behoove you to familiarize yourself with their various rules for the various waste categories, some of which can be nitpicky, or else you may arrive home some afternoon on pickup day to find something you left for pickup still sitting in front of your house. I believe they have both printed brochures and of course info online, on the Town of Amherst website.
There are also some obvious safety concerns too.. Don't be this person..
Hazmat on scene in Amherst neighborhood | WIVB.com

Old 06-28-2013, 10:49 AM

223 posts, read 732,081 times
Here's a link to the Town of Amherst Refuse Control. Here they'll have information on trash pickup, when it is, hazardous pickup, what's for recycle, etc. Hope this helps.

Town of Amherst, New York - Government Departments

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area