Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the Govt takes too much control over the state of NY
YES 61 71.76%
NO 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Upstate SC isn't too bad and is historically the most affluent region of the state. Columbia is growing as well and some people move to the SC portion of the Charlotte metro. So, the bigger metros are probably the way to go if considering a move to SC.

I think more people that may leave the Northeast may look west more often than they have in the past and this may include bigger, landlocked cities like Omaha or Albuquerque, if it isn't happening already.
I went to Greenville & Spartanburg, SC and around the Clemson area last year. Also toured the SC suburbs of Charlotte like Rock Hill and Fort Mill. I actually wasn't very impressed. Greenville, which is a city that everyone brags about being so great, was literally one beautiful tree-lined street surrounded by mind blowing amounts of sprawl and traffic in every direction. Other than the semi-corporate restaurants downtown, we couldn't find anyplace to eat besides chains more than one block away from downtown. Also, there were quite a few empty storefronts: http://goo.gl/maps/wJ6cb

Its New South and pretty in parts, but I didn't find much appeal in any of these areas. I know Raleigh is the poster child for New South sprawl, but it really does feel different there. I think its the collection of intact, historic small towns throughout the area vs one "new" downtown (Greenville) and no real other towns with any character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 AM

40 posts, read 48,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
Yeah it's so much cheaper in the south. You will save ton. Registering your cars is only $435 per car and $100 or so every year after. The 7 percent tax on food and clothing is awesome. My property tax is only $1800, but my homeowner's because of hurricanes is $3600 per year....I would much rather that money go to insurance companies, rather than schools. I am already saving for my infants private education, because the public schools are a joke. Thank goodness, I can pay out of pocket for k-12 education. You suckers in NY place a priority of outstanding public educations. I love paying to cool the house 9 months of year, and plus there is the money spent to add an inground pool, which adds no value to my property. All these things combined with lower salaries can't be beat.
Just moved from Florida where everyone seems to have a right to do pretty much anything they want. A cell phone user who chose to drive and text, t-boned me at an intersection because he was distracted. He actually started up from a stop sign and turned his Honda Pilot left into the driver's side of my Camry while he was picking up speed!! The police officer told him he was at fault for failure to yield right of way, but didn't issue a citation. NC - your satirical post is spot on. There is no Utopia - it's always something!! (Emily Litella).

Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
I say this to everyone:

We are fortunate to live in such a diverse country. To each its own. If you feel like you don't "fit in" or "belong" in New York, you will do the state a favor by leaving. New York (especially Buffalo!) is starting to show positive signs of economic renaissance. It already has amazing geogrophy / scenery and affordable public education (so every student has a chance). Anyone who doesn't contribute to our goal of building a better state / region does not belong.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:04 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
I say this to everyone:

We are fortunate to live in such a diverse country. To each its own. If you feel like you don't "fit in" or "belong" in New York, you will do the state a favor by leaving. New York (especially Buffalo!) is starting to show positive signs of economic renaissance. It already has amazing geogrophy / scenery and affordable public education (so every student has a chance). Anyone who doesn't contribute to our goal of building a better state / region does not belong.
Yawn. People get a little tired of the whole, "if you don't like it, then leave" mentality. There's no reason not to discuss the merits and drawbacks of an area.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times
I like the four seasons, reasonable summers, biking to work all year, no traffic, affordable living, etc., etc. Too many good things to list.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:51 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Upstate SC isn't too bad and is historically the most affluent region of the state. Columbia is growing as well and some people move to the SC portion of the Charlotte metro. So, the bigger metros are probably the way to go if considering a move to SC.

I think more people that may leave the Northeast may look west more often than they have in the past and this may include bigger, landlocked cities like Omaha or Albuquerque, if it isn't happening already.
In my brief stay in SC last year, I liked Georgetown the best, Conway second, and the Myrtle Beach/Murrell's Inlet area the least.
  • Georgetown has historic character and charm, and a paper mill that apparently is quite aromatic although it wasn't stinking when I was there so I can't comment on how that would affect my view of the town.
  • Conway is a county seat and appeared to have "real" businesses and jobs. Its downtown seems to be reviving.
  • Myrtle Beach/Murrell's Inlet is very touristy, sprawling, and crowded, but those aren't its biggest problems. Its problem, IMO, is that the area is being overwhelmed by cookie-cutter housing developments filled with snobby newcomers who only associate with other snobby newcomers. There's a real divide between the relatively wealthy newcomers and native South Carolinians, most of whom struggle along on $8-$10 an hour jobs. I include my friends who live in this area among the snobby newcomers. They've lived down there for almost 10 years and the only association they have with "locals" is in services/business etc. They thought I was odd for having a conversation with somebody who was obviously local about our favorite NASCAR drivers while we were standing in a line somewhere.
I don't think housing costs in the Carolina Low Country, at least for new-built housing in developments, is going to cost you less than in NYS. WNY's higher taxes are off-set by much higher home prices, much higher homeowners' insurance, and in the case of many of the newer developments in the Myrtle Beach/Murrell's Inlet area, higher HOA fees. Apparently in that area, it's popular for the HOAs to own and maintain the roads and other facilities.

