Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 04:17 AM

36 posts, read 49,299 times

Advertisements

Im a 25 year old bio grad trying to find work... any work, in the science field. Not necessarily bio. I'm not looking for high end work or a well paying job or anything. Right now I'm just looking for some kind of temp oppurtunity to get started. I live in Cleveland right now but I want to move. No necessarily long term, I just want something different as i've been in NE Ohio my entire life. I would def consider moving back at somepoint as I really like Cleveland, but now's not that time.

I feel like I would love Denver or Seattle, as in general I prefer cold over heat, and I think the mountanous regions are beautiful. I like being outdoors hiking/running and Those areas would have a lot to offer. But I also feel like trying to move that far out without much work experience under my belt might be tricky... I don't really know how people go about moving that long of a distance without a job in place. So right now i'm looking at Buffalo, Columbus, Rochester, maybe Pittsburgh or Chicago. Also Indy, tho I really known nothung about that city. Im thinking about Tonawanda or farther north towards Niagara. I hear Buffalo has a really good park system. Do they have what Cleveland has to offer as far as the Metroparks/Cuyahoga Vally National Park? Does Buffalo have artsy-hipster neighborhooods? Anything like Coventry in Cleveland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 04:21 AM

Also how is the commute on I-90 between buffalo and cleveland during the winter? Another reason I'm looking at somplace closer to CLE (vs say, Denver) is that I want something closer to family and friends. I fear that it's be painful to drive due to the lake effect snow. I'm dreading driving up for interviews when/if I get any

Old 11-25-2014, 05:24 AM

94,118 posts, read 124,939,226 times
I think this has been suggested to you before, but this may help: Biotech, Pharmaceutical, Medical Device, and Chemical Company Jobs in the State of New York

Also, I'd consider the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area, as it offers or is close to the things you like to do. It is a smaller metro area in terms of population, but not by a lot more than Buffalo. There are smaller areas up here that offer those things, but I'm not sure if you would be open to them.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:21 AM

Thanks i'll look into that area too. Its a bit farther than what I was hoping for but not out of the question

Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 AM

94,118 posts, read 124,939,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrrs89 View Post
Thanks i'll look into that area too. Its a bit farther than what I was hoping for but not out of the question
No problem. Just in case you find something in the area, Allentown and Elmwood Village will have the artsy vibe you may be looking for. South of the city/area may work in terms of outdoor amenities/activities that you are looking for.

Also, are you looking strictly at bigger areas or would smaller areas be a possibility?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:01 AM

694 posts, read 1,042,991 times
Quote:
Im a 25 year old bio grad trying to find work... any work, in the science field. Not necessarily bio. I'm not looking for high end work or a well paying job or anything. Right now I'm just looking for some kind of temp oppurtunity to get started. I live in Cleveland right now but I want to move. No necessarily long term, I just want something different as i've been in NE Ohio my entire life. I would def consider moving back at somepoint as I really like Cleveland, but now's not that time.

I feel like I would love Denver or Seattle, as in general I prefer cold over heat, and I think the mountanous regions are beautiful. I like being outdoors hiking/running and Those areas would have a lot to offer. But I also feel like trying to move that far out without much work experience under my belt might be tricky... I don't really know how people go about moving that long of a distance without a job in place. So right now i'm looking at Buffalo, Columbus, Rochester, maybe Pittsburgh or Chicago. Also Indy, tho I really known nothung about that city. Im thinking about Tonawanda or farther north towards Niagara. I hear Buffalo has a really good park system. Do they have what Cleveland has to offer as far as the Metroparks/Cuyahoga Vally National Park? Does Buffalo have artsy-hipster neighborhooods? Anything like Coventry in Cleveland?
You will be one of many of thousands looking to move to Denver and/or one of those whose has moved here without work trying to survive. People who move here without jobs apply for anything to make bank and rent apartments which are now some of the highest rents in the nation. There are entry level service industry jobs available, but they don't pay much and without a roommate or two it will be extremely difficult to make rent, etc.

Traffic here during the day, especially rush hour, absolutely sucks. Saturdays are no better.

If you don't have a job offer before moving here or have several thousand saved up, I would not suggest Denver.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:30 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,334,641 times
Quote:

You might also want to look at the University of Rochester/Strong hospital with your BIO degree. Rochester also has a number of artsy/hipster neighborhoods.

Specifically the South Wedge is very "hip":
South Wedge - Rochester Wiki

There's also the "Neighborhood Of The Arts":
Neighborhood of the Arts - Rochester Wiki

A good reference on many of the other neighborhoods:
Southeast Quadrant - Rochester Wiki

Old 11-26-2014, 11:39 AM

Im looking more for bigger areas I think. But ill go where I find a job. I've been jobless for almost 2 months now so i'm expanding my search. It def makes it harder when you aren't local. I don't want to go any farther south than Columbus I don't think, because I hate heat and am really ok with the cold, just not mass amounts of snow. (I know about Buffalo's snow. I would want to live north more towards Niagara).

Why is there such an influx to Denver? A friend of mine is set on moving there next year but doesn't have any prospects lined up either. I'd love to live there eventually, but not yet.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Quick question regarding this site. Is there a way I can quickly view just the threads I posted in/started?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:27 PM

694 posts, read 1,042,991 times
Quote:
Im looking more for bigger areas I think. But ill go where I find a job. I've been jobless for almost 2 months now so i'm expanding my search. It def makes it harder when you aren't local. I don't want to go any farther south than Columbus I don't think, because I hate heat and am really ok with the cold, just not mass amounts of snow. (I know about Buffalo's snow. I would want to live north more towards Niagara).

Why is there such an influx to Denver? A friend of mine is set on moving there next year but doesn't have any prospects lined up either. I'd love to live there eventually, but not yet.
Many people started moving here in the mid-90's (then mostly from California) after the Rodney King incident and the California real estate market crashing. Nicer homes and neighborhoods were an attraction for those from Southern California. Word then caught on and more people from around the country caught the bug and moved here. It stayed that way until about 2009 when the economy crashed. Inbound migration slowed up and some people who moved here, departed. They saw how bad the traffic and population growth became and moved on to other cities that became a "hip place" to live.

However, in about 2012, the market turned around and people are now jamming the city since it's again considered a "cool place" to live. Therefore, the real estate market prices and rentals are sky rocketing with massive increases. However, job growth has not kept with the inbound migration, except for chump change jobs that won't pay the rent. Unless you have a good job offer lined up before, it's going to be difficult to land a high paying job. Some employers will take resumes from out-of-state and trash them.

Further, there is also this misconception that you can roll of bed and be on a ski slope in 30 minutes. Not true. The drive to the mountains on weekends is heinous. It can take up to 3 hours to get to Breckenridge, one of the closer ski resorts. Unless you have big bucks, forget about Vail or Aspen.

Every restaurant in the metro area on the weekend has a waiting line. Ticket prices for concerts and sporting events, are through the roof. The best thing for a local sports team is is for them to be a loser so the scalpers will be forced to sell way below face value, except for the Broncos. They always command a high ticket price, win or lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area