Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,715 times

Advertisements

Which one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Better in what way? IMO, you are comparing apples to oranges in comparing a small private college that only offers masters degrees to a large public university with numerous PhD programs as well as professional schools of dentistry, medicine, law, and pharmacy.

I think that SUNY Buffalo is much more selective than Canisius. I think that you will likely have smaller classes and more personal interaction with your professors at Canisius. Some undergrad programs at SUNY Buffalo will be better than at Canisius and vice versa. It will probably cost most students less to attend SUNY Buffalo.

The bottom line is that what the student gets out of any college, be it Harvard or Erie Community College, will be proportional to the effort he/she puts into it.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
I agree with Linda.

You need to tell the major, if just a BS or MS or more, if you are planning on staying here or moving away after...

You might get lots of financial aid at Canisius, you might not have such large classes... this is undergrad. Some people wouldn't go anywhere else, but I think most are people who are planning to stay local.

SUNYAB has larger classes, grad students sometimes teach some basic undergrad classes, the majors range all over. A good amount of people leave the area after graduation.

If you are deciding between one of the other, go visit them. Ask questions. You have to feel comfortable with the school -- and these are far, far apart in "personality"

Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The bottom line is that what the student gets out of any college, be it Harvard or Erie Community College, will be proportional to the effort he/she puts into it.

The real bottom line is choice of major. An engineering or business or STEM or nursing degree (even with a 2.5) from a nowheresville university is more valuable ($) than a softology degree from some Ivy League school with a 4.0.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,869 times
Agreed with what plmokn had to say.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
The real bottom line is choice of major. An engineering or business or STEM or nursing degree (even with a 2.5) from a nowheresville university is more valuable ($) than a softology degree from some Ivy League school with a 4.0.
While that's true, that wasn't the OP's original question. Furthermore, "what you get out" of your college education is NOT simply the ability to make $$$, but the ability to grow and develop skills regardless of your college major. If you learn to think critically and to write well, those are skills that will serve you well no matter what major you pursue, but they don't come automatically. You have to work at them.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,567 times
Depends where you will be working. For the most part I'd say Canisius is a bit more highly regarded by Buffalo area employers than UB.

I'm currently down in the Greater NYC area. Most recruiters have not heard too much about either school. Basically the 3 tiers of colleges down here seem to be: community colleges, ivy leagues, and everything else in between is: university of joe shmoe.

It's really coming down to what can you offer the employer. They are not interested in you hanging your diploma at your desk with your school's name on it. They want skills and knowledge. Choose a school and program that will offer the skills and knowledge that is currently demanded in the field you want to be in and be forward thinking as well. What skills will be needed in the future? You need to predict this as there will be jobs 4 years from now that don't exist today.

Forget the school name. Focus on who offers the coursework that is in demand.

6 Years out of college and my college and coursework never comes up anymore. It's what I know now and what I can offer now. This is for the financial services sector.

Disclosure: I'm a UB graduate.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Not necessarily. At least formerly.

When Ivy Grads Pick Teaching Over Wall Street: Cohan - Bloomberg

Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Also, softology is pretty condescending, k l m n o p.

I say this as someone who turned down a chance at a borderline-softology Ivy degree (school of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell) in order to be a philosophy major-dropout at UB (not sure whether philosophy lands in your cute little softology category with the obvious candidates like art history and English and sociology)

Old 09-01-2013, 08:27 AM

879 posts, read 1,630,869 times
We're talking about what society values. Society does not presently value a degree in philosophy (that's not to say it has no value) and society also values snookie and jersey shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area