Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:37 PM

148 posts, read 647,892 times

Advertisements

To all you people wanting to buy a home in the NY countryside, read below. The Dairy factory farms are killing all the wells in NY and now HOG factory farms are marching north! Enjoy

The Buffalo News: Eastern Suburbs: E. coli found in water from wells in Alden (broken link)

E. coli bacteria has been found in water that comes from wells in the
Town of Alden, a discovery that is concerning town and Erie County
officials.
According to correspondence from the county Health Department that was
read during Monday’s Town Board meeting, a “substantial increase in
positive E. coli samples in the existing private water supply” was
found after water quality was tested.
The letter categorized the discovery as a “real public health
concern.”
Councilman Bill Weber said the discovery was made after the town urged
residents of proposed Water District No. 5 to have their water quality
tested because the U.S. Department of Agriculture said the town could
potentially receive greater funding for the proposed water district if
there was documentation of a water quality issue.
“There is a very serious need for improved water supply,“ the
letter reads. “This is a health factor-based need.”
“This is for people in the southern part of the Alden area who are on
private wells,“ County Public Health Engineer Tom Casey said. “Not
for people who use Erie County water.”
While Casey did say the county found an increase in the amount of E.
coli in residents’ well systems, he was not overly concerned about the
health risk to Alden residents.
“If you ingest [the water] without preparing it, like boiling it, it
is a potential problem,” Casey said. “This can create a problem,
but it’s not that serious unless you come in direct contact with it.”

Bathing with the contaminated water or using it to wash dishes in sudsy
water should not cause a health concern, according to Casey.
Residents of Water District No. 5 who chose to have their water tested
by the county were informed of the test results. However, Weber said
other residents have not had their water tested.
“They are flirting with disaster,” he said. “They can have their
water tested by the county at a reasonable rate. I think it is around
$15.”
Currently, Metzger believes, at least 20 percent of the town’s
population is without usable water. In addition, Metzger said the northeast
end of Marilla, which abuts the southeast portion of Alden, is also in
desperate need of usable water.
Funding for the proposed water district will not only come from grants
and federal assistance, but also from town taxes, said Metzger and
Weber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 08:39 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Gees, a small town and they only have a small part of town w/out county water. (I live here & have friends in Marilla.) If you notice, at the 3rd paragraph, this is all in the area of "proposed water district 5". If there is any problem, the US and State money to put in COUNTY water goes up.

What you are NOT telling people is that the south end of the county found it very COSTLY to go on the county water last year... personally, I think is is for cost savings.

Add to that the fact the water table is way down this year...

Give all the facts.

I have a well; however, we are in a water district from back in the 1950s.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:43 PM

148 posts, read 647,892 times
The wells are being contaminated from MANURE SLURRY spread by INDUSTRIAL DAIRY FARMS. The fact is that the Erie County Health Department is VERY CONCERNED about E Coli in well water. I wouldn't call "20% of the homes in Alden are without safe drinking water" a small part of the town. The other sad fact is that YOU, the taxpayer, will have to pick up the costs of getting clean water to your homes (unless you are a Dairy Farmer)....not the dairy farmer who ruined your well. Thank them the next to you see his massive manure slurry tankers running non stop, leaking on the street, heading towards the fields to spread his poison near your back yard and well water source. Enjoy a fresh glass of well water in Alden and Marilla, NY........just remeber to BOIL it first and thank your local factory farmer.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,891 times
Considering the dairy farms were here long before everyone came out and built their 3000 square foot houses, I don't see the problem. We rent our house from a dairy farmer. His family has farmed here for quite awhile and the property we are on was a farm when Marilla was settled, over 100 years ago.

I cannot understand how people can build near a farm, then complain about the smell and the manure, much like I cannot understand people who move into the subdivisions near the airport and then crab about the noise.

Seriously, Marilla and outlying Alden (I highly doubt they are fertilizing anything in the town area proper) have been farm communities for ages.

You expect to drink milk, but don't expect any farming to go on. Perhaps you should thank the dairy farmer for continuing to get up at 4 am, 365 days a year and work until at least 8 pm every night, at a job that does not really bring in all that much money (my landlords wife has to work a "regular" job) and takes a huge toll on his body so that you don't have to pay a huge amount for milk like they do in the Carolinas and Florida, where there are no local dairy farms.

For those wanting to move to the WNY countryside: If there is a field or farm near the property you are looking at, perhaps you could consider what that means, as far as smell, etc. BEFORE you move there. Not complain about it afterwards.

And PS--the dairy farmer here? He PAID to have county water lines put in the property several years ago.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:51 AM

SM1972 -- Glad you posted. Itsmellsbad seems to hate all farming. I back up to a farm ( fields, not cattle) and it does get manure as fertilizer. If we hated it, we'd have moved long ago. My husband's family were farmers and I have great respect for them and their work ethic. it is hard.

Remember, the article cited by itsmellsbad was over a year back and it was a year after the brouha in the far southtowns (Colden, Boston) when going on County water would have raised the taxes enormously. Several towns opted NOT to go on County Water after getting their own wells tested (not the state testing).... the article was to force the issue of the water district. Lots of Marilla is on County Water even near the farms ( have a friend out by Clinton who is); most of Alden is.

