Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 PM

10 posts, read 24,838 times

Advertisements

" there are lots of people from all over who move into Buffalo and its suburbs from all over the country, including many younger people"

PLEASE Linda - show me ONE shred of evidence to support your mass migration "from all over the country" to Buffalo. I'm sorry, I'm sure there are many transplants from Rochester or Syracuse or Erie, PA - but NO, no there are NOT people moving from all over the country to Buffalo. People move for job opportunities and a better life style. Neither of which Buffalo represents.

The mass migration is OUT not IN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 09:40 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew999 View Post
" there are lots of people from all over who move into Buffalo and its suburbs from all over the country, including many younger people"

PLEASE Linda - show me ONE shred of evidence to support your mass migration "from all over the country" to Buffalo. I'm sorry, I'm sure there are many transplants from Rochester or Syracuse or Erie, PA - but NO, no there are NOT people moving from all over the country to Buffalo. People move for job opportunities and a better life style. Neither of which Buffalo represents.

This Linda is probably some 3rd generation resident of Buffalo who has never seen the West Coast. Maybe we should give her some money to fly her out to So Cal to open her eyes to see how bush leagued and miserable WNY is.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliers View Post
In particular, young migrants (fresh college grads, etc.)? Is it hard/difficult to make friends and start your life in Buffalo?
2 groups on this board:
Those who like it here and those who make all posts negative ( a good part of them have moved away)

[My daughters, both raised here, both are perfectly happy. One lived in NYC for a while & could not wait to leave and come back.]

Buffalo is what you make of it. If you come with a negative attitude and are dead set against it, it will be not to your liking. If you come and make friends outside of work and bars -- as in, get involved in the community -- you will probably like itl

Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Puerto Ricans love Buffalo and Dunkirk since both towns welcome their Section 8 and entitlements when they wear out their entitlements out of state. God bless NY. Where the lazy get generous entitlements and have no motivation to get pride and work some $9/hr job because their Section 8,HEAP, medicaid and welfare gives them plenty of disposable income to spend on 40 ouncers and crack.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,954 times
I'm glad I had left for a bit to know what good there is in the area. I encourage other Buffalo-lifers to do the same.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Well, Linda - I for one don't want ANY more people moving to San Diego. I trash San Diego on the other board saying how awful it is and you'll spend more in sunscreen in half a summer than Buffalo does on heating bills all winter. Just TERRIBLE here. DO. NOT. COME. Shark attacks. Water is full of jelly fish and a new breed of killer dolphins.

PLEASE stay in Buffalo and encourage as many Buffalonians as you can that it is a city on the RISE and any one who leaves will miss the party as Buffalo undergoes a resurgence not seen in a 100 years!
Yeah San Diego sucks dude. I hate the Ocean Beach Dog Park for my animals. La Jolla is way more impoverished than Sunny Lackawanna. Those ugly mountains near El Cajon and Alpine have nothing on Kissing Bridge. Coronado Bridge is hideous. But golly, the Peace Bridge is just majestic. LMAO

Old 07-05-2013, 04:48 AM

969 posts, read 2,071,951 times
I can easily understand one's dislike of Buffalo, like any other place, but Magnum, your tears show in your repeated posts. You have no credibility. It's obvious that Buffalo rejected you in some way. Even on the 4th of July you're here crying, holy pathetic! Come on man, get over it. Buffalo's not for everyone.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:13 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Well, Linda - I for one don't want ANY more people moving to San Diego. I trash San Diego on the other board saying how awful it is and you'll spend more in sunscreen in half a summer than Buffalo does on heating bills all winter. Just TERRIBLE here. DO. NOT. COME. Shark attacks. Water is full of jelly fish and a new breed of killer dolphins.

PLEASE stay in Buffalo and encourage as many Buffalonians as you can that it is a city on the RISE and any one who leaves will miss the party as Buffalo undergoes a resurgence not seen in a 100 years!
Shouldn't a "driven", "outgoing" guy like yourself living in the paradise of Southern California be propped up in a sand chair ogling the bikini-clad babes on the beach at 5pm on the Fourth of July? Instead you're posting on a MB about your supposed old hometown.

Quote:

I didn't say "mass migration". You did.

Again, instead of being at some kind of 4th of July celebration or out with some of your high-powered pals, you're all by your lonesome typing away on your computer at 8pm.

Let me guess, you're related to rorytmeadows/superlegera/etc "the psychologist who works in IT" troll who infests the Rochester MB, right?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:24 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I can easily understand one's dislike of Buffalo, like any other place, but Magnum, your tears show in your repeated posts. You have no credibility. It's obvious that Buffalo rejected you in some way. Even on the 4th of July you're here crying, holy pathetic! Come on man, get over it. Buffalo's not for everyone.
The same with his buddy Lewie. Methinks we've got two trolls here with no lives but to prowl MBs -- or possibly one troll with multiple personalities.

Since it's three hours later in California, when it's 11pm here (and dark), it's only 8 there. If their lives were as wonderful as Lewie and Maggie claim they are, why are they here? After all, we're the ones living in supposedly "boring" Buffalo and its environs.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,936 times
Quote:

How does a city become on the rise? I bet it doesn't do it by bashing endlessly. Please stay on San Diego because your bad attitude is not welcome here. I live in NYC but you don't see me coming to complain and brag. Congrats on your 725k house and your vapid moms. Leave Buffalo to people that don't want fake people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souliers View Post
@Linda_D

Thanks for your reply. I still have a few semesters before I graduate, so I won't be moving soon, but I'll keep what you said in mind. I'm just trying to think of places I'd like to try living in as I went to college near my hometown and I feel it's time to get out :P

No, I just meant migrants as in people from other parts of the US, not immigrants
Just an FYI migrant means someone that moves a lot, mostly used to describe people that help out on farms. We used to live near a huge migrant camp in the country and they would come to pick apples and tend to the crops then they leave to find work elsewhere.

Anyways, disregard Lew, he is just a bitter person clearly. To me, Buffalo is really easy to make friends. Yes there are people that have grown up together and will stick together, but usually it's easy to meet people at work and around the town. The best chance is to live in the city of Buffalo (allentown, Elmwood, near Delaware Park, Kenmore area). There are plenty of meet ups for all different types of interests. Is it NYC with a huge diverse crowd? Not so much. But there are a ton of different things to do. Bars, clubs (a lot of EDM music and Indie music happening here), art, parks, sports, festivals, etc etc. You want to do things outdoors? Short drive and you are there. Skiing and snowboarding? Not that far away. Go to the Falls? Go to Toronto? It's all close and accessible. And that also means there are plenty of people there.

As long as you don't expect a big city attitude you will be just fine. If you like sports then that will make things even easier since the Sabres and the Bills are pretty important to the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area