Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,219,241 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain the authority, jurisdiction and purpose of the NFTA Transit Police? Their website does not reveal very much and I cannot find much information otherwise. However I was suprised to learn that they (port authorities) are quasi-governmental.

I passed one on the 290 last summer going a little above the speed limit and thought nothing of it because it was a Transit car. I proceeded to maintain my slightly above the limit speed for a few miles, making my way down the 190. He was trailing me a few car lengths behind as I was watching him the whole time. He eventually put his lights on and pulled me over, then proceeded to my window and went through the normal process of a routine traffic pull over. I then questioned him as to why he pulled me over and he claimed "speeding". I then questioned him as to how he was able to lawfully detect my speed without using a speed detection device to do so. At that point he handed my license back and said he had to go.

My concern is his authority to be able to pull me (or anyone) over for driving on public roadways, in and out of absence of any perceived violation. I was going to start questioning his authority during the stop, but without the proper knowledge it would have been an unwise risk. I would like to be armed with the correct information for any future, potential encounters.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:47 AM

879 posts, read 1,630,631 times
If i am not mistaken, areas that border nfta property are their jurisdiction. e.g. genesee street bordering airport, street bordering metro station, etc.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
If i am not mistaken, areas that border nfta property are their jurisdiction. e.g. genesee street bordering airport, street bordering metro station, etc.
My impression was that this occurrence was an exercise in "power tripping" but I was not certain of the situation at the time. He was clearly agitated that I did not [fearfully] slow down when he was behind me. He also blatantly lied to my face that I was not using my turn signals when changing lanes, even though I made absolute certain that my signals flashed at least 3 times before beginning each lane change.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,631 times
Could be. However, if you are breaking the law, police officers have a right to detain you and provide witness to the proper jurisdiction. Suppose a Lancaster police officer is driving through Buffalo and sees a traffic infraction (someone running a red-light perhaps). They can pull that person over and provide witness. A Buffalo cop will have to charge the offender I think. It doesn't happen very often, but I think it is possible.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Could be. However, if you are breaking the law, police officers have a right to detain you and provide witness to the proper jurisdiction. Suppose a Lancaster police officer is driving through Buffalo and sees a traffic infraction (someone running a red-light perhaps). They can pull that person over and provide witness. A Buffalo cop will have to charge the offender I think. It doesn't happen very often, but I think it is possible.
A police officer has the right to detain someone if there is probable cause (evidence) that a law may have been broken. However, with your own example of a Lancaster police officer; If I was observed breaking any law inside of Lancaster, said officer may then lawfully detain me. If Lancaster officer observed me breaking civil law (traffic code) outside the bounds of Lancaster, he may not lawfully detain me as such a location is not in his jurisdiction to enforce civil code.

I already knew that there was no substantial evidence that would support any traffic violation accusal. However, I felt as if my rights were violated by being detained by an officer, outside of his jurisdiction. I am here to clarify jurisdiction and other inquiries regarding the NFTA Transit Police Department.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:51 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
He also needs to note that Town of Lancaster includes the Village of Lancaster -- and we merged those 2 police forces -- but Lancaster also has half of Depew and they have their own force. (The other half of Depew is in Cheektowaga, so Depew operates in its village in 2 towns.) Bad choice. Even Kenmore ( pickiest force I know of) is only in its village boundaries or streets on the perimeter -- as Kenmore Ave (half Kenmore, half Buffalo), not the Town of Tonawanda.

Any force can call on another ( usually the next town) for help.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
He also needs to note that Town of Lancaster includes the Village of Lancaster -- and we merged those 2 police forces -- but Lancaster also has half of Depew and they have their own force. (The other half of Depew is in Cheektowaga, so Depew operates in its village in 2 towns.) Bad choice. Even Kenmore ( pickiest force I know of) is only in its village boundaries or streets on the perimeter -- as Kenmore Ave (half Kenmore, half Buffalo), not the Town of Tonawanda.

Any force can call on another ( usually the next town) for help.
Thanks for the zoning explanations, I am not a Buffalo native so the information is helpful. I should have replaced “Lancaster”with “Area A”, would have been much simpler! While police of “Area A” may call in for assistance from police of other“Areas B, C, D, etc.” , a civil code can only be enforced by an officer who observed the alleged violation IN their jurisdiction . In my case and in my opinion, the NFTA officer was well out of the bounds of his jurisdiction and proceeded to harass me for properly recognizing his lack of authority.

Do you have any information regarding the jurisdiction and general practice of NFTA code enforcement?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
NFTA deals with anything which is their property ( bus, rail, land it is on, garages) and I expect the adjacent land. Part of the harbor is, I believe, NFTA property, so you see them down at the inner and outer harbor. I imagine that they have areas worked out with every PD they would be adjacent to and that is quite a few -- wherever a bus line is. Can't say for sure how they work.

Check their website > anything NFTA they cover

Old 08-10-2015, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,890 times
Default Clarification

The Transit Police are certified New York state police Officers. They go through the Erie County Central Police Service Police Academy with all other agencies (Buffalo, Cheektowaga, etc.). Their jurisdiction is covered under the New York State Criminal Procedure Law (CPL 1.20) and gives them full police powers anywhere the NFTA operates (Erie and Niagara Counties). They are to protect the transportation system in those areas, however they have full police powers outside of it. So to answer your question YES, they can pull you over and write you a ticket on any highway or street. Your ticket would have to be answered in the city or town in which is was issued. If they are driving down the street and you are committing a crime, then YES they will arrest you and you will be held in that town or city. I would suggest contacting the Chief of Police for that agency for further questions. But in conclusion I would not press the issue with any law enforcement agency until you know their full powers. Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 984 times
Do NFTA Traffic tickets add points on license if fine is paid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area