Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:42 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I appreciate Jim Kelly's enthusiasm, but he essentially has to convince investors how he's going to make them money despite any loan debt/interest, need for a new stadium, and increase in revenue to mirror the most recent stadium developments (like Cowboys or MetLife). It may be that another eventual outcome could be that buyers, seeing local needs surmounting profitability, may end up losing enough money in the process, and the team goes up for sale again. And at that point, it's a death sentence.

I'm surprised there is not any talk about mirroring the Packers with a publicly owned, nonprofit model. That's how they seem to survive a little easier
And I repeat, the Bills are one of the most watched Franchises in the league, despite its small market. TV ratings, TV ratings.

Buffalo does not have a wealth problem. We have 10 million residents within 100 miles from the Stadium. If you need executive boxes, have the new owners take a day trip up to Bay Street and make some sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:07 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post
I think Syracuse's downtown actually has more of a "big city" feel than most parts of downtown Buffalo. The Armory Square area is great.
Did not get that vibe at all...and the comparison (Buffalo) doesn't put up all that much of a fight. Syracuse's downtown seemed like a mini-Buffalo, a bit more desolate than the still-depressing Buffalo downtown. The rest of the city that I saw, as I said, reminded me of a bigger Binghamton.

ckh, I saw the nice neighborhoods to the east of the university. The problem was, they were entirely residential and depressingly quiet on an overcast Sunday in late April. No Elmwood or even Hertel in that city that I could see.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,890 times
Shuffle?
Shovel snow?

You have some nice Art Deco buldings in Buffalo.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Shuffle?
Shovel snow?

You have some nice Art Deco buldings in Buffalo.
No less fun than engaging in flagrantly discriminatory behavior against people of [possibly] Mexican descent, right?

Old 05-20-2014, 01:28 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Did not get that vibe at all...and the comparison (Buffalo) doesn't put up all that much of a fight. Syracuse's downtown seemed like a mini-Buffalo, a bit more desolate than the still-depressing Buffalo downtown. The rest of the city that I saw, as I said, reminded me of a bigger Binghamton.

ckh, I saw the nice neighborhoods to the east of the university. The problem was, they were entirely residential and depressingly quiet on an overcast Sunday in late April. No Elmwood or even Hertel in that city that I could see.
This was on a Sunday. So, that could be it. I take it that you didn't go to Armory Square or Hanover Square in Downtown or to Westcott or Eastwood. If you went east of campus by going east on Euclid and north on Westcott, you would have ran into the business district. If you went south on Westcott, you would run into Barry Park and just east of campus is Thornden Park. James Street takes you to Eastwood. There are some places on North Salina and pubs/restaurants on Tipp Hill.

Again, I don't think you went around to these areas.

Binghamton's West and Southwestern neighborhoods are very nice and its Downtown is coming along. It is a very safe metro comparatively as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-20-2014 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 02:07 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
And I repeat, the Bills are one of the most watched Franchises in the league, despite its small market. TV ratings, TV ratings.

Buffalo does not have a wealth problem. We have 10 million residents within 100 miles from the Stadium. If you need executive boxes, have the new owners take a day trip up to Bay Street and make some sales.
That was a Buffalo author that wrote that article, BTW.

You may also need to check your facts:

NFL Teams Saw Local Market Ratings Gains In '13; Chiefs, Seahawks Up Big - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2...he_league.html

TV ratings are done on a "share" basis, meaning what the percentage of TV viewing audience is watching. That doesn't mean more watchers, it means a greater percentage of watchers.

Buffalo total viewers estimates: 631,120
Buffalo Bills share - 32.8
Buffalo Bills viewers - 207007

NYC total viewers estimates: 7,433,820
NY Giants share - 15.3
NY Giants viewers - 1,137,374

Share of a market is important for local advertising (little $), but market size is important for national advertising (BIG $$$$). Share weighs little on the actual value of a team.

What you really should be paying attention to:

Football's Most Valuable Teams List - Forbes

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 05-20-2014 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This was on a Sunday. So, that could be it. I take it that you didn't go to Armory Square or Hanover Square in Downtown or to Westcott or Eastwood. If you went east of campus by going east on Euclid and north on Westcott, you would have ran into the business district. If you went south on Westcott, you would run into Barry Park and just east of campus is Thornden Park. James Street takes you to Eastwood. There are some places on North Salina and pubs/restaurants on Tipp Hill.

Again, I don't think you went around to these areas.

Binghamton's West and Southwestern neighborhoods are very nice and its Downtown is coming along. It is a very safe metro comparatively as well.
I didn't realize the downtown was even big enough to warrant a distinction between separate areas...obviously squares can be located at opposite ends of the same block, so. I'd have to consult a map (and a local one at that) to see in detail the places you mention and how they correspond with the territory I traversed. I will say this--I noted as I passed the Landmark Theater that one of my all-time favorite bands, Alice In Chains, was advertised as having a show there a week or two hence...and my instant mental response was, nah, wouldn't be worth it to have to come back to this place. So that might give you some idea of how poor of an impression the downtown area made with me. The only thing I thought was cool was some sort of old-school-seeming record store that was located at the end of a "downtown cul-de-sac", if such a thing can exist. I believe it might actually have been called "the Sound Garden", thus referencing another great early nineties (primarily...but like AIC, still around today) Seattle band. If I am remembering correctly, then that is the definite highlight of your city in my book.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize the downtown was even big enough to warrant a distinction between separate areas...obviously squares can be located at opposite ends of the same block, so. I'd have to consult a map (and a local one at that) to see in detail the places you mention and how they correspond with the territory I traversed. I will say this--I noted as I passed the Landmark Theater that one of my all-time favorite bands, Alice In Chains, was advertised as having a show there a week or two hence...and my instant mental response was, nah, wouldn't be worth it to have to come back to this place. So that might give you some idea of how poor of an impression the downtown area made with me. The only thing I thought was cool was some sort of old-school-seeming record store that was located at the end of a "downtown cul-de-sac", if such a thing can exist. I believe it might actually have been called "the Sound Garden", thus referencing another great early nineties (primarily...but like AIC, still around today) Seattle band. If I am remembering correctly, then that is the definite highlight of your city in my book.
Yeah, there's also Clinton Square(where most of the festivals occur and ice skating in the winter), Columbus Circle and some may include Franklin Square into Downtown. Sound Garden is in Armory Square. Even by the University, there's Marshall Street and the East Genesee Street corridor where Syracuse Stage is located north of campus, along with Westcott east of campus. Home » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

Greater University Hill*

Like I mentioned before, Westcott is more like Allentown and the Westcott Theater has live bands/performances all of the time. The Westcott Theater

The Palace Theater in Eastwood has a variety of events as well: The Palace Theatre

Just outside of the city is this spot too: Lost Horizon

There's other places depending on what you are looking for. Then you have things here: Destiny USA | Your Shopping, Dining, and Entertainment Destination

Old 05-20-2014, 02:28 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,682 times
Quote:

Then you have seen Armory Square. I love the way you describe it. I remember the first time I saw it, I was like this is it?? Its tiny. A short legged person could walk the whole area in 4½ minutes.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Then you have seen Armory Square. I love the way you describe it. I remember the first time I saw it, I was like this is it?? Its tiny. A short legged person could walk the whole area in 4½ minutes.
I don't know about 4 and a half minutes, but it is a small, compact area. It is pretty much a bunch of restaurants, bars, clothing stores and some specialty stores, along with the MOST, which has an IMAX Theater. Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY

Hanover Square also has some restaurants, a couple of clothing stores and bars/clubs: Hanover Square, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area