I have yet to see itsmells bad to say anything positive on our terrific agricultual areas.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 PM

5 posts, read 23,411 times
For one u have a problem with the farms and water MOVE!I have a well in alden get urs tested !get a filtrason system.soon they are going to bring in city water...are you going to say that the farmers are going to mess that up aswell?if u do not like it stay in buffalo..move far away if you are so afraid of farmland.what do u expect?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
The wells are being contaminated from MANURE SLURRY spread by INDUSTRIAL DAIRY FARMS. The fact is that the Erie County Health Department is VERY CONCERNED about E Coli in well water. I wouldn't call "20% of the homes in Alden are without safe drinking water" a small part of the town. The other sad fact is that YOU, the taxpayer, will have to pick up the costs of getting clean water to your homes (unless you are a Dairy Farmer)....not the dairy farmer who ruined your well. Thank them the next to you see his massive manure slurry tankers running non stop, leaking on the street, heading towards the fields to spread his poison near your back yard and well water source. Enjoy a fresh glass of well water in Alden and Marilla, NY........just remeber to BOIL it first and thank your local factory farmer.

I do thank the farmer, and i dont thank u ,go move to nyc or far into buffalo.DONT, I REPLY DO NOT MOVE NEER A FARM AND COMPLANE!!!PEOPLE LIKE U BUILD NEW HOMES NEER A FARM THEN COMPLANE TO THE TOWN ABOUT IT AND MESS EVERYTHING UP..JUST MOVE AND AS FAR AS WATER GOES WE DRINK WATER FROM A BOTTLE OR FROM A SPRING NOT TO FAR AWAY.AND AS FAR AS TELLING US OR anyone else about boiling the water first well DUH..people like this just make me so upset

Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
To all you people wanting to buy a home in the NY countryside, read below. The Dairy factory farms are killing all the wells in NY and now HOG factory farms are marching north! Enjoy

The Buffalo News: Eastern Suburbs: E. coli found in water from wells in Alden (broken link)

E. coli bacteria has been found in water that comes from wells in the
Town of Alden, a discovery that is concerning town and Erie County
officials.
According to correspondence from the county Health Department that was
read during Monday’s Town Board meeting, a “substantial increase in
positive E. coli samples in the existing private water supply” was
found after water quality was tested.
The letter categorized the discovery as a “real public health
concern.”
Councilman Bill Weber said the discovery was made after the town urged
residents of proposed Water District No. 5 to have their water quality
tested because the U.S. Department of Agriculture said the town could
potentially receive greater funding for the proposed water district if
there was documentation of a water quality issue.
“There is a very serious need for improved water supply,“ the
letter reads. “This is a health factor-based need.”
“This is for people in the southern part of the Alden area who are on
private wells,“ County Public Health Engineer Tom Casey said. “Not
for people who use Erie County water.”
While Casey did say the county found an increase in the amount of E.
coli in residents’ well systems, he was not overly concerned about the
health risk to Alden residents.
“If you ingest [the water] without preparing it, like boiling it, it
is a potential problem,” Casey said. “This can create a problem,
but it’s not that serious unless you come in direct contact with it.”

Bathing with the contaminated water or using it to wash dishes in sudsy
water should not cause a health concern, according to Casey.
Residents of Water District No. 5 who chose to have their water tested
by the county were informed of the test results. However, Weber said
other residents have not had their water tested.
“They are flirting with disaster,” he said. “They can have their
water tested by the county at a reasonable rate. I think it is around
$15.”
Currently, Metzger believes, at least 20 percent of the town’s
population is without usable water. In addition, Metzger said the northeast
end of Marilla, which abuts the southeast portion of Alden, is also in
desperate need of usable water.
Funding for the proposed water district will not only come from grants
and federal assistance, but also from town taxes, said Metzger and
Weber.

people like u make me sick and people who are farmers laugh at you,i lived out here my whole life im not dead!and as far as warer goes i got a letter in the mail there planning on adding city water.and whoever wants it can tap into the line

Old 09-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandamchi View Post
people like u make me sick and people who are farmers laugh at you,i lived out here my whole life im not dead!and as far as warer goes i got a letter in the mail there planning on adding city water.and whoever wants it can tap into the line
You cannot convince the people who hate farms to move from them. I cringe everytime another new house goes up ANYWHERE near us... But you get tons of NIMBYs in at town meetings screaming about stuff like this and look what happens.

I expect you will get Erie County Water Authority water like I have. There's 2 of us and our bills are less than $40/quarter. ($160/year). Our well? It is still out there (the house was changed to county water when my husband bought it) and only usable in the yard (we used it this summer for watering).. If needed, then we always have it...

Old 01-20-2014, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,722 times
Default dirty wateri

I live in Alden and sufferred.from.the ecoli scare. It is a huge problem and I would like to publicly stated that with a family of 3 in my household in the village after the rate increase My water bills about $450 quarterly. Right now as it is I pay more for water than I do for any other utility in my home. I would really like to know where all that money is going if I water is still being contaminated. As far as factory farms there's no reason for somebody to have a number of animals that they cannot humanely take care ofWhen you're taking care of animals you should not choose money over the well being of what you care for Please people let's not be greedy. But back to the subject of water if everybody were to have a voice about the water bills in the village of alden we as a people could make a difference. Of course we could also make a difference as far as the farming industry goes bring it back to base X slow it down a little bit and stop worrying so much about increasing production increasing production increasing production Wow battery finds her being created where chickens suffer everyday with broken bones Or pay grease house 2012 fring eggs being tortured and abused until they die Why doesn't everybody just start opening their eyes instead of closing them and shopping at tops like nothing died for what they eat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area