Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 10,788 times

Advertisements

I don't think 4WD is necessary, unless you are way south of the city. But it sure is nice. In my 20+ years driving in buffalo, this is my 2nd year with 4WD (Jeep Liberty)...and I love it. My husband doesn't care one way or another.

Either way, I don't really think it's the car you drive...it's how well you drive it.

Good Luck!
Maria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:42 PM

417 posts, read 864,199 times
You need tread on your tires and that's all, I put a set on my gf's 2000 cavalier and it goes though snow like a tank...prior to that she bent a rim because it was slipping all over on the snow. You can get away with old tires in the summer only here.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,373,529 times
No.

Save yourself the money and hassle and just buy winter tires and mount them on steel wheels. 2WD (even RWD) with winter tires performs better than AWD with all-seasons. You can also downsize this way to 15" or 16" wheels. Winter tires are better than AWD in both stopping and accelerating, which is what you need your tires for in the winter anyway. AWD won't stop you from skidding.

You may ask, "why should I invest in a second set of tires?" Well, many people in Buffalo ditch their all-seasons with 40-50% of their remaining tread left, because they are deemed unsafe for winter. With a second set of dedicated tires, those tires can be used for their entire tread life during each summer, rather than wasting money buying new all-seasons every 2 years.

I have a Chevy Cruze with 16" snow tires and I drive through blizzards like a Mack Truck. Happy snow driving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area