Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
ckhthankgod:

I think it all has to do with the cost of living and doing business in New York State, while there will be differences in these different areas it's all relevant. We at one time looked at a home in Walton, N.Y. which was $80,000 and the property taxes were around $4,000, at the time our home in Peekskill was around $200,000 and the property taxes were around $7,500. By using that formula as a percentage of home value the taxes in Walton were higher. So, technically the cost of living in Walton was cheaper. However when it comes time to sell, the home will be worth a lot less. I guess it all depends on where you live and how those communities levy the taxes. I'm sure that the average incomes for those areas has a lot to do with fees, costs and taxes. At any rate there's no doubt about it New York State is an expensive place to live and do business. Once you get out of there and realize that other states, all have the same services as New York at about 1/8th the cost, at least for Arizona, you really have to wonder where all that money is going and why?
Again, overall cost of living is going to vary in NYS. It just does. That is why I said what happens in Peekskill is going to be different from communities in the Buffalo area in terms of overall COL. For instance, a home for 200k gets you into pretty any school district in the area, if not anywhere in Upstate NY.

I don't know if you get all of the same services given difference in climate, teacher requirements, layers of government and the fact that many people move to AZ to retire, which means less need for certain services. So, those differences have to be taken into account. This isn't to say that changes shouldn't be made in NY, but I don't think people take the differences within states into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 04:00 PM

7,501 posts, read 4,349,181 times
ckhthankgod:
Quote:
"I don't know if you get all of the same services given difference in climate, teacher requirements, layers of government and the fact that many people move to AZ to retire"
It's pretty much the same, we have state, local and county government. Part of our property taxes go to the community college, fire district, and public library in addition to our county and local taxes. But for a total of $1526 a year I certainly can't complain. They haven't gone up in the four years that we've been here. Granted the roads don't get as beat up because of the mild winter. Where I live we do get snow but it melts very quickly on the pavement and they rarely if ever use salt. We don't have children so I'm not up to par regarding the schools, there's always complaints that there's never enough money, I guess that's common everywhere, I know it was in Peekskill. I know people who have children and they seem satisfied with the school system. We also have a number of charter schools that provide competition to the public schools and that's a good thing. We don't have a teachers union or a legislature that is beholden to them. Arizona is a "Right to Work" state, where one is not required to belong to a union in order to be employed. One thing that we get very little of is litter, you do see it from time to time, but it doesn't even come close to driving up 9A in Westchester County where there is litter strewn everywhere. We also have to pay for our garbage removal, $54 per quarter. One driver one truck which is probably the same for private sanitation service in New York, however my sister pays $120 for two months at their summer cottage in N.Y. In Peekskill it was one driver two men on the back. Same for when I worked for the Village of Irvington, N.Y. I'm sure this contributes to the tax burden. Like New York we do see a lot of public employees standing around doing nothing at work sites, but with an annual tax bill of $1526 a year it doesn't bother you so much.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:20 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
You argue about this taxes, here and there. Is it all that significant and the reasons people move. I moved without giving a thought. Of course, when one is young you have only one thought and it is run below the waist.

What really of interest to me is I grew up in Cheektowaga. When I look at the house we lived in there, the taxes are so high comparatively to the suburbs of Denver, Arvada, I now live. Yet, in comparison, Cheektowaga has a bigger tax base with much more industry. It has the airport with all the associated hotels and other businesses. It has the major large mall in the WNY. Arvada has none of that extensive tax base.

Arvada has better schools, better recreational resources, many more parks and open space. The population is about 110,000 and that was the population of Cheektowaga when I left the area. So, why is the property taxes so much higher in Cheektowaga?

Livecontent

Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
ckhthankgod:

It's pretty much the same, we have state, local and county government. Part of our property taxes go to the community college, fire district, and public library in addition to our county and local taxes. But for a total of $1526 a year I certainly can't complain. They haven't gone up in the four years that we've been here. Granted the roads don't get as beat up because of the mild winter. Where I live we do get snow but it melts very quickly on the pavement and they rarely if ever use salt. We don't have children so I'm not up to par regarding the schools, there's always complaints that there's never enough money, I guess that's common everywhere, I know it was in Peekskill. I know people who have children and they seem satisfied with the school system. We also have a number of charter schools that provide competition to the public schools and that's a good thing. We don't have a teachers union or a legislature that is beholden to them. Arizona is a "Right to Work" state, where one is not required to belong to a union in order to be employed. One thing that we get very little of is litter, you do see it from time to time, but it doesn't even come close to driving up 9A in Westchester County where there is litter strewn everywhere. We also have to pay for our garbage removal, $54 per quarter. One driver one truck which is probably the same for private sanitation service in New York, however my sister pays $120 for two months at their summer cottage in N.Y. In Peekskill it was one driver two men on the back. Same for when I worked for the Village of Irvington, N.Y. I'm sure this contributes to the tax burden. Like New York we do see a lot of public employees standing around doing nothing at work sites, but with an annual tax bill of $1526 a year it doesn't bother you so much.
Is that $1526 for the total property tax or for the real property tax? Do you have an HOA fee as well?