If you're willing to "live like a local", then you can probably find a better deal on housing, but a lot of the people flocking to resort areas are looking for new-builds ... or recent-builds.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:27 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
In my brief stay in SC last year, I liked Georgetown the best, Conway second, and the Myrtle Beach/Murrell's Inlet area the least.
  • Georgetown has historic character and charm, and a paper mill that apparently is quite aromatic although it wasn't stinking when I was there so I can't comment on how that would affect my view of the town.
  • Conway is a county seat and appeared to have "real" businesses and jobs. Its downtown seems to be reviving.
  • Myrtle Beach/Murrell's Inlet is very touristy, sprawling, and crowded, but those aren't its biggest problems. Its problem, IMO, is that the area is being overwhelmed by cookie-cutter housing developments filled with snobby newcomers who only associate with other snobby newcomers. There's a real divide between the relatively wealthy newcomers and native South Carolinians, most of whom struggle along on $8-$10 an hour jobs. I include my friends who live in this area among the snobby newcomers. They've lived down there for almost 10 years and the only association they have with "locals" is in services/business etc. They thought I was odd for having a conversation with somebody who was obviously local about our favorite NASCAR drivers while we were standing in a line somewhere.
I don't think housing costs in the Carolina Low Country, at least for new-built housing in developments, is going to cost you less than in NYS. WNY's higher taxes are off-set by much higher home prices, much higher homeowners' insurance, and in the case of many of the newer developments in the Myrtle Beach/Murrell's Inlet area, higher HOA fees. Apparently in that area, it's popular for the HOAs to own and maintain the roads and other facilities.

If you're willing to "live like a local", then you can probably find a better deal on housing, but a lot of the people flocking to resort areas are looking for new-builds ... or recent-builds.
Yes, that divide tends to happen in areas like this, where the newcomers move to select communities. If you want to live like a local, you are more likely to have to deal with the issues that local deal with. There's also the difference in demographics, which may cause culture shock for someone moving from a small town in Cattaraugus County, like the OP. So, I think that there are other aspects people have to think about when potentially making a move like this.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:00 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Yes, that divide tends to happen in areas like this, where the newcomers move to select communities. If you want to live like a local, you are more likely to have to deal with the issues that local deal with. There's also the difference in demographics, which may cause culture shock for someone moving from a small town in Cattaraugus County, like the OP. So, I think that there are other aspects people have to think about when potentially making a move like this.
The OP will be happy because he'll get his cheap smokes without having to drive to the Rez ... and even if he isn't, he'll never admit it.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:35 PM

49 posts, read 82,309 times
In my opinion and I live here in NY, is NY will be the next state to go bankrupt like Calif. You say buffalo is better than SC than why are all the big gun companies relocating to Conway SC from Rochester NY and from Conn? They are adding jobs more and more. The unemployment rate for SC IMO will drop while NY unemployment rate soars from people and businesses leaving. With people moving away NY will have to increase taxes on the rest of us who remains to make up for it. Then the rest of us will be too broke to make that same move. Watch and see years from now that vicious cycle.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:57 PM

49 posts, read 82,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea if he's smoking he could be dead soon, shoulda made the move earlier. Make sure not to get killed by a distracted driver texting.
Guns for sale at the deli. Sounds like a paradise.

There are obvious reasons why south Carolina has one of the lowest life expectancies of all 50 states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
I say this to everyone:

Its people like you who gives us nyers a bad image to the others. Just because someone states his/her opinion about our state of NY doesn't give you the right to say we would be better off with them gone cause if you were intelligent you would know that when people move out of our state we lose revenue unless someone replaces that move. Keep telling people were better off with them gone and see where our state is years from now. Last I seen is more people are moving from here than relocating here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area