Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the Govt takes too much control over the state of NY
YES 61 71.76%
NO 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,349,181 times

Advertisements

Opin_Yunated:
Quote:
You actually think owning a gun is a divine right?
Show me a religious text that includes firearm ownership.
It has nothing to do with religion, it's not just firearms ownership it's the entire "Bill of Rights". When establishing our "Constitution and Bill of Rights" the founders believed that there had to be an authority whose powers were greater than that of any established government. It was that authority or our "Creator" who endowed us with certain unalienable rights that no government can supersede. Why do you think that they are sworn to uphold it? Is it that hard to understand? Well maybe for a "statist" such as yourself. You present an idiotic statement regarding religious text, but fail to understand or answer the question of what the phrase "We endowed by our creator with certain unalienable rights" means. Whether you are religious or not is meaningless. That phrase along with the "Bill of Rights" is there to ensure that the people of this great nation will never be enslaved by an oppressive or rogue government. The "Constitution" is the law of the land, get over it.

Quote:
"The law has been used to destroy it's own objective; It has been applied to annihilating the justice that it was supposed to maintain; to limiting and destroying rights which it's real purpose was to respect. The law has placed the collective force at the disposal of the unscrupulous who wish, without risk, to exploit the person, liberty, and property of others. It has converted plunder into a right in order to protect plunder. And it has converted lawful defense into a crime, in order to punish lawful defense." "But it is also true that a man may live and satisfy his wants by seizing and consuming the products of the labor of others. This process is the origin of plunder." --- The Law by Frederic Bastiat (1801-1850) French economist, statesman, and author. Pretty much sums up my political philosophy!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 05-22-2014 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 10:28 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I agree with every word you said. We thought about a move closer to Buffalo and your making me revisit it.

NY has the only or nearly the only laws against gun ownership. I could care less about the carry stuff. Heck sometimes I don't like the weight of my cell phone I sure don't wanna add a gun. But I live in a very hjgh crime area and often have to do some poking about at night. Having a 1911 in my belt would be easier then lugging a shotgun around.

I love the sound of your cabin. The part of NY I grew up in we had a cabin on some land. Really helped de-stress. Where I love now a reasonable drive just gets you to more ghetto or a million dollar an inch lake mansion.

I thought I had a job lined up in Lewistown but I had forgotten that was a customer not a sister plant. We do so much bussiness with them it's an easy mistake.
Thank you for the reply Sean. I hope you do find the right job fit and make your way to WNY. I think a lot of the state-to-state differences get blown out of proportion here by people who never left NY and are unhappy or from "honeymoon phase" relocated NY'ers. It isn't until you move around a bit that you start to really understand that the differences are usually just minor trade-off's and personal preferences (i.e. I can handle snow/20 degrees better than 100 degrees and I can deal with the extra paperwork and wait for a concealed carry permit, even though it irks me).
Some people think I'm a nut case for moving back to WNY after 13 yrs away. But they are typically less traveled people who think their lives would be perfect if they could just leave WNY. It doesn't work that way, in my experience. You are who who are wherever you go, regardless of the state.
I do wish our state government better reflected the sensibilities of the WNY area, but that will never be the case with the population distribution of the state what it is. So I will still be who I am and be happy here regardless.
The cabin is a dream come true for me. A life-long goal realized. Can't wait to head down there after work tomorrow for the long weekend!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:53 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Thank you for the reply Sean. I hope you do find the right job fit and make your way to WNY. I think a lot of the state-to-state differences get blown out of proportion here by people who never left NY and are unhappy or from "honeymoon phase" relocated NY'ers. It isn't until you move around a bit that you start to really understand that the differences are usually just minor trade-off's and personal preferences (i.e. I can handle snow/20 degrees better than 100 degrees and I can deal with the extra paperwork and wait for a concealed carry permit, even though it irks me).
Some people think I'm a nut case for moving back to WNY after 13 yrs away. But they are typically less traveled people who think their lives would be perfect if they could just leave WNY. It doesn't work that way, in my experience. You are who who are wherever you go, regardless of the state.
I do wish our state government better reflected the sensibilities of the WNY area, but that will never be the case with the population distribution of the state what it is. So I will still be who I am and be happy here regardless.
The cabin is a dream come true for me. A life-long goal realized. Can't wait to head down there after work tomorrow for the long weekend!
Pretty much this. Most of the whiners about NYS don't realize the truth of that statement because they've never relocated more than 20 miles from where they grew up. In fact, if you go to any of the state forums, you'll find numerous threads in each about all the problems that residents see in their states, from low wages to lack of water resources to high taxes. There's a thread on the Moving forum about posters deciding a few months after their big move that they really hated the job.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:39 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Pretty much this. Most of the whiners about NYS don't realize the truth of that statement because they've never relocated more than 20 miles from where they grew up. In fact, if you go to any of the state forums, you'll find numerous threads in each about all the problems that residents see in their states, from low wages to lack of water resources to high taxes. There's a thread on the Moving forum about posters deciding a few months after their big move that they really hated the job.
I completely agree with the statement "Wherever you go, there you are." I was a jerk in Rochester, NY and I'm still a jerk in Charleston, SC

But I do find that I have a huge sense of pride of where I live. I want to drape myself in SC, Gadsden, and Moultrie flags, learn about SC history, shop local. I am excited to talk about and show off this area to others. And I'm going out to eat and visit places more. Such pride in buying local goods, local beers, vendors, etc. All of which I didn't really care to do in New York.

