Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:29 PM

118 posts, read 626,741 times

Advertisements

Check out the map associated with this....it breaks down Western NY....the Niagara Frontier, The Genesee Region, and the Finger Lakes.....very accurate IMO

Western New York Travel Guide: Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 02:35 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post

Central NY counties include: Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Oneida, Sherrill, Onondaga, Oswego, Tompkins, and Herkimer.
FedupWNY, I know how you feel. To me, Central NY is ONLY Onondaga, Oswego, Cayuga, and Madison counties.

To me Tompkins and Cortland counties are the Southern Tier. Why? Tompkins is very close to Elmira, which is the Southern Tier. Cortland County is in a Consolidated Metropolitan Area with Tompkins County. Tompkins and Cortland are almost one metro because of commuting patterns. More people from Cortland County travel to Tompkins County than travel to Onondaga County.

To me, Oneida County and Herkimer County make up the Utica MSA. To me Utica has always been called the Mohawk Valley. Trouble is that lately Utica is using the name Central NY as their own.

My question is...if Oneida and Herkimer are both Mohawk Valley and Central NY. Tompkins and Cortland are both Southern Tier and Central NY. Then what is the other name besides Central NY for Onondaga Oswego, Cayuga, and Madison counties???

Old 12-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesAlot View Post
Check out the map associated with this....it breaks down Western NY....the Niagara Frontier, The Genesee Region, and the Finger Lakes.....very accurate IMO

Here is a better map IMO, well at least for Central New York. Though I believe Cortland County should be in the Southern Tier.

http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/graphics/crmtrnd01/ct_006.gif (broken link)

Old 12-02-2007, 02:56 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Then what is the other name besides Central NY for Onondaga Oswego, Cayuga, and Madison counties???
You got me stumped on that one, I found online somewhere of which counties are Central NY. But it's kind of the same when people "consider" some regions to be that of WNY.

Your map is a good one outlining the same of the 8 counties in Western New York, yours from criminaljustice.state.ny.us/graphics like mine from the Western New York Jury selection webpage whereas the government indicates what is WNY.

http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/graphics/crmtrnd01/ct_006.gif (broken link)

Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesAlot View Post

yes...that's the definitieon I and most people who live in that region would use to describe WNY. I can see calling Rochseter part of the Fingerlakes region...but the Fingerlakes reigon. to me at least...has always been a subregion of the greater "western New york". Rochester is not, by any means, part of Central NY. That's Syracuse-Oswego.

Webster's definition of our Rochester is "A city in Western NY on Lake Ontario and the Genesee River, Pop 230,000." (its the 1990 version).

To get back to the orginal point of this thread, YES, I absolutely support a thread made especially for Western NY...which should include the Buffalo AND Rochester areas...as well as the southern tier; because that is what consists of ALL of WNY.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:05 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,224 times
Here's my vote for a WNY forum... and a big congradulations to the hard working never quitting Bills of ours... I'd like to see some lake effect snow next Sunday, let it start at 1:00pm and end at 4:20pm... fish sticks ;~} T&C

Old 12-02-2007, 03:12 PM

If you want my opinion the next subforum should be for the Mid-Hudson Valley. That whole area north of NYC that they called Upstate down there is really Downstate IMO.

Also, if we are going to start breaking up Upstate into subforums, I'd rather see it done by Metropolitan Areas, not whole regions of the State. For example, instead of a "Western NY" subforum...a subforum called "Buffalo-Niagara Falls Metropolitan Area". Which would only include Erie and Niagara Counties.

Breaking up the whole state into regions is too confusing to outsiders.... who would most likely not understand the various Upstate NY regions.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:13 PM

118 posts, read 626,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Here's my vote for a WNY forum... and a big congradulations to the hard working never quitting Bills of ours... I'd like to see some lake effect snow next Sunday, let it start at 1:00pm and end at 4:20pm... fish sticks ;~} T&C

Yes Town&Country...good game...finally the Bills are the ones getting wins in the final seconds of the game...it is a good feeling, when you win.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:35 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
If you want my opinion the next subforum should be for the Mid-Hudson Valley. That whole area north of NYC that they called Upstate down there is really Downstate IMO.
WNY is the western most part of NYS (no matter how far people want to stretch it). We're 300-450 miles away from NYC, LI. We are a different culture here than there.

As per being too confusing, I was talking to someone the other day (a telemarketer like person) who saw she was calling "New York" and assumed she was talking to someone who can see the Statue of Liberty. (Where I am) We are about 15 minutes from Niagara Falls, what better subform than one which includes one of the "wonders of the world" .... yes, I'm lobbying for this

Old 12-02-2007, 05:46 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Where is Monroe County?!?!? That's where Rochester is; its the second largest county Upstate. I don't know why Buffalo people always like to "exclude" us...But Rochester is considered Western NY too. Most people consider Wayne County the farthest east county of Western NY. That makes "Western New York" both the Buffalo AND Rochester metro areas...as well as the southern tier. If anything, the finger lakes is a "sub region" of Western NY. The area the above poster outlined in red is considered the "Niagara Frontier"... not the whole of WNY, but another subregion of it.
Sorry. I live in Arizona! I didn't mean to offend you! When I did live in WNY, I always thought of Rochester as part of WNY. I don't think the Finger Lakes are part of WNY, I was merely suggesting that since there are several people from that area posting as well, that perhaps they should be allotted a sub forum spot also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area