Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times

Advertisements

I grew up on Colvin Avenue in Kenmore, NY and went to Lindbergh Elementary, Kenmore Middle, and St. Joe's (class of '97) before going off to college and leaving the WNY area. There is a possibility my wife and I may be having a child. I am thinking about possibly moving back to WNY because I feel it is the best place to raise a family.

How is the Ken-Ton system today? I heard there may be some consolidation, and on greatschools.com I was a little disappointed with the rankings - but I am thinking that if it is as good of a school system as it was in the 1990s, it would be a fine district to raise a child in. I am a person who believes that the involvement of the parent has just as much (if not more) influence in the scholastic success of a child as the school system/teachers...so, really I was just hoping that Kenmore is still considered a safe, good place to raise kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 PM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Here is the most recent report card for the district: https://reportcards.nysed.gov/school...1994&year=2012

It seems to be a solid school district academically.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 AM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
According to many posters on the board, the only place you ought to consider are the top five BizFirst rankings.

Clarence, East Aurora, Orchard Park, Williamsvile and Iroquois.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
According to many posters on the board, the only place you ought to consider are the top five BizFirst rankings.

Clarence, East Aurora, Orchard Park, Williamsvile and Iroquois.
Eh. I'm a North Buffalo guy...it's what I grew up with and what I know. I realize everyone thinks their kid is in the top 5%, but the reality is that is just not the case. I am of the attitude that almost all schools in the area can provide adequate education to kids within 2 standard deviations of the mean...in other words 95% the child population of Buffalo, as long as those schools are safe. I just wanted to check on the pulse of Ken/Ton schools to see if they are still considered very safe environments to send a child into. I have been out of the area for 10 years...

Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 AM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
You might like this too: Great Places in America: Neighborhoods

Old 10-04-2013, 06:25 PM

400 posts, read 575,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I was just hoping that Kenmore is still considered a safe, good place to raise kids.
Hello, Kenmore is still a safe place to raise your family. We have many tenants who have children in the district and NEVER hear a complaint about the schools. Families were hurt with the closing of the schools but they also understand that the neighborhoods that feed those schools are majority retired, elderly population with no children to enroll in schools. The district is one of the reasons many families buy in the Kenmore area when getting out of the Buffalo Public School system, they trust the district because they have a good track record.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:19 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
KenTon is shrinking. They closed one school this year (Jefferson) and may close another next year. That being said, they still have good programs -- a friend's daughter is getting an IB

Look up their website.

Kenmore Town of Tonawanda UFSD / Overview

Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 AM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
I think Ken-Ton is ranked 53rd in Business First. Their ranking has slipped and consequently so will real-estate values. This has happened in Cheektowaga, SweetHome and a few other districts. If you are not buying in Kenmore then you may be fine (but according to many posters the top five would be the only affordable and reasonable choice). I would be skeptical about buying in districts where the school rankings are on the decline. Many people (as many on this board have claimed to do themselves) have made their decisions of home ownership locale based on the school rankings. Just some food for thought.

Me personally? I live in North Buffalo and am raising my family here. No problems with safety. As far as schools go, I would personally be skeptical of any "rankings". The data does not show that rankings make a difference and top rated schools only insure their grads will be likely to go to college and perpetuate a middle to upper middle class lifestyle (but not necessarily learn anything).

Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I grew up in Kenmore around the same time and most likely passed you in the halls of Kenmore middle (I went to Roosevelt, Middle, and am a Ken-West grad, '96). I also still have some friends who live in ken-ton and send their kids to schools there. They are still happy with the district in general but have been concerned regarding the consolidation talks and efforts.

I think some socio-economic changes in some areas of the district are affecting it's scores and rankings more than any negative changes in the district's administration.

Honestly, I would not have heartburn about sending my daughter to Ken-Ton schools. However, as mentioned, if I was buying property in Kenmore or the Town I would choose my neighborhood and street carefully as there are definately better or worse areas.

These days I live in South Cheektowaga, in the West Seneca East school district.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
I also attended the ken-Ton schools in the 60's and 70's. The elementary schools are good but the Kenmore East I knew left a lot to be desired when my kids were students there. The only problem is the closure and redistricting that is now going on. A friend bought a house in the Town of Tonawanda 2 years ago because the elementary school was just around the corner. They closed the school last year and then her daughter had to be bussed to Edison for 1st grade. Unfortunately, that is suppose to close and now the little girl will be bussed to a third school all within 3 years. They are also suppose to close Ken East and merge that with Ken West. The schools keep closing but my school taxes keep rising - they are about what I pay yearly for county taxes. And with that amount of money being spent - I'd expect the district to be ranking higher on the charts than they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area