Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 06:57 PM

87 posts, read 213,061 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research into this and being disabled and looking into properties back home I naturally looked for exemptions into property taxes. I knew about STAR on the school taxes but I was unaware of this exemption Exemption for persons with disabilities

So I called a few assessor's office to ask. Yes it is a option because Erie County, Allegheny, Niagara all do not allow this , only the star tax.Then I heard about other counties honoring this exemption for a veteran and I thought hmmm weird.
So I'm bringing this here for thoughts. Yes on 1 hand this saves counties money but it also shoots them in the foot because Im sure alot sell and leave or don't bother to buy with property taxes going threw the roof in NY .I was home recently in the Southern tier and the blight there was heart wrenching. Machias, Franklinville all threw out the southern tier the homes were either in dis repair or abandoned .Im sure a savings on taxes would of helped.Thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 11:53 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Not all towns in Erie County ignore disability. And all ( I am sure) have Veteran's. I'm in Erie County:

Here are all the discounts in my town:

http://www.lancaster.oarsystem.com/P...ons%202013.pdf

There is a disability in there: my town it is a $32K range for income.

Go and check the TOWN you want and go to the assessor page and you can find town information

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 10-05-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 PM

87 posts, read 213,061 times
OK cool , so this is STAR AND the State Exemption for the bigger part of your property taxes ? See this is why I posted this here so we can get a idea where and in what counties allow this. Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Not all towns in Erie County ignore disability. And all ( I am sure) have Veteran's. I'm in Erie County:

Here are all the discounts in my town:

http://www.lancaster.oarsystem.com/P...ons%202013.pdf

There is a disability in there: my town it is a $32K range for income.

Go and check the TOWN you want and go to the assessor page and you can find town information

Old 10-06-2013, 10:10 AM

317 posts, read 576,479 times
depending on the economy of each town, some will give a higher STAR than others. Like Port Chester will give $1,292, while New Rochelle will give $2,800

As far as Veterans Exemptions you can get certain percentages taken off based on 3 factors, having served overseas, being a veteran, and Service Connection [Disabled Vet]

Old 10-07-2013, 03:05 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
There is also Senior STAR which is entirely based on income.

Bottom line? Basically anyone can get plain ordinary STAR. You just have to make under $500,000/year.

All the other exemptions, you need to do homework. Veterans get based on when and where you were in the service and if you are disabled.

Disablity is on income

Senior is on income.

Other places may have more.....

And how much is give ( taken off) is often based not on the wealth of the community but its assessment system: some places ( like my town) are at 100% assessment and some are fractional (like at 30/40/60 % of value). The full assessment locations give higher discounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area