Depending on the town, like the one I live in, garbage pickup is included in the taxes. Same with yard waste pickup as well.

There are charter schools, but not to the same degree, I believe. I think requiring teacher to get a Master's degree also adds to the school tax costs, whereas many other states don't require one or only at certain levels.

I'm sure that the snowfall totals up here are higher than totals in AZ as well. So, the cost of the infrastructure to remove snow will be at a higher cost.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 PM

chthankgod:
Quote:
"Is that $1526 for the total property tax or for the real property tax? Do you have an HOA fee as well?"
The $1526 is for the entire property tax, there is a breakdown on the bill as to what amount goes where, but that's it in it's entirety. No, I don't belong to an HOA, their fees vary from place to place. I would not live in an HOA, too many rules and regulations that are subject to change. One of the associations out here went bankrupt, leaving the homeowners saddled with the debt. A college degree is required to teach school out here. What type of degree? I really don't know. Peekskill's garbage pick up was also included in the property tax. Flagstaff and the White Mountains near Show Low can receive a considerable amount of snow, measured in feet. Where I am in central Arizona we usually get 3 or 4 snowstorms of about 6 inches each per season. This year none, except for about 1 inch in the beginning of December. I tell my friends back east it's kind of like having a snowstorm at the beginning of May in the lower Hudson Valley, if you can imagine that. Arizona is the nations 6th largest state, the weather all depends on your elevation. The lower the elevation the hotter it is. About an hours drive from me is the Sonoran Desert, while it was 90 where I live it was 118 there in the middle of August. I love the desert it is a strange and mystifying place, we spend a lot of time hiking there. I would definitely live there if it weren't for the relentless summer heat. We've been there at all times of the year. If you haven't already seen it and experienced it, it's definitely worth checking out. What you see on TV doesn't do it any justice, just miles and miles of open space, rock formations, and mountains as far as the eye can see, and not a soul around. The only thing you hear is the wind. Unbelievable! My favorite place in all of Arizona, and there are many.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,119 times
It sounds like a nice place to visit. Living there? Not so much for me. I like the lakes, the four seasons, my property taxes are $2200 / yr. Garbage another $200. My annual utilities are about $3K (elec., gas, H20) To each their own. Have fun!

Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 PM

genoobie:
Quote:
"It sounds like a nice place to visit. Living there? Not so much for me. I like the lakes, the four seasons, my property taxes are $2200"
Nothing wrong with that! Sounds like you've found your paradise as I've found mine. Do come out and visit though, if you want to see the Sonoran Desert the end of October through the middle of May would be the best time. While you're at it check out Sedona and of course the Grand Canyon then there's Monument Valley or Old Rte 66, you might want to also drive the length of Highway 89 and 89A. You will enjoy it!

Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
genoobie:

Nothing wrong with that! Sounds like you've found your paradise as I've found mine. Do come out and visit though, if you want to see the Sonoran Desert the end of October through the middle of May would be the best time. While you're at it check out Sedona and of course the Grand Canyon then there's Monument Valley or Old Rte 66, you might want to also drive the length of Highway 89 and 89A. You will enjoy it!
Have you been to Lake Havasu? I haven't been, but that looks interesting or is it just known for its Spring Break activities?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,218 times
Lake Havasu is a wonderful place to visit but the summers are hot and uncomfortable. Not much culture there. The lake draws the younger people from California. It is a party town. From April to Oct you are cooling your house. Prescott, AZ is way nicer.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 AM

ckhthankgod:
No, not yet. It was on our list of places to move to until we found out that it was probably the hottest place in Arizona, along with Bullhead City and Yuma. If it weren't for that, sure I could live there. We've been to Ehrenberg/Blythe on the Colorado River off of I10 just for the hell of it. Ehrenberg isn't very nice but the ride was fun so were the views of the Colorado River and the swaying palm trees. Being originally from the Northeast we got a kick out of eating hamburgers outside at Wendy's when it was 85 in the middle of February.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-23-2014 at 07:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area