Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughIsEnough View Post
You know you aren't supposed to like other places better than Buffalo, right? At least that's the impression I get while reading posts from Linda and other Buffalo homers on this forum. "If you are unhappy in Buffalo, you have only yourself to blame" is what they say. Obviously that is a load of bull. Like you, I was born in the wrong place at the wrong time and would be happier out west. More scenic, better economy, lower taxes, and more things to do. What's not to like?

BTW, this is turnthelightsoff. My other account was banned and my posts keep getting deleted. Hopefully this one will be allowed to remain.
What I said was that if you're unhappy about living in Buffalo, then do something about it. Apparently, magnum did. All you do it complain and make excuses why you don't do something about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,926 times
Quote:
You know you aren't supposed to like other places better than Buffalo, right? At least that's the impression I get while reading posts from Linda and other Buffalo homers on this forum. "If you are unhappy in Buffalo, you have only yourself to blame" is what they say. Obviously that is a load of bull. Like you, I was born in the wrong place at the wrong time and would be happier out west. More scenic, better economy, lower taxes, and more things to do. What's not to like?

BTW, this is turnthelightsoff. My other account was banned and my posts keep getting deleted. Hopefully this one will be allowed to remain.
I grew up in Orange County NY which even with the increased COL since the 1980s, would live there anytime over Buffalo. Best of luck !

Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 PM

78 posts, read 83,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I grew up in Orange County NY which even with the increased COL since the 1980s, would live there anytime over Buffalo. Best of luck !
Thanks magnum!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What I said was that if you're unhappy about living in Buffalo, then do something about it. Apparently, magnum did.
Fair enough.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks magnum!
Pick a spot and stay at an extended stay for a few weeks and set up a PO Box as well as get a local cell # so you appear to be a local to help you with job applications. I had been out to PHX for my job for close to 20 years and always knew a transfer was available. I was grateful for that since it's hard to start from scratch if your gig doesn't have offices in other parts of country. Keep at it !

Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Pick a spot and stay at an extended stay for a few weeks and set up a PO Box as well as get a local cell # so you appear to be a local to help you with job applications. I had been out to PHX for my job for close to 20 years and always knew a transfer was available. I was grateful for that since it's hard to start from scratch if your gig doesn't have offices in other parts of country. Keep at it !
Good advice. I know it probably won't be an easy transition, but I think it will be best for me in the long-run. I can totally relate to what you wrote about wasting so many years in Buffalo. You live and learn, I suppose.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Good advice. I know it probably won't be an easy transition, but I think it will be best for me in the long-run. I can totally relate to what you wrote about wasting so many years in Buffalo. You live and learn, I suppose.
It SHOULD be an easy transition. If someone is miserable in their environment, the opportunity to strike it elsewhere should be a party. There was nothing better than driving 4 days from Buffalo to Phoenix and celebrating seeing the spirit of the west when we spent a night in Amarillo,TX. Tumbleweeds and western flair. The drive sucks until you get to the TX Panhandle too. The Ozarks from STL to Joplin,MO broke up the monotony a bit but Ohio, Indiana and Illinois was the pits. There are cities with an even lower COL than Buffalo that I recommend you consider. Albuquerque,NM, Tucson, AZ or Phoenix which for me my income goes slightly further due to cheaper income and property taxes. ABQ is gorgeous and I enjoy getting there a couple times a year. If you want to inquire on ABQ, Tucson or PHX let me know.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
It SHOULD be an easy transition. If someone is miserable in their environment, the opportunity to strike it elsewhere should be a party. There was nothing better than driving 4 days from Buffalo to Phoenix and celebrating seeing the spirit of the west when we spent a night in Amarillo,TX. Tumbleweeds and western flair. The drive sucks until you get to the TX Panhandle too. The Ozarks from STL to Joplin,MO broke up the monotony a bit but Ohio, Indiana and Illinois was the pits. There are cities with an even lower COL than Buffalo that I recommend you consider. Albuquerque,NM, Tucson, AZ or Phoenix which for me my income goes slightly further due to cheaper income and property taxes. ABQ is gorgeous and I enjoy getting there a couple times a year. If you want to inquire on ABQ, Tucson or PHX let me know.
I was referring to the more practical aspects of the transition (e.g. finding employment, a good place to live, etc.) Once those major hurdles have been cleared, it shouldn't be so bad.

Albuquerque is one of the cities I'm considering, though other cities are higher up on my list. Right now, I would say that I am leaning towards Salt Lake City. It offers a solid job market, lower taxes, lower crime, conservative politics, decent enough people (I spent a few weeks there before), and great getaway options in all directions.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I was referring to the more practical aspects of the transition (e.g. finding employment, a good place to live, etc.) Once those major hurdles have been cleared, it shouldn't be so bad.

Albuquerque is one of the cities I'm considering, though other cities are higher up on my list. Right now, I would say that I am leaning towards Salt Lake City. It offers a solid job market, lower taxes, lower crime, conservative politics, decent enough people (I spent a few weeks there before), and great getaway options in all directions.
If you can find employment in SLC, all the power to you. I am in the banking industry and I deal with Utah residents struggling with their mortgages. Their biggest complaints are loss of job or demotion due to not being a LDS as a main reason for defaulting on loan. The LDS I have found are no different than anyone else on the surface. They'll be polite. However, when it comes to business and employment, they take care of their own.

A city VERY similar to SLC is Reno,NV from a climate and scenic standpoint. The job market isn't very good but its location is better with being 3 hours from SF and the coast as well as having Lake Tahoe 30 miles away.I am libertarian (social liberal fiscal conservative) and that is why I prefer AZ,NM and Nevada to the insular environment of Utah.

About ABQ. Not a real great job market but rentals are dirt cheap. Rentals near Nob Hill and the University Area can be had for $500/month. The Sandia Tram is beautiful and hiking galore throughout the area. The University District is awesome there and love the eclectic restaurants. I am a New Mexican Green Chili lover and have eaten at El Patio near the University as well as Monroe's on the corner of Lomas and Central. Back to employment. I stay at The Hyatt in the Uptown District on Louisiana every time I go. I partied at the ABQ Brew Pub in April, a couple guys were all excited about landing a $12/hr job at Intel. Intel is a great company with different locations in the SW but when you hear guys excited about $12/hr, you know the market is tough. The West Mesa area is nice with beautiful views of the mountains. Again, the cheapest rentals in safe areas are the area near The University.Perfect mix of White, Mexican and Native American culture there. It is high desert a mile above sea level but the temps are very moderate. Hardly ever gets above 100 in summer and winter temps seldomly get below the 20's at night.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 PM

I would strongly consider Reno if its economy were better. From what I've have read, however, that city is really struggling economically.

My biggest concern about SLC has always been the overwhelming influence of the LDS, along with potential discrimination that I might face for not being an LDS member. Your stories are very alarming. Maybe Denver would be a better option. It seems similar to SLC, but is obviously a much more secular environment.

I recall ABQ having a ton of bars, shops, and other amenities along Central Avenue when I last went there. Seemed like a very vibrant (or "hip" as lifelong Buffalonians say) place. The quality of women was a lot better too. ABQ has a lot of latinas, whereas most women in Buffalo are either ghostly pale or charcoal black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area