So for the most part, yes, you move with your own baggage, but sometimes, you leave a few suitcases.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I completely agree with the statement "Wherever you go, there you are." I was a jerk in Rochester, NY and I'm still a jerk in Charleston, SC

But I do find that I have a huge sense of pride of where I live. I want to drape myself in SC, Gadsden, and Moultrie flags, learn about SC history, shop local. I am excited to talk about and show off this area to others. And I'm going out to eat and visit places more. Such pride in buying local goods, local beers, vendors, etc. All of which I didn't really care to do in New York.

So for the most part, yes, you move with your own baggage, but sometimes, you leave a few suitcases.
It's simply a case of "to each his own" as BigD_JT_14221 said. If you define happiness as being able to buy cheaper smokes and amass a personal arsenal as the OP seemed to do, well, then you aren't going to like New York. If you're into museums, art galleries, live theater, and opera, South Carolina is probably not a place you'd be happy in.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
It's simply a case of "to each his own" as BigD_JT_14221 said. If you define happiness as being able to buy cheaper smokes and amass a personal arsenal as the OP seemed to do, well, then you aren't going to like New York. If you're into museums, art galleries, live theater, and opera, South Carolina is probably not a place you'd be happy in.
Charleston is home to the USA's first theater.

But yeah, not into that stuff. Beach, ocean, palm trees, mild winters, slower pace. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!

Old 05-23-2014, 06:57 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Quote:
Pretty much. All I hear about is OMG the taxes the taxes!

Nothing is free. Other states make up their revenue by having less quality services, or more "fees" that they conveniently rename to avoid calling them "taxes." And yes, New York State taxes do pay for our lovely parks, schools, libraries, and free stuff. Most people I know who have relocated to Buffalo can't get over the amount of free public activities we have.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Pretty much. All I hear about is OMG the taxes the taxes!

Nothing is free. Other states make up their revenue by having less quality services, or more "fees" that they conveniently rename to avoid calling them "taxes." And yes, New York State taxes do pay for our lovely parks, schools, libraries, and free stuff. Most people I know who have relocated to Buffalo can't get over the amount of free public activities we have.
A lot of NYS taxes also go for things that just are the right thing to do. For example, NYS provides services to mentally retarded/developmentally disabled adults. Mentally retarded/developmentally disabled children are required to be provided services by federal law until they reach 21. After that, it's up to the individual states to decide to continue to assist them or not. These are among society's most vulnerable people through absolutely no fault of their own. They simply drew a short straw in life.

NYS provides funds so that mentally retarded adults can live in group homes and not be homeless if they're families can't provide for them. Most of this care is provided by non-profit organizations but for some individuals with multiple handicaps that private groups can't service, the state provides facilities in small group settings. NYS also funds programs like adult day care or respite services to help families that are providing care for their mentally disabled adult members. Many states don't have any facilities or programs to care for these adults, and if the families can't care for these individuals, they have to fend for themselves unless some charity comes to their rescue.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
A lot of NYS taxes also go for things that just are the right thing to do. For example, NYS provides services to mentally retarded/developmentally disabled adults. Mentally retarded/developmentally disabled children are required to be provided services by federal law until they reach 21. After that, it's up to the individual states to decide to continue to assist them or not. These are among society's most vulnerable people through absolutely no fault of their own. They simply drew a short straw in life.

NYS provides funds so that mentally retarded adults can live in group homes and not be homeless if they're families can't provide for them. Most of this care is provided by non-profit organizations but for some individuals with multiple handicaps that private groups can't service, the state provides facilities in small group settings. NYS also funds programs like adult day care or respite services to help families that are providing care for their mentally disabled adult members. Many states don't have any facilities or programs to care for these adults, and if the families can't care for these individuals, they have to fend for themselves unless some charity comes to their rescue.
All states do this, albeit in different amounts of funding, sometimes depending on population, sometimes not. What I can tell you is that just because a certain amount is spent, doesn't mean it's always spent efficiently. I was involved on a state-level in assessment of some of this and it ranges from hyper-efficient to grossly inefficient depending on the agency and region, not to mention there are backdoor uses of that funding.

Also, of the percentage of funding spent on the DD/ID population, most of it, for each state, is federally funded, through Medicaid or related grant-programs.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 AM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:

Things are going to get interesting given the increased diagnosis of people on the Autism spectrum. So, some of this is going to be something that people that haven't had to consider this before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area